Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » MacOS X Mail List Server Recommendation
  •  
ahoutzer

Send a private message to this user
I am about to inherit responsibility for a mailing list server. It is currently ListServe Lite from LSoft. It is operating 700 lists and 2,200 members. The only user interface to it is through commands sent via eMail, similar to submitting a batch job to a mainframe in decades past. It is running on a homemade WindowsXP box.

I want to move it to something much more manageable with a GUI that shows lists and members of lists, and everything you might expect from a system programmed in at least the 1980s! I also want to move it to a Mac, as it is, for a number of reasons, our platform of choice. LSoft does have a Mac version with a web interface. Their installation procedure makes it obvious that it is really a *Nix program that must be assembled through a complex series of steps, with pieces dropped into various directories and configuration files set up. I just don't have time for all of that.

Can anyone suggest a better mailing list server that installs and runs in a modern way and on a Mac? Kerio MailServer has some mailing list capability, but it is far short of the functionality that we need for this number of lists and users, and the users are mostly external -- not having mailboxes in KMS. We are happy with KMS for regular mail, but need something else for these lists.

Thanks in advance!
  •  
cwachs

I am very happy with Communigate Pro. Runs on many platforms and is easy to administer. I think you can run it w/o a license for a single list.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Ron!

We use LetterRip, a Mac listserv program. It works great, easy to setup and manage with an administration program. While ours is running 15 mail lists, it has not had any problems. You might want to check, but it should handle your volume.

LetterRip replaced our aging Liststar program (which has not been updated in > 5-years).

I did look at LSoft Listserv. It looks like a powerful program, but I could never figure out how to install it on a Mac (I'm no Unix guru, but I do know how to run unix commands--just found their instructions very confusing).

Ron

•  
bzeb

i see this is an old(er) post...

i also transitioned from ListStar to the massively better LetterRip several years ago. it is really a great application. easy to manage and configure.

HOWEVER... they have stopped selling it. and is basically in a pseudo-dead state at this point in time. they are still providing support and fixes but the program is no longer available for purchase meaning it will probably be functionally dead sooner rather than later.

in addition... the program uses Open Transport which Apple has deprecated and according to the LetterRip developer is EOL'd by Apple. this is an issue as the current version of LetterRip has a potential fatal flaw when used in Leopard. not *all* people see the problem and for some it works perfectly fine. but *some* people have it crash nonstop.

i am also using the Mailman application that is included with OSX Server for a single list on a separate domain. not as easy to set-up as LetterRip and installing from scratch on a non-OSX Server machine is considerably complicated. but it appears to work okay in the testing phase i am currently in.

•  
j.a.duke

bzeb wrote on Thu, 14 February 2008 01:43

i see this is an old(er) post...

i also transitioned from ListStar to the massively better LetterRip several years ago. it is really a great application. easy to manage and configure.

HOWEVER... they have stopped selling it. and is basically in a pseudo-dead state at this point in time. they are still providing support and fixes but the program is no longer available for purchase meaning it will probably be functionally dead sooner rather than later.

in addition... the program uses Open Transport which Apple has deprecated and according to the LetterRip developer is EOL'd by Apple. this is an issue as the current version of LetterRip has a potential fatal flaw when used in Leopard. not *all* people see the problem and for some it works perfectly fine. but *some* people have it crash nonstop.

i am also using the Mailman application that is included with OSX Server for a single list on a separate domain. not as easy to set-up as LetterRip and installing from scratch on a non-OSX Server machine is considerably complicated. but it appears to work okay in the testing phase i am currently in.

Currently, I'm running Macjordomo 1.6something.

You can check it out at http://macjordomo.med.cornell.edu/

The program just works and provides a nice GUI.

Also, Michelle is very responsive when requested-he whipped up a change to allow it to handle SMTP Submit ports in a day or so of my request.

Note that the download linked on the site doesn't always equate to the latest version-I think I'm running 1.6a7 and the page links to a3.

Normally one would assume that it is still in the alpha stage, but honestly, having run it for a really long time it's nice and stable. Also, I don't think there has ever been a final release of Macjordomo.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jon
Previous Topic: Mail list administration
Next Topic: Domain Restrictions
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 06:24:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00595 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.