Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Advice sought on LDAP / Directory setup
  •  
cwachs

Send a private message to this user
I am setting up a new install (first time) of Kerio on a X Serve running OS X Server 10.4.10. I am looking for some advice on LDAP and open directory... Right now, I am not using any open directory with Kerio and as a result (I think) I can not LDAP search the server accounts. When I do a search with LDAP directory in Entourage, I can search my server based contacts (my personal list) but it never returns other Kerio accounts in my domain, and as a result, the Free/Busy scheduling is not working properly (though I have my server set in Entourage).

Do I want to use an open directory for Kerio? Are there advantages / disadvantages in doing so? Will this fix my inability to do a directory search of local users?

Thanks,
Chad

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
brsamuel

If I understand your question correctly, you do not need to be using Open Directory with Kerio. I have essentially the same setup as do you, though I do not use Entourage.

In Thunderbird, my current client of choice, I must specify the Bind DN - simply my user name - to be allowed access into Kerio's directory. You wouldn't want unauthorized users to have access to the directory after all!

This might be what you're looking for:
Chapter 9 MS Entourage support
9.2 Connection to the LDAP server

Samuel
  •  
cwachs

Well, I do have to log in to the LDAP server and that part works. The propblem I am having is when I do a search on the LDAP server, the results returned are ONLY from my address book and not the local server users. For example, I have a user in my domain called "Tom Smith" - he has a valid account on the server (tom<_a.t_>mydomain.com). When I do a LDAP search through Entourage or Address Book for "tom", it returns all the toms in my address book but Tom Smith is not returned - but I know he is a server user.

In my LDAP settings in Entourage or Address Book, my search base is left blank so it should search my contacts, which it does, and also the server accounts, which it does not.

This makes free/busy difficult to use when the server does not return it's own users.

Is this a setting in KMS? This is a brand new installation - I just switched to KMS from Communigate Pro (for the Entourage support).
  •  
brsamuel

You may also need to verify that LDAP is running, firewall is not interfering, and the user is set up correctly. Check chapter 19 of the Administrator's Guide. Especially section 19.1.

In my case, if the user's account isn't published, they're not searchable. Also, one caveat is that once the account is disabled/deleted, I must be sure to remove them from the published directory.

Samuel
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

LDAP server in KMS is searching in private, shared and public contact folders. Global address list (GAL) of users created in KMS can be created by publishing all user accounts to some public folder. It will be accessible via LDAP after that.
  •  
cwachs

Can you automatically have server user accounts be added to this global address list? I apologize for the simple questions but this process is honestly confusing me on KMS and I am not able to get free/busy working as I would like without this. I need to know what the schedules are of the other server accounts so the free/busy section in meeting scheduling works properly.

Does one of the server users need to create a contact book in a public folder? The servers I have administrated in the past publish server accounts automatically to the LDAP server.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Pandarve

Hi,
brsamuel, may you please post an example of your ldap contacts entry, or explain the fields? I have about the same configuration but don't get any entry returned.

Name: is that a custom name for my addressbook entry or do I need to enter the name from the public kerio addressbook?

Server: ok, thats clear Wink

Base-DN: not sure about that

Port: nothing to mention here

Bind-DN: works with my user name. At least I'm prompted for password and don't get an error message.

Thanks in advance
  •  
cwachs

I just figured out this problem... I am clearly still getting used to the admin interface.

So, I added a new user to the system today and on "Step 6" of the process, I see a check box called "Add user to public contact folder" (or something similar). That is off by default. I check it and finish the process. Low and behold, there is the user now listed in the local LDAP directory.

I then go to the other users and don't see that checkbox anywhere but I see a "Publish" button in the user page. I click it and now that user is searchable in LDAP.

I feel very stupid for not seeing any of this before but it fixes my problems.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
Previous Topic: Unsubscribe with lightning (Calendar remains read-only)
Next Topic: Public folders with IMAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 22:07:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.