Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SMTP AUTH for FwHost
  •  
HaSchuk

Send a private message to this user
Situation:

Kerio 6.4.1.p1 is installed on a W2003 EE Server at our company and should be used as an internal alternative for Exchange providing mail and groupware functions.

Our Domain: mycompany.com

Mails are hosted via POP3/SMTP at our rented Internet/Mail Service Provider ourisp.de

Mails are delivered into Kerio with the built-in POP3-Connector, outgoing mails outside the domain are relayed via a relay account (SMTP AUTH) to smtp.ourisp.de. One primary domain (mycompany.com) ist set up in KMS.

So far everything is perfect, groupware functionality ok, internal and external mails go the right ways:

Problem:

Some of our co-workers are located at a different town so they have no connection to our internal Kerio server (and should not have!!). To face this the function SMTP Forwarding host (FWHost) within the DOMAINS configuration exists and was setted up (smtp.ourisp.de).

These "outside" users have no internal Kerio account, so if I (admin<_a.t_>mycompany.com) will send a mail to outsideuser1<_a.t_>mycompany.com this will be handled via the FwHost settings. The problem is that our Relay-SMTP (ourisp.de) affords SMTP AUTH which is not implemented in the FWHost settings in KMS. Why not (in Exchange SMTP for forwarding hosts is implemented)? Is there any other way to do this. If not, Kerio will be useless for our company.

Regards

Harald

[Updated on: Sat, 25 August 2007 17:19]

•  
planeetta

Are you using this outside SMTP server because your ISP has blocked the port 25 or do you have anorhet reason for using an outside SMTP server?

If you have the port 25 open, I think you should not forward the messages trough the smtp of your isp but you could do it directly to the server that actuallly receives the messages of your domain (check mx records of your domain). I would expect that Kerios functionality is ment to be used like this.

•  
HaSchuk

planeetta wrote on Sat, 25 August 2007 23:56

If you have the port 25 open, I think you should not forward the messages trough the smtp of your isp but you could do it directly to the server that actuallly receives the messages of your domain (check mx records of your domain).

The SMTP of our ISP IS the server that receives the messages of our domain. And the server REQUIRES SMTP AUTH, that is my problem. In the setup of the ouside SMTP server there is no problem to set an authentication method but not for forwarding host in the DOMAIN setup section

[/quote]
  •  
mail4me

This is an old problem and a old request, too:

See here [solution included]
forum post September 2005

•  
planeetta

Quote:

The SMTP of our ISP IS the server that receives the messages of our domain. And the server REQUIRES SMTP AUTH, that is my problem

OK - this probably doesn't help you but... and maybe i have not completely understood your situation.. but:

I am just curious how other email servers can then can send emails to that server if SMTP auth is required by everyone - say a hotmail server would send email to your domain?

It would check the MX of your domain and push it to port 25 and the email server would receive the email (or your would not be receiving a lot of mail)

Lauri

•  
winkelman

HaSchuk wrote on Mon, 27 August 2007 13:59

The SMTP of our ISP IS the server that receives the messages of our domain. And the server REQUIRES SMTP AUTH, that is my problem.

There is no reason why you'd need to send your email through the same server that receives your email. Why don't you just deliver your email directly to the recipients email server?

You never need authentication when you deliver mail to the destination mail server. Anyone can connect to a mail server and send messages to that mail server's local domain. (Otherwise no one could deliver email to anyone without needing accounts on all mail servers in the world.)
  •  
mail4me

As I had the same problem, just a few comments on your replies:

I assume he is connected on dial-up/cable and dynamic ip to the internet, so sending the email directly to the recipient's mailserver won't work, as long as that server detects the mail as spam (due to dialup ip).

So it is quite common that you use the smtp of the isp. This one won't allow email relaying, so you have to use smtp auth. The isp will forward the email with the proper ip of the domain, so no spam detection due to dial-up/dynamic ip.

I assume the only solution is to use the smtpauth software, mentioned above, point it to 127.0.0.1 port ???? and configure it to connect to the isp. Works fine here since my post in September 2005.

But I don't know why Kerio does not include that update, as it is possible to get smtp auth working with email forwarding outside your domain.
  •  
winkelman

Ah, yes, being on dial-up would make it all different...
  •  
HaSchuk

<_a.t_>mail4me:

Thanks for your reply as it faces my problem and gives me a solution.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 August 2007 17:10]

Previous Topic: Multiple Relay SMTP Servers
Next Topic: .
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 22:16:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00542 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.