Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Mail 3.0 Leopard memory leak ??
  •  
mikeh

Send a private message to this user
I upgraded to leopard last week as I was a little frustrated with the performance of Kerio with entourage on intel macs.

I used Apple mail which is much faster and much more responsive for a while. If I leave Apple Mail open it suddenly goes very slow so I opened activity monitor to see what was happening.

The amount of memory it is using just starts rising. When you open mail it starts off using 35MB. Eventually something happens and it goes up to around 680MB then becomes unresponsive.

Also settings seem odd. If I enter settings to get it working it will work for a while but once this problem occurs with the unresponsiveness then there are connection errors.

Anyone using Apple Mail 3 on an intel with no problems ?? - Any tips or is anyone else seeing this issue.
  •  
My IT Indy

I've got it running with no problems at all. Can you try and delete your user account in mail and re-enter it to see if that fixes the problem?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
mikeh

Well it is a brand new account just setup.

I have setup the account again in mail and will see how it goes but first 20 mins have been fine.

Thanks
  •  
mikeh

Well it still has a problem.

Setup[ brand new Apple mail account. 7000 messages in total. Download no problem all looks good, no errors. Fine for 20 mins or so.

After about 30 mins onwards the mail will sit there but keep increasing in memory usage. So far it has gone from using 79MB to 460 MB and virtual memory has doubled from 400 - nearly 900MB.

It is now escalating quicker and just don't understand. I have never used Apple mail at all because I preferred entourage. It is a new install of Leopard and the first time I have used mail so all pretty clean.

I have the inbox and maybe 7 folders with only a few hundred mails in and only 60 or 70 contacts.

Using all latest patches and the server runs on 10.4.10 with Kerio 6.4.1

I am using a intel macbook as the client.
  •  
sonofcolin

Sounds like a problem with your OS X install and not Kerio. Have you tried another machine?
  •  
My IT Indy

I've got roughly 15K messages in mail in nearly 30 IMAP folders and memory stays at 62MB.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
mikeh

Yes not sure what is up.

I did a archive and install on my machine and reinstalled it all from scratch and dumped the mail preferences.

Tested this morning and it climbed up pretty quickly.

If everyone else is using exchange mode (not just imap or pop) then it must be my machine.

Can anyone confirm they are using exchange mode on Apple Mail 3.0 with an intel machine using Kerio server 6.4. (1)

Thanks

•  
My IT Indy

I'm using Exchange mode on Mail 3 on an Intel MacBook Pro with KMS 6.4.1p1.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
mikeh

Thanks.

That told me quick enough.

I think it is a problem with my account. I have cleared preferences and done all sorts on the OS but I have noticed that Entourage (latest patch) becomes unresponsive after about 10 - 20 mins but doesn't have the same memory bloating issues.

Also on the download of my messages it does seem to get stuck on one and then the memory increases.

So thanks for the replies and help. I will now concentrate on my account in kerio server and look at the error logs etc and track down the offending items, folder or index.

•  
sonofcolin

mikeh,

Just a thought. Do you have the Kerio Isync connector installed?
  •  
mikeh

Colin,

A good thought. I did have the isync connector on. I have uninstalled and rebooted. I also checked address book and took off the exchange sync from there.

Has made no difference at all an it went up to 900 MB of used memory very quickly after this. Now I have checked the Kerio log and since I upgraded to leopard there is an error associated withe my account that I can't understand.

You can see my account id. The domain and internet hostname in kerio on this machine is correct. Somehow it is saying mike is not associated to my domain and it picks up the local hostname of the G4 kerio is running on.

This was fine before. Our router sorts out the DNS internally (mail.company.com) and all machines work fine inside and outside of the firewall.

As a side not - the admin console in Leopard does not display the font text correctly appears all as a blacked out pen style. By selecting with cursor text becomes readable

[31/Oct/2007 09:11:04] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
[31/Oct/2007 09:11:08] Last message repeated 10 times
[31/Oct/2007 09:11:08] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
[31/Oct/2007 09:32:05] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
[31/Oct/2007 09:32:08] Last message repeated 10 times
[31/Oct/2007 09:32:10] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
[31/Oct/2007 09:53:08] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
[31/Oct/2007 09:53:08] Last message repeated 10 times
[31/Oct/2007 09:53:18] mail_folder.cpp: No domain defined for user mikeh<_a.t_>mailservers-power-mac-g4.local
  •  
mikeh

Further info.

The above error (no domain defined) ONLY appears when Apple Mail 3.0 connects in exchange mode.

If you run entourage as exchange then this error is not present. Not sure on the link or if it helps but it may do.

•  
My IT Indy

If it's looking for a .local doman you don't have DNS set up correctly internally.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: Problem download from POP3
Next Topic: Kerio behind Apache
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:24:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00512 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.