Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to decode POP3 Password from mailserver.cfg (Lost POP3 Account password, need to decode from mailserver.cfg)
  •  
darwintjoe

Send a private message to this user
I have some POP3 Account which scheduled downloaded using Kerio Mailserver, unfortunately I forgot some password of it.

Is there anyway to retrieve or decode the password from password variable in mailserver.cfg.

Regards,
Darwin Tjoe
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

There is no public way how to decode the password.
I can try to retrieve it, please send me the encoded password in private message.
  •  
zwaugh

One thing you can do in these situations is use a packet sniffer to retrieve the password. This only works when the password is setup on a client and is working properly, but you just want to retrieve the password instead of resetting it for whatever reason. You can use Wireshark or tcpdump or Microsoft Network Monitor (depending on your environment) and just look at the packets from that client when it authenticates since POP3 auth info is sent as clear text (as long as its not going over SSL). I'm not sure if this will help in your case.
  •  
winkelman

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Sat, 22 December 2007 12:51

There is no public way how to decode the password.
I can try to retrieve it, please send me the encoded password in private message.

I must say it is somewhat strange you offer this 'service'.

I may just get my hands on someone else's mailserver.cfg and then you'd just go ahead and decode the passwords for me? Twisted Evil

darwintjoe: I'm not trying to get into your way, but it's strange to me that Kerio offers to decode passwords to people of which you just cannot be sure who they actually are...
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

winkelman wrote on Mon, 31 December 2007 12:10

I must say it is somewhat strange you offer this 'service'.

I always try to help our customers. I do not offer any 'service' for decoding passwords - anyone can do this with own configuration file and network analyzer as described in the above post.
Quote:

I may just get my hands on someone else's mailserver.cfg and then you'd just go ahead and decode the passwords for me? Twisted Evil

Actually, KMS must have a way how to decode the password (for remote POP3 account) because this is the only way how to get password which has to be used in authentication to POP3 server.

BTW: If you are able to get someone's configuration file, you have probably access to all data on the computer including all e-mails.
Quote:

darwintjoe: I'm not trying to get into your way, but it's strange to me that Kerio offers to decode passwords to people of which you just cannot be sure who they actually are...

Kerio does not offer such service. I just donated one hour of my time and tried to help.
  •  
Lyle M

That'll teach you to be helpful!!! Smile

Happy New Year.

-Lyle
Previous Topic: Public Folder / Contacts - sorting issues
Next Topic: Migrating to a new server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:35:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00388 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.