Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Relay Options broken?
  •  
Ctrl+Alt+Del

Send a private message to this user
Hey Guys and Girls

I just received an e-mail frpm ordb.org telling me that my mailserver has been blacklisted :/
Since it was running on a temporary machine anyways i decided to bring the original (freshly installed) box online hoping this would solve it. I soon found out that Novell Gateway Services caused the error since it practically made everyone trying to connect to Port 25 a LAN User.

After that was fixed i noticed sth really odd.

On my local config Users from 192.168.0.100-254 are allowed to send mails
no pop-b4-smtp and no smtp-auth required
So i made some relay tests.

my domain --> my domain = works
mydomain --> anydomain = doesn't work
anydomain --> mydomain = works
anydomain --> anydomain = doesn't work

I tried relaying to the box from my homecomputer, for some odd reason, i can still send mails to my domain without beeing authed.
Could someone care to elaborate wether that is actually a malfunction, a misconfisuration or if i am just a hopeless moron :/

•  
Tr!une

Any mail TO your domain is not considered RELAYING. Outside domain TO your domain is normal email delivery. Outside to Outside is considered open relay and should not be allowed.

Are local user setup to Relay in SMTP > Relay Control?
  •  
Zakk

in order to prevent from using your machine to spam the world, external relaying should only be allowed after authentication. for internal -> external adresses this is not nececary. nomally all userers from the internal lan didn't need to authenticate.

to be blacklistet in ordb.org is only bad, if the recipient verify the allowed senders with the ordb.org list. in this case you should only have trouble with some domains, not with all since not every mailserver uses the ordb.org database.

•  
Ctrl+Alt+Del

Sorry if i am a bit slow or do lack some needed background knowledge, i'm still an apprentice :).

following scenario:
KMS is set to accept only mails from 192.168.0.100-254 without authentication. Users and Pop before smtp is deactivated.

I am sitting at home with my e-mail client and have that mailserver set as my outgoing. Whenever i send a mail to that particular domain a log-in screen pops up but the mail gets send anyway when i click abort. When i adress any external domain i get a relaying denied error message.
So is my mail client behaving like an smtp server, and if yes, why the log-in screen??

btw the ordb check tried to relay via sender<at>ordb.org<at>mydomain and it seemed to work... :/

•  
Zakk

you just answered it by your self *g

quote: KMS is set to accept only mails from 192.168.0.100-254 without authentication

when you are at home, you usually have a dynamic ip from your internet provider, which is different from the ip range you defined. 192.168.x.x is a range ONLY for use in internal lans. this is absolute ok - don't change!

try activating <users preveously authenticated through pop3> for XX minutes. this is the same procedure you have with any free mail provider: first you must recieve your mail with user name + pwd, after successful authentication you can send mail. this is to verify you as a registered user.

or simply use the webmail interface from KMS :)
  •  
Ctrl+Alt+Del

you got me wrong on this one
I do not want to access it from home, i just tried to do some relaying tests. ;)
Well the Problem is found and it was not KMS.
KMS is forwarding all non known users to a Groupwise system, which relayed the messages. (Known Bug which seems to be covered by an update) :)

Thx for the help :)

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 23:11]

•  
Ctrl+Alt+Del

you got me wrong on this one
I do not want to access it from home, i just tried to do some relaying tests. ;)
Well the Problem is found and it was not KMS.
KMS is forwarding all non known users to a Groupwise system, which relayed the messages. (Known Bug which seems to be covered by an update) :)

Previous Topic: create_time < install_time
Next Topic: Kerio on Suse SLES 8
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 17:21:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.