Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Passwords in users.cfg
  •  
katbert

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to recover user's password using users.cfg?

What hash or encryption algorithm used?
  •  
keywerks

katbert wrote on Thu, 27 September 2007 10:31

Is it possible to recover user's password using users.cfg?

Thank god, no.

PHPStar - the missing gear in your web engine
Visit http://phpstar.keywerks.de
  •  
sryan@seewolf.com

well for security reason i understand your thank god no - but i need to transfer users to another mailserver and i need their passwords so it is transparent - so somewhere is the seed... Kerio, where is it?
  •  
sedell

That'd be quite a security issue if they gave you that. What good is encryption if the info to decrypt it is given out and made publicly available?

Scott
  •  
BudDurland

This is probably not supported, but I'd bet that once the new server is set up, you could can move the users like so:

* Stop the mail service

* use a plain text editor to cut and paste the users in question from the old "users.cfg" file to the new one.

* The next step would be to copy/move the mail store (\kerio\mail\<domain name>\<user name>) to the new server

* restart the service

This is not a test procedure, use at your own risk

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
winkelman

sryan<_a.t_>seewolf.com wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 16:48

... and i need their passwords ...

Ask your users to give it to you. That should be the only way to get the passwords. It should be impossible (and is also not needed) FOR ANYONE including Kerio to reverse the encryption and get clear text passwords form the encoded ones.
  •  
rigo

Did this with IMail server a few times, all I had to do was copy the registry keys. Been getting a feel for Kerio so not sure if this is the way do do it here.

I am sure we got a few admins that have run into this, asking users for pass is not a backend solution. I guess one could reset passwords copy accounts over--but seamless would be great.

I belive Kerio stores in its own database and not in the registry.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 August 2008 04:58]

•  
winkelman

If you go from Kerio on one machine to Kerio on antoher: just copy over the cfg.

If you go from one brand of mail server to another: implement some central administration database (such as Microsoft Active Directory, etc.) and only choose servers that can integrate with that. Then you'd also not have to deal with anyone's passwords when migrating anything.

If it's none of the above: well, then your stuck with asking users their passwords. Or simply resetting their passwords to womething else and hand them over a letter containing it so they can change it themselves afterwards.

IMHO that are the options. Getting clear text passwords from the SHA hashes Kerio uses (Wikipedia) should not be possible.
  •  
willowsv

Copy and Paste the passwords.

Kerio used SHA so its just a hash and not an encryption.
  •  
rigo

thanks willowsv, copy-n-paste passwords works!!
Previous Topic: Latest koff client update says wrong version
Next Topic: Unknown Recipient - Expected Behavior?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 13:17:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00935 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.