Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Handling lots of old messages
  •  
ebatte

Send a private message to this user
As email dominates communication and companies are being held liable for retaining messages I wonder how many of you are handling large volumes of retained messages in KMS.

We're a small company (15 users), but many of us have 4-12 GB of messages stored.

1. How are you guys organizing this volume of messages?

2. How are your archiving (structure, method, media, etc)?

We frequently refer to old messages related to projects and I personally find this invaluable.

As long as we keep the historical email record our disk storage capacity will continue to increase. I'm sure it's inevitable, but I'd just like to hear how others are working with it.

Thanks,
Eric
  •  
ebatte

•  
My IT Indy

Keep adding storage or export the email somehow.

Storage is cheap, most 500GB drives are around $100 with 1TB drives under $300.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ebatte

OK, but I'm hoping for a little more technical info. See me original line items.

Also, are others keeping quotas on mailboxes? How so if you keep infinite (time & size) storage?

KMS archive is essentially offline. If all users have unlimited storage, no quota and it is all online (meaning in their inboxes), then I'm sure storage can grow exponentially into many TB required for even a small number of users.

Maybe it would help if others gave their user base, storage stats, and backup/archive methodology.

Thanks,
Eric
  •  
winkelman

I simply enforce a quota policy. Most people don't need a zillion emails, they're simply unwilling to spend some time (and that's more that 10 minutes) cleaning their mailbox a few time per year.

User start out with 'I really can't delete any more', but in my experience they are actually saying 'I don't want to spend 1 hour cleaning my emails'.

All in all this keeps the mail store manageable and thus I have no need for archiving.
  •  
My IT Indy

I have several clients on their own KMS installations, and several more I personally host for them. Here's what is done for both:

Self-hosting: Most of my installed KMS clients have no limits on anything. They have HUGE mailboxes, some with several GB in size. It's up to them entirely what they do with the space. Especially design-firms that are mostly Macs have gigantic attachments. All of these servers have at least 1TB of storage dedicated to the message store so they should be good for a LONG time.

Hosted clients: I host KMS on a Linode VPS for some clients. I give them 250MB email boxes to use with how they like. I personally like this and after some instruction, so do my users. It forces them to get organized, they can't store everything on the server. What they do is manually download messages that are important and get rid of the rest. I also recommend they not store sent-items on the server if they use Apple's Mail program which really helps keep the server space clear. Nobody's complained, and I keep signing up companies as they LOVE the feature set of KMS + Katharion filtering.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ebatte

A problem I see with quotas or with making people download or archive messages themselves is that it makes THEM liable for maintaining the archive and knowing how to handle it.
  •  
winkelman

I keep the quotas such that users are forced to seriously clean out every now and then, but does not force them to delete messages they really need to save. So there's no need for them to archive mail themselves.

Of course, some users claim they need store all mail. I don't buy into that. They don't need to store everything for all time, they simply want to. Maybe therapy helps there? Maybe they should find a job in a library? Smile
  •  
RPC_Admin

Eric,

I am in a similar situation. We have about 15 users and maybe 15-20Gb of mailstored. We have been using the Kerio backup and then moving those backups off to various NAS. As for quotas I leave them in place, only to poke people to try to clean up every once in a while. I also bump the quotas up periodically. My base assumption is that Hard Disk space is cheap and only getting cheaper.

The one downfall I have seen is that once individual folders get too large in size or number of emails they start to impede performance some. Cleaning out such folders regains the performance. I also expect that offline caching will help alot with such issues.
Previous Topic: UCC (Multiple Domain) Certificates
Next Topic: Kerio Mailserver 6.5 ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:43:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00427 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.