Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5 beta
  •  
88fingerslukee

Send a private message to this user
Can anybody tell me about their experiences with the beta version of 6.5? For various reasons including limited server availability, I cannot start testing it yet.

Are their any major issues with the release?

Does KOFF speed up remote usage of Outlook (this is key for my company)?

I'd be most appreciative to learn of any problems or praise.
  •  
hchavarria

My company has been beta testing it and so far I haven't found any major errors. KOC Offline seems to work like a charm. This has speed things up for us which was much needed. The only big issue I have noticed is if you have a computer/phone connecting via IMAP and you leave the outlook offline running, when you delete a message via imap it doesn't remove it form the offline mode.
  •  
heze54

Aham....

Like a charm ehh? Do you know when a stable version?
  •  
hchavarria

I have no idea when it will be released. I only have a few users using the offline connector and the rest are using the standard connector. The users using offline connector with mobile devices simply close their outlook when they leave the office or choose not to delete the read message via the mobile device to prevent the error I mentioned.
  •  
snorlax

Hi, I'm currently testing it in my company.

Yes KOFF works very well (I've never manage to make KOC of previous version work on my Outlook 2007 Sad ) but still some things are missing :
- categories are not synchronised between Outlook 2007 and KMS
- KOFF process sometimes stays up even if Outlook has been correctly closed
- Outlook notes attached to Calendar or Task items are not well synchronised (many Sync Error Report)

...but still KMS 6.5 seems to be a very interresting new release !

[Updated on: Sun, 13 January 2008 13:48]

•  
rinzwind

Why focus on that large bulky slow underdeveloped program called Outlook? Outlook 2007 is the worst one, you would think things improve when developing new versions. How IS Outlook 2007 functionally better than Outlook 2000 apart from a multi calendar view?!

Just improve the Web Client (Kerio marketing: change the name web mail in Web Client) so you don't think any more of Outlook. It just needs some extra functions and refinements.
  •  
snorlax

I've been using KMS webmail for almost 6 month now but this webmail is very slow compared to a POP or IMAP client. And for instance, the webmail client does not handle correctly images included directly in the mail body (not attached but inline).

but yes, webmail is really cool when you need to manage your informations/mails without your regular computer.
  •  
rinzwind

What is slow about webmail? The remote load time depends on internet speed of the mail server (especially upload). On your LAN (internal ip address) things should be fast.
  •  
snorlax

Consider this scenario:
- starting from your inbox, create a new mail
- switch to calendar to check something
- look in the contacts to find an email address
- go back to your inbox because the email address is only available in one received mail
- the finish your email

Dont tell me it's as fast in Outlook and in the Webmail ! Each time you acces a different fonctionality (inbox, contacts, tasks, calendar), your webmail gets everything again from the KMS whereas Outlook has it (and only synchronizes it in "background").

Moreover, I don't speak about offline work : webmail is simply unable to achieve this... except to finish the task you where doing before de disconection (thanks to the v6.4!). Offline work is very important feature for me...

So, I'll say it's just a matter of use : sometimes webmail is THE solution, sometimes it's Outlook (or any other POP/IMAP client).
  •  
88fingerslukee

I have to agree with snorlax here. The Webmail is fantastic...for webmail.

Outlook simply offers functionality and flexibility that this particular php application cannot. Offline capabilities aside (and these are huge, btw), Outlook is more powerful, handles attachments better and offers better presentation and organization of data than webmail does.

This is not to say that webmail doesn't have it's place. It's extremely fast. It's faster than any webmail application I've ever used and is probably the most fully-featured as well; however, if you're a power user of the Calendar, Task and Scheduling functions, a server-side app just isn't able to match up to a client-side app.

Outlook IS big and it IS bulky. Alternatives DO exist but Kerio is yet to support them. Evolution for Linux has been ported to Windows and works very well with MS Exchange servers. If Kerio decided to add this functionality, I think you'd see a lot of problems solved.
  •  
sedell

I would have to agree. Webmail is good for what it is, but it's not a replacement for a desktop mail client. There are too many things webmail can't do. No offline access, no support for third party programs and systems that require a mail client on the PC, no mailto: URL handlers, no support for importing/exporting tasks, calendar items, and contacts to/from other applications.

And as far as alternatives, there aren't many that can match what Outlook can do, or have the third party program support that Outlook has. Ever have desktop applications that require a mail client on the machine, and try to get them to recognize something other than Outlook? It rarely happens. Ever try to deploy a mail client other than Outlook via GP or SMS? Difficult at best. Ever try to set up network policies for mail clients other than Outlook? It's almost impossible.

As much as I hate Outlook sometimes, webmail will never have all of the abilities a mail client can have, and alternatives don't have don't have the third party support, or the features, both for the end user and for the administrators, that Outlook has.

Scott
  •  
willowsv

hchavarria wrote on Tue, 08 January 2008 20:59

My company has been beta testing it and so far I haven't found any major errors. KOC Offline seems to work like a charm. This has speed things up for us which was much needed. The only big issue I have noticed is if you have a computer/phone connecting via IMAP and you leave the outlook offline running, when you delete a message via imap it doesn't remove it form the offline mode.

Doesen't it remove it when you go back online? If not then its a bug if so then its a missing feature from Kerio called "Psychic Mode" I suspect this will be coming some time in 2010.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2008 12:15]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I would guess the IMAP client doesn't actuallu remove the message but only mark it as deleted for other IMAP clients. Make sure that your IMAP client does remove the message from the folder. Otherwise, it will be still visible in other non-IMAP clients.
  •  
snorlax

Hi Pavel,

Still no news of categories synchro between OL and KMS 6.5 ?

Regards
lwalling

6.5B RC2 is impressive.

The performance of KOFF is great. Outlook 2007 seems to be performing better than when connecting to an Exchange server with this build, especially on searches (of large mail stores).

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the final release.
Previous Topic: [german] sync funktion
Next Topic: managing individual account access to email facilities
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:19:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00525 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.