Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » NTFS tuning
  •  
rinzwind

Send a private message to this user
I am curious if the following tweeks to the NTFS system causes an increase in performance for those who have KOC problems (even if IMAP performance is okay).

CountOperations: perfmon I/O data. Could cause performance degration when there is a multiprocessor system in place and considerable disk I/O.
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation: disables creation of 8.3 filenames. (writes)
NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate: disables last access data (this is another thing as last modified!)

Copy and paste to ntfstweek.reg and import it. A reboot is required.

>>>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\I/O System]
"CountOperations"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSys tem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
<<<

Try it at your own risk. Please share your findings! I have implemented these tweeks. However, I didn't and do not have performance problems (I DO have a list of required enhancements to KOC!).

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2007 15:56]

•  
rinzwind

-Schedule automatic weekly full defrag (hint: jkdefrag)
-No external virusscanners (only integrated Kerio e-mail scanning). If you want an external virusscanner enabled because you have for example shared network folders on your mail server exclude system parts.
  •  
winkelman

Defragment the drive regularly, definitely. KMS drives get fragmented just by looking at it, so it seems Smile.

rinzwind wrote on Sun, 05 August 2007 12:43

-Schedule automatic weekly full defrag (hint: jkdefrag)

Simply scheduling the built-in defrag works just fine as well... no 3rd party software needed. I've scheduled a defrag to run every night, just to keep ahead of things (and 'Blat' emails me the 'before' and 'after', so I know what's going on).
  •  
elias

rinzwind wrote on Sat, 04 August 2007 06:50

I am curious if the following tweeks to the NTFS system causes an increase in performance for those who have KOC problems (even if IMAP performance is okay).

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

All of the KMS email files on disk are already in 8.3 format, so the filesystem doesn't need to create the extra records. This won't help KMS/KOC performance.

Quote:

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
Its possible that on a *very* busy mail server that this could help, but I doubt you'll get more than a very small fraction of a percent. The amount of work it takes to update this attribute is so small compared with the rest of the disk I/O. Besides, the write cache on your controller will catch these small requests, and they'll probably be batched to disk periodically, so any possible benefit would be immeasurable. As others have suggested, defragging on a regular basis is far more important and beneficial.

Quote:

Copy and paste to ntfstweek.reg and import it. A reboot is required.
I'd also suggest if you do want to make these changes, that you use the fsutil tool rather than modifying the registry directly.

-Elias

•  
rinzwind

Fsutil does exactly the same (editing the registry), but one of the methods isn't possible with it. Importing a proper .reg file is perfectly safe. To undo the changes simply invert the values.
Previous Topic: User not receive e-mail from other user to domain
Next Topic: KSP will not install on Standard user in Vista
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:02:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.