Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Disaster recovery: Importing Kerio files to Outlook (Server has died, urgently need to recover emails/contacts from Kerio server)
  •  
devstudio

Send a private message to this user
Would really appreciate any help - we had a power surge or power cut yesterday and the server died. After spending a couple of hours with Dell support, they've decided that the server is not supported under warranty due to the incorrect power supply (read: power cut/surge)!!!

It's going to take a while to get a good response on getting the server repaired.

Meanwhile we urgently need the emails and contacts from the server, I've recovered the hard drive and pulled the files from it, but they're all individual eml files in numerous folders (for 1 account alone it totals 2Gb with over 7,000 emails).

I've had no luck importing to Outlook 2003, but I've just managed to import them individually into Outlook Express. It will take hours, if not days to re-create all the folder structure and copy the emails by hand. Is there any better method to get them to Outlook 2003?

Also I need the contacts - for 1 user I've found a 2Mb .fld file and a subfolder called #msgs which contains over 1,000 .eml files, but when opening they specify Vcard but don't hold any information.

It's going to take a few days to either purchase another server or rebuild and re-install another one, but we still need to contact clients, etc. in the meantime.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Peter

[Updated on: Wed, 06 February 2008 18:49]

•  
sedell

Kerio's file store uses .eml files to store everything from e-mail to vCards to calendar events. You have to access it through KMS - it wasn't designed to be accessed independently from the system. Modifying it independently could damage the file store, and you could find yourself in real trouble once you try to run it on a server again.

If I were in your situation, I'd install Kerio on a PC, restore your backup there (assuming you have backups), and use that until you get a new server or repair yours.

Scott
  •  
BudDurland

+1 on Scott's idea.

Presuming you have Kerio installed on the C: drive of the server, you can probably install Kerio to a workstation, shut down the Kerio service, than copy all the recovered files to it. You'll need the data files (\KERIO\<domain_name>..."), and the config files (c:\program files\kerio\MailServer\*.cfg.

Hope this helps

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
sedell

If you're just copying the file store, see the knowledge base. There is a KB article detailing the steps to take to move the file store to another machine or location. If you don't follow those steps, you could damage the file store, depending on what OS you're on. I've run into issues with that first-hand.

Scott
  •  
devstudio

Thanks all for your responses. Didn't realise you could just install it to any system, just assumed it had to be a server. We had someone in to configure it all intially.

Yep, I have been at least a little organised and had backups running daily. Rolling Eyes

I've installed in on another system, the first restore dumped 28,000 emails into the root inbox, no folder structure. Then I realised I'd just restored 2 random zip files from all the zip files in the folder - being a differential backup, I'm now re-running the restore with all the backup files in place.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Peter
  •  
devstudio

Thanks BudDurland for the additional tip of copying the .cfg files.

All worked fine, although I had to reset the passwords to the accounts, as it wouldn't let me in on the old ones.

Had the additional issue of as soon as I restored the backup and cfg files, it downloaded all the new messages that had been received since the crash.

Alas these didn't go into their previous accounts and I couldn't find them. Just did a simple date search and found the .eml files in a queue folder (can't remember the exact path). Just dragged these into Outlook Express then exported to Outlook.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peter
Previous Topic: Email Server with all our wishes
Next Topic: mail going to wrong address
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 11:21:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00379 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.