Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Advice sought for migrating to Kerio (Need advice and tips for migrating from CommuniGate Pro to Kerio)
  •  
ag4apple

Send a private message to this user
Hello all,

I'm one of two IT folks for my company of about 115 employees, and we are looking at migrating from CommuniGate Pro to Kerio. At this point, its pretty much a done deal - we are just waiting for the 6.5 final release to make the jump.

However, I have some questions, and I'm hoping I can get some help. I wish the Kerio folks had more info out there on strategies to migrate (if you go to the Zimbra forums, they have an entire sub-forum dedicated to the subject). So, I'm hoping to get some help from the community.

1. We operate our existing accounts as IMAP. We've done a little testing with the CommuniGate migration tool that Kerio has, and it does work, but it is slow. We have a lot of data to get moved over, and I just don't think it can happen all at once. Is it possible to run both servers at the same time and be able to send and receive e-mail through the same domain? This would allow us to migrate accounts over in batches.

In other words, our existing CGPro server is mail.ourcompany.com. Could we set up the new Kerio server as mail.ourcompany.com as well, and have some accounts using the old CGPro server, and other accounts using the Kerio server, just until we can get everyone moved over to Kerio?

2. How have folks here handled training their new users? Screencasts? One on one training and transition support? Written instructions? What is most effective?

3. We are a mixed platform company . . . about 60% Windows XP, about 40% Mac (Tiger and Leopard). Most of our Mac users thankfully stay away from Entourage, but should we encourage them to use it with Kerio, because of some of the collaboration features you get with Entourage and Kerio?

4. We are looking at running Kerio on RHEL 5 . . . anyone had any problems using that as a server platform?

5. At some point this year, we are going to implement an Open Directory server . . . anyone had any experience with Open Directory and Kerio?

Any thoughts anyone could provide on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

•  
cachedmode

are you aware of the upcoming price hike? you may want to purchase before 6.5 / 15th Feb
  •  
My IT Indy

ag4apple wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 16:38

Hello all,

I'm one of two IT folks for my company of about 115 employees, and we are looking at migrating from CommuniGate Pro to Kerio. At this point, its pretty much a done deal - we are just waiting for the 6.5 final release to make the jump.

However, I have some questions, and I'm hoping I can get some help. I wish the Kerio folks had more info out there on strategies to migrate (if you go to the Zimbra forums, they have an entire sub-forum dedicated to the subject). So, I'm hoping to get some help from the community.

1. We operate our existing accounts as IMAP. We've done a little testing with the CommuniGate migration tool that Kerio has, and it does work, but it is slow. We have a lot of data to get moved over, and I just don't think it can happen all at once. Is it possible to run both servers at the same time and be able to send and receive e-mail through the same domain? This would allow us to migrate accounts over in batches.

IMAPCopy will do this for you if you can keep both servers up at the same time. It's not fast by any means, however it will keep all of the statuses identical to your old server.

Quote:

In other words, our existing CGPro server is mail.ourcompany.com. Could we set up the new Kerio server as mail.ourcompany.com as well, and have some accounts using the old CGPro server, and other accounts using the Kerio server, just until we can get everyone moved over to Kerio?

I would NOT recommend this, you cannot have 2 identical DNS name entries for different addresses. You could do something like mail01.company.com and mail02.company.com however.

Quote:

2. How have folks here handled training their new users? Screencasts? One on one training and transition support? Written instructions? What is most effective?

I've used personal 1 on 1 training. It's not too tough to do if you have small classes even. Word Docs with pics are good for users as well.

Quote:

3. We are a mixed platform company . . . about 60% Windows XP, about 40% Mac (Tiger and Leopard). Most of our Mac users thankfully stay away from Entourage, but should we encourage them to use it with Kerio, because of some of the collaboration features you get with Entourage and Kerio?

Entourage is fairly limited as it won't sync tasks, categories, nor notes to the server. It also cannot take advantage of server-side groups. If you have Leopard you can use iCal to connect directly to the server with caldav and the experience is pretty good. There are limitations to all platforms that you should be aware of.

