Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Linux Distribution Options
  •  
jaikudo

Send a private message to this user
Hi everybody,

This is my first post and you are probably going to see a few from me as we are currently on a 30 day demo and have quite a lot of questions which are not appropriate to bother Support with. Here is the first of them:

The latest Fedora supported by Kerio is 7 and the latest SUSE is 10.2. These both go off vendor support in 2008. Fedora 7 could be gone in just a few months! We really don't want to have to upgrade the server too often but we can't really run on a vendor unsupported version either as the system will be internet accessible and needs to be patched up well. We don't want to run a distribution not supported by Kerio as we might need support later. We don't want to pay for RHEL.

I guess other Linux users must be in the same boat if they don't run RHEL. What are your thoughts? What would you recommend we do?

How safe is it to upgrade Fedora or SUSE over the top of an existing KMS install? How much downtime should we expect? Would it be foolish not to have a temporary replacement server to cover the upgrade?

Are we being too chicken in sticking to the officially supported Linux versions?
  •  
maxfontana

jaikudo wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 11:18

Hi everybody,
[cut]
Are we being too chicken in sticking to the officially supported Linux versions?

Hi...never thought about CentOs ? I've been running it on my 3 linux servers since 3 years. Never had a problem! KMS is running on a CentOs 4.3 machine since 8 months flawlessly...

Regards,
Max
Italy
  •  
jaikudo

MaxFontana wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 10:34

never thought about CentOs ?

I asked Support about CentOS and they are considering whether it can be regarded as a supported platform. My hope is that they will see it as just RHEL with a different name and logo and give it the thumbs up.

You say that you are running KMS OK on CentOS. Is this a production server or a test server? If it is a production server, do you worry about it not being officially supported?
  •  
maxfontana

Actually It's an "hybrid" test/production server Smile
I'm migrating very slowly my users (about 50) from a Qmail server to KMS. Right now I'm at about the 40% of the job. Process runs smoothly. No big problems 'till now.
That's way I can tell you I'm not so worried about CentOs and its unsupported status.

Best Regards,
Max

•  
88fingerslukee

I have three machines running CentOS (one on 4.5, two on 5.1).

KMS runs on 5.1 and is a production server. I tested KMS on both versions of the OS and it ran flawlessly. There isn't really too much to worry about with this software. Once you can get the mailserver installed (which is mind-numbingly simple), everything is handled natively. You don't have to set up any other servers or daemons at all. All the processes are withing KMS so you just edit your firewall and let KMS bind to the correct ports.

CentOS is stable and is based on RHEL. Since RPM was invented by RedHat, CentOS also natively handles the RPM package install that Kerio provides. I suggest you try it.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2008 20:04]

Previous Topic: LDAP eror
Next Topic: Disable NTLM in Outlook 2007?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:33:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.