Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS in General (My days in testing)
  •  
api984

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

Since I had time to do some testing here are some results:

KMS 6.2.0
:::::::::
Clients:
Outlook 2003 SP2 - KOC,IMAP - Had lots of trouble with it.
Mostly it blocked and freezed. So I left it out. (I'll try to remove it and install it again).

Mozilla Thunderbird - IMAP works really well, tested 2 users reading same mailbox (flags and updating, fast).
LDAP-doesnt work (noticed on Outlook Express a trick-you need to authorize yourself on LDAP, I used internal database for users).

Outlook Express-the only client that worked without problems.
The Bat - works well but it is still buggy. Nice client and lots of options, for some user working for first time you need to study GUI for some 20min to see whats up. Syncronization is SLOW. You need to set it up a little more unlike Thunderbird and Outlook Express. LDAP works OK. Need to go to Find People Option and Search. Dont know how to get the whole list.

::::::::::
KOC - tryed it.... works slow... and you are limited to only 1 user... Unlike Exchange where you can have more mailboxes using MAPI. I prefer IMAP.

Public folders work ok. And these folders are your newsgroup folders also.

Remote Mail POP3 works ok. Spam filter also works on Remote mail.

Webmail

Many skins. But there are things missing. Like Send On Behalf (only your default email and aliases). But what if you want to send mail using a difderent domain. You can only define 1 more From Address (I need more since I use mailboxes (Users as : Sales,Booking,Marketing....). So I would need more From fields.
Simple to use when you wish to share folder or add shared folder.

PS. Since I did not find a way in OE or Thunderbird how to ADD shared folders. Add them using WebMail.

WebMail is Missing on the left side to add more Mailboxes....
So I need to share and do permissions on these folders.

Search in only SUBJECT based. Can't search inside of body.
Offline messages in TB and OE... Haven't tryed it.... But I think it will work.

We are currently using Exchange2000. And we are thinking to migrate to KMS. Since I am not sure what resources KMS is gonna do to our server, I hope it will work better than exchange using IMAP.

Since it is easy to configure I had no problems using it.

I migrated some accounts from Exchange to KMS.

Exchange Mailbox Size is : 950MB
KMS increased it on 1,2GB

-KMS increases mailbox size in migration
--folders are structured very well, simple overwrite fixes all.
--backup also

::::::::::::::::::::::
Our mailboxes are in GBs for Main Company Emails, User 500mb or less
#Users at least 100 who are reading multiple mailboxes, whitch also increases number of connections.
Still afraid if KMS is gonna hold on.
Main reason for KMS: Exchange Limitation to 25gb database, we have to archive all the time, offline defragmentation and Exch.. eats lot of resources (disk read time, disks are working like crazy).

That would be for now.
  •  
rleslie70

We've been on kerio for a little over a year. We have around 700 users now - about 400 or so when we started with Kerio. You are not going to find all of the bells and whistles that you get with exchange. I came from a company that ran exchange so i am aware of some of the things you can do with exchange and you can't do a lot of those things with kerio.

That said. you can send email from a different domain using kerio. However, through webmail it requires to log in with the domain name of the secondary domain ie user<_a.t_>domain.com.

Most of our users are pop3. We do have a need for the KOC because a lot of our users like to work in more than one place. But right now because of the latency issues we can't realistically implement it. KOC also uses up a lot of your server's resources as it is now. Supposedly they're going to be releasing a version of KOC that has offline caching ....which should speed things up, if they ever release it.

In any case, Kerio is a very stable email platform. It runs on both windows and linux. We chose Windows just because i'm more familiar with Windows. However, it's not an exact exchange replacement. A lot of the bells and whistles of exchange are not there and the one that are do not work quite as well as exchange.

But still it is a decent product. Ok..i'll shut up now..
  •  
api984

That's cool. Well in our Company is very important that multiple users can read same mailboxes like Sales,groups and so on. Because they use flags on emails and other neat things. That is why email server is important to us. POP3 doesn't have what we need. I use pop3 at home when I need some emails. Thats for now...
  •  
RPC_Admin

Apj,

Just tossing this out there you said you were test 6.2.0. That is a handful of versions back. I am running 6.4.1, and I can assure you when Kerio releases an update they tend to have alot in them. While I haven't kept up enough to know what they have changed since 6.2.0, it might be worth investigating.
  •  
api984

I chosen this version with the reason because its older. New versions for me mean more bugs to find or something like that.

So I choose software on the basis to be stable and with less bugs or problems.

However I did not have any problems yet with 6.2.0 version. That is why I still do simulations and testing.... Before I make my mind what to do next...
  •  
ccjwells

I just want to point out that if you decide to use the webmail client, it will not with IE7. IE7 was not supported until 6.3.
Previous Topic: CA eTrust Antivirus r8.1 does not work with Kerio 6.3.1
Next Topic: Thunderbird + Lightning
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 04:42:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.