Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Restoring mail from one mailbox
  •  
jeffrhysjones

Send a private message to this user
I have searched and searched and can not seem to find any clear information on how to restore a single mail box.

I understand that the KMS Recover command restores the entire mail server but I only want to restore just the one mail box (User deleted email by mistake).

I have the Kerio backup running diligently every night in the hope that I would be able to perfrom such an operation - but at the moment, it appears it's only possible to recover the entire server - just for a few (important) emails.

In the backup zip file, I can see all the '.eml' files right there - is it as simple as copying them back to the users live mailbox - surely that would break stuff?

Any help on the right proceedure would be helpful - I can't believe there have not been more posts on this - the manual only covers complete server restores!!!!

Jeff
  •  
carcus88

This is quite simple. Just copy the missing folders and .eml files from the backup .zip file that contains the users mailbox.

This is not supported most likely but it does work. I would stay away from replacing any currently existing files but I know for sure that copying in any missing ones works like a charm and its a super fast compared to restoring the whole server to get what you need.
  •  
yukiomishima

howdy

i am also looking to restore a single users email from a recent FULL backup

a couple of quick questions:

- is there a way to retrieve all of the email and integrate with his current account (he only just noticed that he is missing a HUGE chunk of email from the past couple of months that was there when last backed up.. however... when recovering from the backup we do not want to loose any of the new email written since the last backup)

- super simple step by step instructions for doing this on an apple would be hugely appreciated (as i have no idea where the .eml files are located etc etc)

we are currently running v6.3.1 on OSX v 10.4.8

HUGE thanks in advance

yukioMishima
  •  
yukiomishima

howdy

alot of views and no answers Crying or Very Sad

i was hoping to have the server shut-down this weekend and perform the retrieval/ rebuild

any help/insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks

yukioMishima
  •  
brsamuel

The location of your mail storage can be determined by opening the Administration Console. Under the "Configuration" section click on "Advanced Options". On that page, click the button at the top that says "Store Directory". Voila!

Navigating to that folder you will find within it another folder that matches your domain name - such as companyname.com. The companyname.com folder will be owned by root meaning you will not ordinarily have access to its contents.

If you become root, you can enter the directory where you will find folders for each of your user names. (in all lower case.) From that point, navigate to the necessary folder, such as john.doe/INBOX/#msgs'. There you will find all the individual messages stored as individual files with names that end with the .eml extension. This is where the "restored messages" should be placed.

BE VERY CAREFUL DOING ANYTHING AS ROOT. You can completely trash your server.

Previous Topic: Issues with Outlook Connector
Next Topic: Webmail Task Recurrence?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 19:41:09 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00389 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.