Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mails coming from account X to account X that were never sent
  •  
ALLoY

Send a private message to this user
Hi guys.
I have a question. Lately I have a few people telling me that they are recieving mails from themselves that are flagged as spam that they never sent. Check out below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:postmaster<_a.t_>blah.tes.edu.kw]
Sent: 27 November 2007 10:12
To: MRX<_a.t_>tes.edu.kw
Subject: Message detected as spam: Final Reminder

This is an informative message sent by mailserver at blah.tes.edu.kw.

Your email message:

To: <MRX<_a.t_>tes.edu.kw>
Subject: Final Reminder
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:14:15 +0100

was considered as an unsolicited message (spam) by the receiving mail server
and was not therefore delivered. If this is a mistake, you may need to
rephrase the email and send it again or contact the recipient by other
means.

I have run a few open replay tests on our mail server to make sure that no one is using our own system to bounce spam back at us but everything was ok. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks
  •  
sedell

This is a perfect example of why you should never bounce spam. All you end up doing is spamming the innocent.

This is usually caused by a spammer using some of your addresses as the from or reply-to address on their spam. If you view the source of the message, you can usually see more details about the original message, since the original header info usually doesn't display. That will most likely show that the message didn't originate at your server.

Scott
  •  
ALLoY

sedell wrote on Tue, 27 November 2007 15:37

This is a perfect example of why you should never bounce spam. All you end up doing is spamming the innocent.

This is usually caused by a spammer using some of your addresses as the from or reply-to address on their spam. If you view the source of the message, you can usually see more details about the original message, since the original header info usually doesn't display. That will most likely show that the message didn't originate at your server.

So what your saying is, to view the source find out where it is coming from and blacklist that address?
  •  
microalps

It's probably not from any specific machine. In addition, blackmailed ip's will also bounce the email based on your settings (and this might be what's already happening). I've seen recently that spam attempts to bypass the spam filter by spoofing the from address of the sender to be identical to the recipient address. It's a change in the spam methods; I guess it's time for you to change your setting as well to no longer bounce spam to sender (who 99% of the time is innocent as pointed out). You've gotten a taste of your own medicine now, sorry it can't be helped.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2007 21:43]

Previous Topic: black listing error
Next Topic: Entourage sync slow when KMS is on Windows OS
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 03:11:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00393 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.