Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Mailserver Question
  •  
kspringer

Send a private message to this user
If you were just beginning to install your Kerio Mailserver, would you prefer to run it on a Windows or a Mac Server?

We have a 50/50 split of both types of clients.

What are the plusses and minuses of each?

Thanks
  •  
78er

Both systems are stable for using KMS, but pc server is cheapest..
(Compare prices of Mac Pro/Xserv vs. HP servers with same hw parameters)

I have KMS on Mac Pro (270 users) and on HP Proliant (40 users).
  •  
My IT Indy

I prefer Mac servers, but thats just me.

What it comes down to it what you're comfortable with managing.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
monsterfreecity

We administrate four Mac servers and love them for their rock solid stability -- uptime is measured in months (the only time we reboot is for the occasional OS X security update).

Up until last month, our smallest server was a lowly Mac Mini (1.42GHz G4) with 1GB RAM and a couple external drives.

On the high end, we have a Dual 2.0 G5 tower with an internal RAID 1 and an external firewire drive for nightly clones. It serves 140 users like the wind (graphic design users, mind you -- the kind who are complete idiots about 30MB attachments and such).

Beyond that, I'd say seek out as many cost-of-ownership studies as you can find. That's the "true" cost of having a Mac or PC around.

•  
My IT Indy

78er wrote on Thu, 03 January 2008 16:40

Both systems are stable for using KMS, but pc server is cheapest..
(Compare prices of Mac Pro/Xserv vs. HP servers with same hw parameters)

I have KMS on Mac Pro (270 users) and on HP Proliant (40 users).

The cost of the hardware might be better for a PC, however you don't need OS X Server to run KMS, you can use OS X Client.

If cost is TRULY a concern, run a Linux distro on a homemade server.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
78er

..any other difference between these os?

im just courious

[Updated on: Fri, 04 January 2008 15:02]

•  
My IT Indy

78er wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 09:00

..any other difference between these os?

im just courious

Are you asking me this question?

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between Windows, OS X, and Linux.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
sodonnell

Another thing to consider is the type of file system each OS uses.

We were running KMS on a quad core MacPro with an X-Serve RAID attached as storage. The HFS+ file system was problematic and we would experience severe lock ups on occasion. When Apple announced no official support for ZFS on OS X we migrated over to RHEL5 which uses the ext3 file system and no longer experience lock ups.

In a smaller organization I wouldn't think the type of file system is all that important but for us it necessitate a change in OS. We have approx 400 users using Entourage and connecting to KMS as an Exchange server. We also have approx 40 or 50 users connecting via ActiveSync.
  •  
My IT Indy

I've never seen problems with HFS+ and servers. Are you sure it was a HFS+ bug, or could it have been directory corruption or bad hardware?

-
My IT Indy
  •  
sodonnell

Pretty sure it's an HFS+ bug and deals with a very large number of files being accessed. Seeing as how KMS does not use a database every email, contact, calendar even etc is a file.

The MacPro and X-Serve RAID we were using for KMS have been repurposed and placed in our production environment. We've had no issues what so ever with either.
  •  
My IT Indy

Interesting, can you give an approximation on how many files there were on the RAID?

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: Problems using KMS Outlook plugin through wireless
Next Topic: TODAY Page Modification
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 19:30:28 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.