Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mailstore on different server
  •  
earvnb

Send a private message to this user
Because of disk space limitations we have recently moved the store to a file server, thus not residing on the same server as kerio mailserver. At first we used the NTFS and Share Permissions of Everyone-Allow-Full Control on a hidden share. Now the problems:
- existing users can read/delete/send/receive mail but they cannot rename/delete/create new subfolders underneath the inbox folder for example. If you try this you get the error : 0x8004140c:ER_IMAP_CREATEFOLDER.
- new user's mailstore cannot be created.
- admin cannot create new shared calendars.

Now since we assume that this is a permission problem, as it was working before the move tot he fileserver, we changed the NTFS and Share permissions today in an attempt to resolve this issue as follows:
Share:
- Administrators-Allow-Full Control
- Authenticated Users-Allow-Full Control
- System-Allow-Full Control
- Terminal Server User-Allow-Full Control
NTFS:
- Administrators-Allow-Full Control
- System-Allow-Full Control
- Creator Owner-Allow-Full Control-Subfolders and Files Only
- Terminal Server User-Allow-Full Control
- Users-Allow-Modify

We are running the mailserver software on Windows Server 2003 SP2 Standard Edition and the file Server is running Windows Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise Edition R2. Furthermore we are using McAFee Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i.
The mailserver and mailstore directory are excluded from scanning.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Using network shares for mailstore directory is not supported. Actually, it does not work properly and may cause unpredictable behavior (as you noticed). Network share can be used only for storing backup files.
File and directory operations in the message store are designed for local disks. KMS sets strict file access permissions for every new or renamed directory in the message store which obviously cannot work on network share.

I would suggest buying a new disks (500GB is pretty cheap now) and move the message store back to the local machine.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 September 2007 20:56]

•  
earvnb

Does it work if it is on removable storage? Does that count as a local disk for Kerio Mailserver???
  •  
winkelman

Doesn't Kerio simply look if the drive has a drive letter or not?

Still, the problems stem from two issues: permission and latency issues. The latter is also a major reason not to want to place the store on 'remote storage'. Throughput may be decent, but remote disk access latency almost always is significantly slower compared with local storage. Since KMS is mostly about accessing a lot of small files instead of a few large files, it's disk latency that is a much bigger factor in system speed than throughput.

Furthermore, KMS is not built/tested to be very robust with the store on a (relatively) high-latency drive. Over here KMS went from being fairly problematic to no problems whatsoever when going from 7k2 RPM PATA disks to 15k RPM SCSI disks.

So consider all this before using a external hard disk (I think that's your plan). An external SATA disk is probably just as fast as a internal one, but I suspect an external USB drive has much higher latency then a internal disk. I wouldn't take that chance.
  •  
WLolli

This restriction in the installation and configuration of KMS must be changed.

I have users/customers of Kerio KMS that want to use W2K3 running as VM's on MAC PRO or other VM platforms, and they would like the option of connecting the KMS MailStore to a network location--

Granted in a WIndows install of KMS, the Store would be located on -- say-- Drive N:\Store-- a mapped drive-- but in reality that drive would be on the Host platform-- like a Mac Pro OSX share directory-- and the Store and all of its contents would be backed up by Time Machine to another local MAC HDD.

Another implementation would be for a windows or other server running Quad-port, aggragated Intel GB-NIC cards mapped on a switch to a NAS or SAN. Again-- restricting KMS Store to local drives is nuts---

The KMS backup utility is fine-- but there is no easy/fast way to Restore the data in a disaster.

In the above scenario I have had to resort to running the KMS engine and Store on the Mac Pro HDD Data drive and make it available to SMB users. The domain controller is still running onthe MAC as a VM.
  •  
elias

You should be able to use iSCSI to your SAN without any of the issues Pavel mentioned as the drive is essentially local to the OS and applications. But as others have mentioned, and I'll say it too, you need to make sure you understand the latency requirements of KMS (and in particular, the KOC) before you try something like this and be thorough in your testing. But using iSCSI to a appropriately designed SAN should be just fine.

-Elias
Previous Topic: webmail vs IMAP - delivery timeout/ blocked
Next Topic: Is there an error code reference anywhere?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:52:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.