Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC Performance
  •  
rbcomp

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

I´m runing an 85 users instalation on an HP ML150 G# server (Doble Xeon 5110 (Dual Core), 1 GB RAM and 2 250 GB SATA HDDs on RAID 1 with a Hot Spare by hardware).

The server is incredible SLOW when using KOC but sometimes also when using POP or IMAP.

The only thing on the Win 2003 Server is the server itself, Kerio and a NOD32 engine which is excluding the Kerio directory...

Can you please recomend something to make this faster? And I mean... A LOT Faster!!

If I can´t fix this problem I´m sure we are going to switch to Exchange and I want to avoid that!!.

Ant Ideas on the delivery timeline of the KOC OffLine mode??

Anyway, I will appreciate all help you can provide me, please!!

Rafael Bullrich
Technical Support
RB Computacion SRL
Buenos Aires, Argentina
rbullrich_at_rbc.com.ar
  •  
cachedmode

Hi Rafael,

Some of us have been waiting three years plus for offline mode so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I suspect the KOC users who need decent performance have moved to (or back to) exchange server. Others have just had to live with it.

Sorry I can't be of more help but it doesn't get any better.

•  
interferences

cachedmode wrote on Tue, 31 July 2007 14:23

I suspect the KOC users who need decent performance have moved to (or back to) exchange server. Others have just had to live with it.

KOC was much too slow on our server, so I find myself back using POP3 for the first time in years (IMAP with Outlook wasn't fun either). And I must say, I really don't like it (not to speak of KSP that crashes Outlook because it expects some old profile that does no longer exist...). At least, with POP, I can browse, search, and flag my messages conveniently - leaves me some space to dream of the good 'ol times with Thunderbird Rolling Eyes
  •  
thaddl

I feel your pain.

We moved to KMS this past weekend and since then it has been non-stop complaints about how slow email is. We have about 85 users connected. I liked KMS b/c of how easy it is to install and keep running. But most of all I needed the easy backup and archive features. We use Liveoffice for email archiving and this works great with KMS.

Our sever is a
Dell
Raid 1 300GB 10k RPM drives
dual core xenon processor
2 GB of ram
Windows 2003 Server

The downfall is with the KOC. If KOC has this many problems, I don't see the point in using Kerio at all. Small mailboxes are fine, or large boxes that are organized well. The problem seems to be with the number of messages in the folder. Anything over 1500 emails in a single folder and it seems to bring sorting and searching for emails to a crawl. Performance monitoring on the server prove me right. The initial sort is ok, but if you sort by "to" or "from" and then type a letter to advance through the sort. Outlook locks up for minutes.

We moved a few of the complainers back to POP, but that kind of defeats the point of using KMS. How do you backup pop accounts if they are installed all over the office.

Its been a very long week for me. I hope I don't get fired for recommending KMS.

I may be spending this weekend moving everyone back to POP. We'll see how it goes.

•  
winkelman

It seems you don't use the groupware functionality (you don't mention it as a problem when going back to POP3), so why use the KOC at all int he first place?

You'd be much better of with an IMAP client. That still leaves all mail on the server, so backup and archiving is still done nicely on the server.

You could use Outlook for IMAP, but Outlook is not very good at it. Thunderbird would be a far better (and free) choice.

Another option: my whole company is on Webmail. Works excellent for us and does has full groupware capabilities. And no more client programs to worry about or maintain at all.
  •  
thaddl

Actually that's why we wanted to go with Kerio to give us the affordable groupware functionality. We didn't have it until I installed Kerio. That's how I am trying to justify keeping people on KOC despite the poor performance.

IMAP is the next best option I suppose, but we need to stick with Outlook which from my understanding has it's quirks also.

Webmail - Another huge bonus for using KMS. I love it. The problem here is that we use POP for other accounts, that we can't move off the existing server.

We'll see how it ends up. I'm just frustrated. I guess I had higher expectations - esp for KOC.
  •  
My IT Indy

You could have the kerio mailserver download the pop email from the external accounts and deliver it to the local users.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
sjourney

You need more disks in your array. and faster ones.

Also you can have IMAP and KOC in the same outlook profile. Kind of confusing but it works.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 August 2007 19:48]

•  
thaddl

10,000rpm disks aren't fast enough? It's a new server, but we can use it for something else. We have considered moving to 15,000rpm drives in a RAID 10, 4 150gb drives, as well as upgrading the ram to 4gb. Would this give us a noticeable increase in performance? Would hate to spend the extra money to not see any difference.
  •  
cachedmode

Be very careful!

Whilst a faster disk subsystem will make for a slight performance improvement you will spend a lot and still not come close to what I would consider 'acceptable' & certainly nowhere near MS Exchange.

Hence everyone is putting their hopes on cached mode which may never materialise...

•  
My IT Indy

I'm hosting a KMS installation on a Linode VPS which has blazingly fast access. Guess what? KOC sucks. I use webmail on my Vista box as I cannot stand the slow access Outlook 2007 has. I've hosted KMS on a multitude of boxes and can say that you're wasting your time spending money on faster disks past a decent raid with 7200rpm disks as you won't get the ROI.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
winkelman

thaddl wrote on Thu, 02 August 2007 20:37

We have considered moving to 15,000rpm drives in a RAID 10, 4 150gb drives, as well as upgrading the ram to 4gb. Would this give us a noticeable increase in performance?

The faster the disks, the better. RAID-10 would be good as well. KOC will indeed be noticeable faster. But will if become acceptable for you: difficult question. Some people say it will never be, other people here (with large installations) use KOC to their satisfaction. Perhaps they have different setups, or perhaps just different expectations/requirements.

KMS does not consume a lot of RAM. 200Mb at the max over here. Add another 200Mb for the SpamAssassin thread and you're maxing out at most at 500Mb. Adding more RAM won't lead to KMS using more of it. So their is no need to spend money on additional RAM if you're not hitting the pagefile now.
  •  
shaggie16

RAID 10 is definitely the way to go - I tend to use 4 x 10,000RPM Raptor Sata Disks.

Of course, if the rumours that I rcvd in an email are true, we can expect off line cacheing in October.......

thaddl

October would be great. I talked to the tech a few weeks ago and he said by the end of the year.

For now though, we are moving everyone to pop. I'm just getting too many complaints.

Next time I need to buy a server I'll maybe swap this one out with a new one and Raid 10 15K rpm drives. We'll see what it costs first.
Previous Topic: More Errors after Upgrade to 6.4.1
Next Topic: URGENT: 451 qq temporary problem? What is causing this?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 20:36:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00514 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.