Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Winroute with Windows 2000
  •  
babek

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I installed winroute on windows xp. but the program didn't work. Now I'm using winroute on windows server 2003. But my computer has very slow memory, so it is almost impossible to work with windows server 2003.

I want to install winroute (the latest version) as router on windows 2000 workstation sp4. Can you tell me, will it work out?

Many thanks,
  •  
babek

u dont understand. ok. can u tell me what is the difference between win xp and windows server 2003 for installing winroute?
  •  
winkelman

I understand just fine. There's no difference. If it doesn't work on your XP, there's something wrong with your XP installation. KWF works the same on all platforms.
  •  
babek

ok. just tell me the difference between win xp and win 2oo3 server.
in network config point of view. why do we use 2003 but not xp, or why we sometimes use xp but not 2003.

if u know this, u can understand me then.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 August 2007 06:48]

•  
RHarmsen.nl

babek wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 06:45

ok. just tell me the difference between win xp and win 2oo3 server.
in network config point of view. why do we use 2003 but not xp, or why we sometimes use xp but not 2003.

if u know this, u can understand me then.

The Windows Server editions are developed to be a server operating system, where some services are disabled that are in XP like, sound, Theming (blue stuff) etc, but these can be enabled with just a mouse click.

Next to that Windows server has some specific server features like Active Directory, DNS Server, DHCP server etc which can be used.

For running Winroute on these systems, I don't know what the real difference is, many company's run it on a server edition, as the router is after all a server.

For my self, i also think windows server 2003, uses less memory then XP, mostly due to the fact that some features are disabled which you don't need on a server.

Hope this helps
  •  
babek

ok. i agree with u.

but the real difference among them is, the win 2003 gives unlimited connection for clients at once. but xp gives only 10 connexion at once.

that is the real difference. that is why winroute dint work correctly on xp.

what about windows 200, it is, windows 2000 has no limit for connection. (remote connection) just because Microsoft didn't supply it with this service.

that is the main reason.

but as a system, all above are acceptable for winroute, but as a router it will wrk better only win 2000 and 2003.

•  
winkelman

babek wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 15:01

but the real difference among them is, the win 2003 gives unlimited connection for clients at once. but xp gives only 10 connexion at once.

That's a common misunderstanding. XP allows only 10 concurrent File and Printer Sharing connections. Indeed, for that Microsoft wants you to buy their server OS's, as well as expensive Client Access Licenses per user/device. (So I don't know where you get the 'unlimited connection' from, you'd have to pay for each and every one).

Anyway, this has nothing to do with other 3rd party services on XP boxes. They can open up as many connections as the service can handle.
Previous Topic: DNS LOOKUP FAILED ERROR
Next Topic: Local Traffic limitation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 07:14:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00473 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.