Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iSync connector and Address Book
  •  
brucemcl

Send a private message to this user
I did some testing with the Kerio iSync connector. Syncing calendars works well and is very straightforward and flexible. Unfortunately syncing contacts is not what I hoped it would be.

Making a new contact in Apple's Address book is the problem. I can set up the Kerio iSync connector so that every new contact in Address book appears in their local contacts folder in Kerio. Or I can set it up so that every new contact stays in Address book only and does not sync to Kerio at all.

What I would like is to set up the Kerio iSync connector so that the Address Book users has some choices on what to do with newly created contacts. I would like the choices to include:
1) sync to shared contacts in Kerio
2) keep in Address book only

Am I missing something in the functionality of the Kerio iSync Connector? Or is there another way to give Address Book users more control of where their new contacts go in Kerio?
  •  
macjimbo

Please - does anyone have anything to offer on this issue? I am trialling KMS and am very impressed, other than this little glitch. I can't see how an Address Book (Mac) user can determine whether a new contact which they add is for public consumption or for their eyes only?

TiA

[Updated on: Sun, 22 June 2008 23:10]

•  
pchernoff

I would say the only thing keeping us from buying the Kerio MailServer is how it synchs address books with the Mac. On the Mac you will see all of your groups disappear, everyone will no longer begin to any one group.

We have a fairly inexpensive Address Book server that does not have this problem and Apple is finally promising an Address Book server in Snow Leopard server. So I hope that Kerio is at least working on this issue.
  •  
macjimbo

I have gone ahead and deployed and overall am pleased but this whole AB sync really lets the product down. It is nowhere close to the standard of the rest of the product, it is more like a proof of concept. To be useful, the sync connector needs to:

1. Retain/support AB groups (perhaps mapping to Categories in KMS, which don't appear to do anything at all right now)

2. Offer a way of defining which contact folder a given contact syncs to (use of Groups would again be an obvious solution here)

Apart from that, the product works very well and my staff appear to like it.
  •  
My IT Indy

Let Kerio know about this if you're not happy about AB syncing. The more they hear about it, the more likely they will be to fix it.

I agree btw, I use Addressbook on my Mac as well and think it needs some work.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
pchernoff

I did let Kerio know about the problems with AB syncing. They blamed Apple and said that Apple first needs to come out with an AB server.
  •  
My IT Indy

I don't know if Apple needs an AB server, they need to make Address book worth a crap for syncing.

Hopefully we won't have to wait until Snow Leopard to get syncing into AB, but it is a possibility.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Mic Milic Frederickx

pchernoff wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 22:53

We have a fairly inexpensive Address Book server that does not have this problem...

What are you using? Are you happy with it?
  •  
pchernoff

It is named AddressBook Server.

<http://www.addressbookserver.com/>

It seems to be working but the people using it don't give me much feedback. Since we are using it with just 2 people now I plan on switching them to MobileMe accounts very soon and use that until SnowLeopard Server is available.

But in my tests it does a good job in synching. My only question is having it synch whenever a change is made.
Previous Topic: Clean up user mail folders
Next Topic: Auto discard mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 06:54:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00435 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.