Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Switching from a basic POP to Kerio
  •  
migsutu

Send a private message to this user
I am getting ready to change my company over from our current POP email provider and wanted to make sure I am doing the right things to make the change over go smoothly.

Lets say with our current POP provider, we have user1<_a.t_>mydomain.com, user2<_a.t_>mydomain.com, and user3<_a.t_>mydomain.com.

The DNS MX record is pointed to mail.mydomain.com. (Pointed to the POP server IP.)

This is how we currently run our email. So now I was going to install Kerio on our server, and create mydomain.com on the Kerio server with user1, user2, and user3.

Ok, so at this point I have user1<_a.t_>mydomain.com, etc. setup in Kerio and waiting. Now I would change the MX record for mail.mydomain.com to the IP of the Kerio server. Once that change goes into effect, the users should be able to check their emails using the Kerio server, while everyone sending emails to us would never know we even changed email servers. At this point, we can cancel our POP servers and have everything running on Kerio, without people having to change email addresses.

Is this how I would go about making the change over? Thanks alot for the help.

•  
My IT Indy

What I've done for clients is to leave their old email settings AND set up their new accounts for KMS. When the change occurs the mail simply starts coming into their new accounts. You don't say what type of accounts you're going to create, and if they're POP accounts then your people won't notice anything different. If you're using IMAP/Entourage/KOC account then the email will simply go to their "new" inbox. Once the change has completed you can either drag/drop the new emails and delete the old account or just erase the old settings depending upon what email client you are using.

If you're looking to purchase licenses let me know.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
migsutu

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the info. I definitely want to move everyone over to imap accounts. That is one of the main reasons we want to switch from our current provider. We currently have about 27 users, so I guess we will want to buy the license for 30 users. I think we will want to install the trial and get things up and running, if things work well, then we will be ready to purchase the license. Will there be any issues changing the trial version over to a licensed version?
  •  
My IT Indy

There won't be any issues at all, all you do is open the admin utility and enter in your license.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: Migrate from Kerio 6.4.1 TO exchange 2007
Next Topic: share calendar and outlook 2003
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:54:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.