Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Platform Recommendations (OS X, Windows, Linux)
  •  
blueteq

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I am getting ready to move a Kerio Mail Server instance.
Currently running under Windows XP.

Reason for moving hardware is old and needs to be upgraded, better speeds etc...

I have a choice to install Windows 2003 or Linux on X86 hardware or running it on a Apple Mac with Leopard?

Is there a difference in what any of these systems deliver? is one better than the other, besides the OS stability?

Thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 09 December 2007 07:25]

•  
rinzwind

If you go for a dedicated groupware server: go Linux. Install CentOS, a RHEL clone. Choose server option, deactivate not used components and install Kerio MailServer on it. You can ssh into it for a command shell. Install the Kerio administration component on a workstation.

If you want other network services too on the same box (like Active Directory, shared folders, ...) there are more options. If you already need the Windows Server license go for an install on the Domain Controller.

Pay attention to decent hardware. Use hardware RAID. Memory isn't a concern.
  •  
microalps

Mac OSX 10.5 is not supported as of yet. Like the previous poster said, CentOS is the way to go. However, I'd only say that if you are equally experienced in administrating linux boxes -- the last thing you need is the box to fail and mails to get lost with nobody to fix.

However, unlike the previous poster, Kerio does not recommend installing KMS on the domain controller. It will most certainly cause a port conflict and can have adverse side effects. Don't get me wrong -- I'm positive it works, but is not the optimum solution.
  •  
My IT Indy

The KMS administration is pretty much the same on any platform you choose. I would say to go with the OS that you are most comfortable with administering. I prefer OS X Server, but also administer a FC6 install for some clients.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
blueteq

Sounds good, I am not a Unix guru but know my way around.
I am downloading CentOS and will install tonight, thanks everyone.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

microalps wrote on Sun, 09 December 2007 16:12

Mac OSX 10.5 is not supported as of yet. Like the previous poster said, CentOS is the way to go. However, I'd only say that if you are equally experienced in administrating linux boxes -- the last thing you need is the box to fail and mails to get lost with nobody to fix.

However, unlike the previous poster, Kerio does not recommend installing KMS on the domain controller. It will most certainly cause a port conflict and can have adverse side effects. Don't get me wrong -- I'm positive it works, but is not the optimum solution.

Actually, Mac OS X 10.5 is supported since KMS 6.4.2. On the other hand, CentOS does not have official support.
  •  
microalps

As CentOS is a Redhat Enterprise clone, I don't see why it shouldn't be supported. It's Redhat without subscription fees. The only changes made is to the name and artwork.
  •  
jshaw541

Some things to consider:

- Are you using an LDAP user store, such as AD (go Windows), or Open Directory (go Mac OS X)?

- Which OS are you more familiar with?

Based on the information you've provided, I'd recommend you go with Windows Server 2003. If you're not using AD/OD and are more familiar with Linux, then I'd recommend Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Do not use CentOS, that is horrible advice as I'm pretty sure it is not supported by Kerio at this time.

Do not install KMS on your domain controller. Making your domain controller accessible by the outside world, let alone adding additional services (aka "attack vectors") to it. Again, horrible advice.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
rinzwind

CentOS is a very reliable operating system. Google for it... Since RHEL is supported by Kerio, you have absolutely no support problems with CentOS.

As to install on a DC, well what about Windows 2003 SBS edition? That's an all in one box. For Small Business Kerio MailServer on a Windows 2003 Standard DC is an option. Don't connect your server directly to the internet, put any kind of firewall in between.

As far as I know you can still install KMS on Linux when using Windows AD and using AD validation.
  •  
jshaw541

rinzwind wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 09:18

CentOS is a very reliable operating system. Google for it... Since RHEL is supported by Kerio, you have absolutely no support problems with CentOS.

As to install on a DC, well what about Windows 2003 SBS edition? That's an all in one box. For Small Business Kerio MailServer on a Windows 2003 Standard DC is an option. Don't connect your server directly to the internet, put any kind of firewall in between.

As far as I know you can still install KMS on Linux when using Windows AD and using AD validation.

I am well-aware of CentOS's reliability, I am a contributor to the project.

I believe in the best tool for the best job, and in an AD scenario, a Windows server is that best tool.

In regards to support, you are incorrect. Kerio does NOT support CentOS. Pavel (a Kerio employee) stated such in a reply above yours. Sure, you can lie to the support rep and claim you're using RHEL, as it is mostly (but not entirely) the same. Do I think Kerio should support CentOS? Yes, it's extremely popular and solid. Does Kerio support CentOS right now? No.

My purpose in replying was to provide advice for a fellow user, and to not push my personal agenda on them. Recommending CentOS for what appears to be a Windows environment when you know it's not supported is disingenuous.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
microalps

blueteq wrote on Sat, 08 December 2007 23:47

I have a choice to install Windows 2003 or Linux on X86 hardware or running it on a Apple Mac with Leopard?

Is there a difference in what any of these systems deliver? is one better than the other, besides the OS stability?

To answer the original question. The OS you run KMS on is mostly the same either way you go. The difference lies in (1) authentication (2) secondary anti-virus options.

1. AUTHENTICATION
In order to use Active Directory or Open Directory, you need to install the respective extension on the directory server. AFAIK, this does not limit KMS to that particular OS. The KMS server is able to use EITHER authentication on ANY OS as long as you install the extension on the directory server (not necessarily the KMS box).

2. ANTI-VIRUS
The choice of secondary anti-virus is dependent on the OS. Windows has more supported anti-virus options. Ensure that the anti-virus you wish to utilize is supported on that particular OS.
  •  
blueteq

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

To cover off some questions raised,

1. this is for a small operation with only a few users.
2. Predominantly OS X users
3. Use local Authentication within Kerio.

I will go with CentOS and see how it works.

•  
jshaw541

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

To cover off some questions raised,

1. this is for a small operation with only a few users.
2. Predominantly OS X users
3. Use local Authentication within Kerio.

I will go with CentOS and see how it works.

Just keep in mind that Kerio does not support Kerio MailServer on CentOS. So unless you lie or the support tech is feeling nice, you will not be able to obtain technical support.

If you are an EDU organization, you can obtain RHEL pretty cheaply.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
rinzwind

Then you just say "What would you advise when I was running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5?"

CentOS 2, 3, 4 and 5 are built from publicly available open source SRPMS provided by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork).
digiclone

We use Centos as well on every KMS installation. It's very solid. It's a shame Kerio doesn't officially support it. I have no idea why they wouldn't since it's just RHEL rebaged. Maybe they don't realize that?

As another person already said, you can run KMS on Linux and have it authenticate against Active Directory. There is no reason not to utilize the stability of Linux in a Microsoft environment. Every one of our installations uses a Centos Linux server with KMS in an AD network environment.

Regarding hardware, Raid 10 scsi/sas is the fastest way to go with Kerio, but if you have a very small network you could get away with Raid 5 or a single 15K drive. If you're thinking about doing Raid 5, the cost/space ratio really isn't much higher to go Raid 10.
Previous Topic: Kerio Server 6.4.1
Next Topic: iPhone 2.0, ActiveSync and Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 01:15:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00526 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.