Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Help with multiple email domains
  •  
mcw82

Send a private message to this user
I want to add a second domain to my Kerio server and had some DNS related questions, particularly with the PTR record. I only have one public IP. I have two domains, abc.com and def.com now created in Kerio.

My primary domain, abc.com has a public IP of 1.1.1.1 (theory). I created an A record mail.abc.com to point to 1.1.1.1. There's also a MX record for abc.com pointing to mail.abc.com with a cost of 10. A PTR has also been created with the ISP that owns 1.1.1.1.

I know you should/can only associated one domain to IP for PTR. So what do I need to do with the second domain to prevent problems with sending mail when the recipient server does a reverse dns check?

Can I just change def.com's mx record to point to mail.abc.com with a cost of 10? What would happen if an external mail server does a reverse dns check for def.com's mail but then sees the 1.1.1.1 is associated with mail.abc.com?
  •  
My IT Indy

99.99% of the time the DNS lookups won't care about a PTR record matching the MX of another domain. I have 7 domains hosted on 1 IP address without issue. I just have the domain mymailserver.com as the MX record for each domain and everything is fine.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
winkelman

mcw82 wrote on Wed, 14 November 2007 01:49

I know you should/can only associated one domain to IP for PTR.

That's not necessarily true. You can have a Reverse DNS lookup of one IP return several domain names. And servers that do check PTR records will be satisfied if one of the returned domain names matches the mail servers response (and they won't[/shouldn't] care about the others)...
  •  
mcw82

Thanks for the replies! After a quick chat with our ISP, I guess the PTR question I had depends on how strict an ISP interprets the rules/RFC governing PTR. As Rugby suggested above, I asked about pointing our second domain's mx record to the primary domain's and response was favorable. I can live with 99.99%.

I still don't understand how DNS responds back if an IP has more than one PTR. Is it a round-robin type of thing? This is just for my education.
  •  
winkelman

mcw82 wrote on Wed, 14 November 2007 17:46

I still don't understand how DNS responds back if an IP has more than one PTR. Is it a round-robin type of thing? This is just for my education.

DNS will simply reply with multiple answers to this singel PTR lookup request.

Try this (on Windows):
command prompt
nslookup
set type=ptr
This will return three domain names (maila.microsoft.com, mail4.microsoft.com and smtp.microsoft.com)
Previous Topic: public folders permissions
Next Topic: relaying status codes
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:55:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00443 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.