Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server Config Questions
  •  
mcw82

Send a private message to this user
I would like some advice from the community about the best raid configuration for my server. I'm looking for availability first and then performance. A little background first:

My original Kerio server suffered two drive failures on the same drives three different times with a raid 5 + hot spare config. Now my server is basically rebuilt but I'm gun shy. I have 6 drives with no more expansion. My original idea was to make a raid 10 for performance and mirroring but I'm having second thoughts.

Now I'm thinking of making a raid 1 set for the OS and Kerio app and a 3 disk raid 5 with a hot spare. I'm guessing Dell's Perc4 will be able to allocate the hot spare to either the raid 1 set or the raid 5 in case there's a drive failure on one of two raid sets.

•  
winkelman

Why not 6 disks in RAID-6?

While RAID-1 and RAID-5 with hot-spare can handle 2 disk failures, it cannot handle 2 simultaneous disk failures. During the period the hot-spare is being rebuilt, you are vulnerable to another drive failure. RAID-6 uses 2 online, distributed parity disks and can handle 2 simultaneous disk failures. And it would increase your effective disk space. (In your setup you 'loose' 3 disks, in RAID-6 just 2 two achieve a better (in some ways) redundancy.)

Of course, the downside is write performance. It is somewhat (but just a tiny bit) slower then RAID-5. (On the other hand, I have a 3TB RAID-6 setup with 6 SATA disks here and it achieves 170Mbyte/sec, more that fast enought...) Other possible problem is you don't have two separate arrays for the OS/apps and the mail store.
  •  
mcw82

Raid 6 sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure if the Perc4/di supports that. However, your concerns about the OS/APP and data store being on separate arrays is also a concern...hence my original idea of a Raid 1 for OS/APP and Raid 5 for the data. This problem is kind of like deciding on where to go for lunch.

Thanks for your input.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2007 17:35]

Previous Topic: postmaster
Next Topic: DNS resolve on SMTP delivery
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 03:57:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00425 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.