Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to run Webmail alongside IIS
  •  
migsutu

Send a private message to this user
Here is the issue I am trying to iron out. How can I run both IIS and Kerio's Webmail. I read in the manual or FAQ to set IIS to run on a different port, which is fine, but how am I able to have a domain point to a different port? Let me give an example.

mydomain.com would point to the main webpage running on IIS on port 80.

If I set it to say port 81, I can access the webpage by typing mydomain.com:81 , but if I just type mydomain.com, the webpage will not load.

What I want is for anyone to enter mydomain.com to go to our IIS webpage, and whoever enters webmail.mydomain.com to go to Kerio's webmail.

I am running Windows Server 2003. How can I do this?

Thanks a bunch.
  •  
sonofcolin

Quote:

mydomain.com would point to the main webpage running on IIS on port 80.

If I set it to say port 81, I can access the webpage by typing mydomain.com:81 , but if I just type mydomain.com, the webpage will not load.

That's just how it should work. Webservers default to serving on port 80 and all web browsers know this. If you want to serve on an alternate port, you have to type in the port number (as you pointed out).

Quote:

What I want is for anyone to enter mydomain.com to go to our IIS webpage, and whoever enters webmail.mydomain.com to go to Kerio's webmail.

Then you need to have webmail.mydomain.com bound to a different IP address than mydomain.com so that they can both use port 80.
  •  
migsutu

I have been checking out the settings in my router, and what I will do is what you said. I will bind webmail.mydomain.com to a different IP, then use the port map feature of my router to send port 80 from the new ip, to port 81 to the LAN ip of my server. Should work like a charm. I appreciate the help.
  •  
My IT Indy

If you bind them to different IP addresses you don't have to change port #'s. You can bind KMS to one IP and then maybe you can bind IIS to another IP. I don't know about IIS however I do this with KMS and Apache on a server I run.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
microalps

That would only work if the server was given the public ip's. However, it seems from his post that the server is behind the firewall and has one private ip address. In that case, the server will bind to the private ip address (of which there is only one) and the router has to be set up to forward. So unless he has TWO private ip's, he has to change the port numbers. And either way, he'll have to set up port forwarding.

Correct me if I'm wrong though!
  •  
My IT Indy

True, but if he gets another external IP address this could work even with NAT. Just forward IP#1 to NIC#1 and IP#2 to NIC#2

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
migsutu

I have 5 public ips, but I only have 1 nic on the server right now. With my router, I can port forward and port map everything to the one private ip of the server. I am going to be put this into practice later today. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
  •  
scottwilkins

Just for example, here's what I do. I also have 5 public IPs. I put a hub on the ISP connection and connected up 2 routers. One for the main IP, and the second for my "mail" ip. Router 1 private IP is 192.168.0.1, router 2 is 192.168.0.2, so both servers run in the same subnet, which makes it great for LAN KOC use. Oh, and I have seperate boxes for web and e-mail. Anyway that was the solution that worked best for me.
  •  
migsutu

We have a second router that isn't hooked up at the moment, so that is something we could very easily do as well. I would like to run the mail server on a different machine, but not sure I would be able to make the push to spend the money for a whole new box. Maybe I will see what old machines we have around here. Thanks again.
  •  
adontz

I think you can do the following.
Create www.domain.com pointing to main IIS root folder.
Create mail.domain.com pointing to special IIS root folder.
This special root folder must include some default file (index.php, Default.aspx, etc.) which will redirect (i.e. send Location header) to client.
For example, index.php should look like
<?php
header("Location: mail.domain.com:81")
?>

You can always google for "location header redirect [you favorite language here]" to get examples.
Previous Topic: Testing mailserver, first question
Next Topic: Calendar is locked!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 16:07:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.