Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Moving from OS X to Linux, looking for suggestions on specs
  •  
teddytis

Send a private message to this user
Currently we're running kerio on a G4 xserv and looking to move it to linux. The xserv is starting to get outdated and it's so much more inexpensive to get a dell server and put linux on it.

Here's the specs on the current system. It has 117 users, all IMAP, and as of this moment there are about 40 concurrent connections. The message store is just under 50gb and there are a couple people that have several 1,000 messages in their INBOX (even though I try to tell them to use folders and even show them how to set it up, and then they wonder why they "lose" a bunch of messages and I have to rebuild the index </rant>)

I'm not really concerned with the hardware specs since anything >2ghz and +1gb ram will be plenty fine. I'm looking for input on other aspects. Any advantage of Suse or RedHat? Would the message store ideally be on a RAID-5 with XFS filesystem? I've had plenty experience setting up linux servers as that's what the vast majority of our servers run (web, dns, databases, etc). I've setup my personal mail server but this is a much larger mail server from my perspective even though I know some people on here have 100's of users with over a 100 concurrent connections during off-peak hours. Before we order the hardware wanted to see what experience other people have had. I guess in more basic terms, what would you consider an ideal setup for a KMS setup in linux with 100-150 users, all IMAP, where the message store is just going to get larger and larger as time goes on. Thanks for any input.
  •  
elias

As others will probably mention as well, you'll want to buy the fastest disks your can afford. CPU and memory are largely irrelevant, but you absolutely want 15k SCSI or SAS disks using RAID 10 on a RAID controller with as much read/write cache as you can get.

I can't help you on the filesystem side, but you might check with Kerio to make sure they support your choice of filesystem.

-Elias
  •  
sonofcolin

My $0.02

Buy an xserve RAID and add it to your xserve. As many people will tell you, disk performance is far more important than processor speed. Your G4 xserve will not break a sweat with only 50 IMAP connections and a faster redundant disk array will protect your investment for a some time to come.
  •  
My IT Indy

sonofcolin wrote on Fri, 07 September 2007 13:19

My $0.02

Buy an xserve RAID and add it to your xserve. As many people will tell you, disk performance is far more important than processor speed. Your G4 xserve will not break a sweat with only 50 IMAP connections and a faster redundant disk array will protect your investment for a some time to come.

I completely agree, however if somebody is talking about getting a DELL server + Linux to save money, telling them to spend upwards of $10K on an XServe RAID + FC card probably won't fly.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
sonofcolin

You don't need to spend $10k on an xserve RAID. I've seen some nice deals in the $5k range.

Xserve RAID will last forever! You can always upgrade to a newer xserve at a later date and still use the xserve RAID.

Buying a Dell/Linux setup which offers similar performance and redundancy would cost how much?
  •  
teddytis

thanks for all the replies...

Yeah, after putting some more thought into it, I realized the disks are the weakest link in the whole thing. Whole reason we're moving from the xserv is we can actually still sell a g4 xserv and buy two 1u p3 servers for the same price. We're actually a 99.9% mac based company and when I first started we only had 5 xservs. It's now become 2 xservs and a whole bunch of dell servers.

We've tossed the idea of an xraid around before for another service so it's not entirely out of the question. It almost seems overkill in this situation though. One idea I've thought of is SATA servers. Those can do 300mb/sec now (theoretically). Can buy a few of those and a SATA 1u server. A sort of medium between current system and an xraid system.
  •  
My IT Indy

You absolutely positively do not want the store sitting on a network volume mapped on your server. Too many bad things can happen.

Now that you have said a bit more about your company an XServe RAID seems like the best solution. It's expandable for multi-purposing in case you want to add PHD's (portable home directories) in the future.

Also, since you're a Mac business you really should get hooked up with an Apple Enterprise rep. They will give you the best pricing, beating anybody out there in my experience.

I see you're from Ohio, I personally know your Apple Enterprise Rep and can have her contact you. Email me at ryan at hoosiermac dot com.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2007 18:38]

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: Kerio Mail Server Technical Support
Next Topic: Central address book for Kerio...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 19:23:55 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00403 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.