Quote:

4. We are looking at running Kerio on RHEL 5 . . . anyone had any problems using that as a server platform?

Nope, I've been running on Fedora Core 6 for a year now on a hosted server I have without any issues at all.

Quote:

5. At some point this year, we are going to implement an Open Directory server . . . anyone had any experience with Open Directory and Kerio?

Yep, it works okay.

Any thoughts anyone could provide on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[/quote]

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask away.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
SteveU

Ah...a fellow CGP convert. Welcome Very Happy I can't say how much happier we are after our migration.

Here are my thoughts:

MIGRATION
I'd recommend using "imapsync" for your migration. Worked like a charm for us (status, flags and dates were maintained). As per HoosierMac, we ran concurrent mail servers (mail & mail2) for quite some time with little or no difficulties. The only setback, in our case, was having to go back after the migration and reverting email settings on all of our machines to the old MX record (mail) since we decided not to keep mail2 as an MX record.

TRAINING
One-on-One worked best for our office in addition to some summarized quick reference documentation we compiled for staff.

MS ENTOURAGE
In as few words as possible - It's for some and not for others. I'd go with the WebDav features coming up in 6.5 for OS X users as well as the updated offline mode for MS Outlook. Keep in mind, there are trade-offs no matter which client configuration you go with.

RED HAT
Go for it. It's definitely a cost effective and stable platform.
  •  
ag4apple

Quote:

are you aware of the upcoming price hike? you may want to purchase before 6.5 / 15th Feb

Price hike? No, I had not heard of this. How much of a hike are we talking about? And are you saying that existing customers are going to avoid the increase?
  •  
ag4apple

These are awesome suggestions, thanks to everyone.

Ok, some additional questions:

Quote:

I would NOT recommend this, you cannot have 2 identical DNS name entries for different addresses. You could do something like mail01.company.com and mail02.company.com however.

Yeah, I really knew we should not try to have 2 identical MX records pointing to different addresses, so I'm glad to hear ways around this.

Quote:

As per HoosierMac, we ran concurrent mail servers (mail & mail2) for quite some time with little or no difficulties. The only setback, in our case, was having to go back after the migration and reverting email settings on all of our machines to the old MX record (mail) since we decided not to keep mail2 as an MX record.

Ok, so how exactly would this work? Assuming we set up mail02.company.com as our Kerio server, and keep the CGPro server as mail.company.com, what happens when we migrate user John Doe from the CGPro server to the Kerio server. How does incoming mail to john.doe<_a.t_>company.com get routed to the Kerio server?

Thanks again . . .

•  
SteveU

In order to run both servers (old & KMS) at the same time you would need to set it so that they relay messages to each other if the recipients aren't found or don't exist. Pretty simple to do...especially in the case of KMS.

NOTE: As a result, message loops can occur. Especially in the case of spam messages.
  •  
cachedmode

Yes I believe that most resellers can still honour the existing pricing. According to another post on the forum the price increase will coincide with the 6.5 release. (It is a significant increase) I would suggest you see if you an order at the old pricing.

(Obviously the subscription renewal in a years time will be at the new prices but at least you will save some of the initial cost.

This is about the third or fourth significant increase in recent years & I think they are very quick to do this because of the new features. (Which is very irritating to those of us who have been waiting years)
  •  
ag4apple

First off, thanks to all who responded with words of wisdom.

Just thought I'd provide an update to all who were interested:

We now have all our incoming mail going through our Kerio Mail Server (6.5). One thing I failed to mention before is that we use Postini for spam interception, so our MX record actually points to that IP address. Then, we tell Postini where to send our e-mail.

We configured KMS to forward all incoming e-mail if the destination was for an account that does not exist on KMS. We still have our CGPro server on the original domain (mail.ourcompany.com) and we now have KMS on a new domain (mx.ourcompany.com). Then, we flipped the switch with Postini, and I have to say, it pretty much worked right out of the bat.

We only have a couple of accounts set up on KMS at this point (mine is one of them), and everything seems to be working smoothly. Now we are going to work on our security settings before we start migrating people over.

Thanks again to all . . . I may post more updates here, just in case others would like to know the gritty details of our progress.

Previous Topic: Disk size
Next Topic: [german] sync funktion
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 03:52:01 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.