Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » [KOC] Offline Mode
  •  
willowsv

Send a private message to this user
Well I reluctantly installed KOC on the main server today and unsurprisingly the usual issues with one client not updating ( Just says the versions are incomptable, no uato upgrade ) but to my surprise once I had gone around all 15 machines and ensured they all worked correctly to my surprise I found that my Outlook looked nothing like the one I had instaled into our beta enviroment.

After further investigation all the machine seemed to be running the Non Offline mode which was a little strange but understandable however until I nopticed that NONE of the other promised features were presetn in the non cached version ( mostly the mapped folders shown in a logical way and the grouping of folders.

Not being a problem I installed the KOC Offline Edition to my PC and fired it up. As promised all the functionality was their and working correctly until I noticed that KOC was trying to sync over 80000 diary entried and tens of thousands of archives and e-mails in public folders off the server. Not needing duplication or syncronisation of any folders availbel offline xcept my inobox I duefully turned off syncronisation on everything except my inbox.

Its been like this for the last hour until I relised that all my other folders were empty Sad it would appear that what you would expect to happen ( pull the mails off the server with no caching when its turned off ) doesent work. This makes the entire poitn pointless I dont NEED outlook to sync the projects folder and neither do I need access to it offline.

If there a KOC 6.5 (Without Offline Caching but not stripped of any new features editon) or a hybrid one that will only let me cache what needs caching and not force me to keep 20 copies of my mail store. There are some things where offline cachine would be disaterous the shared calenders for example! they need to be looked at in realtime and cachine is going to cause a LOT of issues.
  •  
rinzwind

OKOC by default only downloads the full messages of the inbox. Of other (sub)folders only headers are downloaded. This can be changed in the properties of the folder as described in the OKOC document. I find this a good default setting. In your case an option to globally exclude particular public folders would be a nice update. However, I think your local store size isn't a problem is it?
  •  
willowsv

Well thats the point rearlly theres no way of having some folders "online only" and not cached which in the office is rearlly what we want. We dont rearlly need caching at all! Infact caching to us on anything except the 6 company laptops is pretty pointless and doesent justify the space even if it is just 100,000 headers it still takes time to access them when you click on them.

I have just opened outlook and its taken a good 30s before I can actually access my new e-mails while it syncs something in which I know a lot of office people are going to have issues with initially.

Unfortunatly Kerio have taken the line where any new features are having to force users to use the new KOFF to gain access to them.
  •  
rinzwind

Well, Outlook 2007 always takes it's time to start. Whether I am using OKOC, Exchange, POP3 or IMAP.

I'm glad there is OKOC. Performance wise it's also better. Your server can handle more Outlook users!

And you can search full messages with Outlook.

I only see positives...

Now, next release pay some attention to webmail enhancements!

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2008 09:51]

•  
digiclone

I agree - it would be very nice to be able to select specific folders to cache and other folders to not cache. It would seem that most would want their personal folders cached, but not public folders. Especially when the public folders are ones that get updated frequently by many users, just as willowsv said.

We have a situation where 1 person has a ton of large CAD drawings in one of his inbox sub folders. It would be great to be able to disable that one folder so his koff only accesses that particular folder online, but all other folders offline.

KERIO: Any possibility to add this feature in the future?
  •  
sedell

digiclone wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 16:58

I agree - it would be very nice to be able to select specific folders to cache and other folders to not cache.

Right-click a folder, choose properties, and turn off/on or otherwise adjust synchronization settings on the Folder Synchronization tab.

Scott
  •  
willowsv

sedell wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 13:45

digiclone wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 16:58

I agree - it would be very nice to be able to select specific folders to cache and other folders to not cache.

Right-click a folder, choose properties, and turn off/on or otherwise adjust synchronization settings on the Folder Synchronization tab.

....... Will mean you will no longer recieve any new stuff for that folder.

If you have stuff cached in it you can see the old stuff ( ie it sits around and doesent get deleted ) but any new mail dumped in there wont show up. Its either cache it offline or dont theres no way to force a folder to always be "online"
  •  
sedell

I haven't tested it out myself yet because we don't have any folders yet that we need to make online only.

Is that a bug? It's a) counter-intuitive, b) makes no sense, and c) doesn't state that's the behavior in the manual. There should be big bold letters stating you won't get mail if you disable sync, as most won't expect that and will miss out on things.

Scott
  •  
willowsv

We do mostly our entire public folders.

My home laptop has to sync over a 400kbps internet connection and I don't think I've ever seen it not syncing. Whenever I hover over its at 18% and syncing some ridiculously large archive folder that I don't need available offline.
  •  
scottwilkins

My understanding from Kerio on this is that folders that are not synchronized initially by default (inbox, etc) will be synced upon access with current data. Full messages will be synced fully once accessed. From that point that message will remain in the off-line database on your machine. Only folders that are marked as synchronized and whole message will be synced without user intervention. This helps keep server traffic reasonable under normal load.

Basically you'll see any messages available in a "non-synced" folder, but only if Outlook/KOFF can contact the server. After that the message(s) will always be available, on or off line. New messages will be known to Outlook, but not available off-line unless you view the folder/message while in an on-line status.

In our environment, I have setup sync for the root folder "mailbox of..." to sync all messages including message body for only our laptop users. All other users sync as per normal Kerio settings. BTW, I believe these settings are identical to Exchange server settings for Outlook.
  •  
pantera10

scottwilkins wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 16:53

In our environment, I have setup sync for the root folder "mailbox of..." to sync all messages including message body for only our laptop users. All other users sync as per normal Kerio settings. BTW, I believe these settings are identical to Exchange server settings for Outlook.

I understand your point of view, but if a laptop user create a new folder, OKOC won't sync the messages's bodies of this folder. Laptop user have to be think to do that manually (Properties of this folder, Synchronisation...).

Don't you think it would be great if the synchronization setup of "Mail box of .." is applied to all the folders even the folders that could be created later?

Kerio Connect 7.0.1 on Open Suse 11.1 64 bits
Outlook 2007 with KOFF. 100 users
  •  
scottwilkins

pantera10 wrote on Fri, 14 March 2008 15:08

I understand your point of view, but if a laptop user create a new folder, OKOC won't sync the messages's bodies of this folder. Laptop user have to be think to do that manually (Properties of this folder, Synchronisation...).

Don't you think it would be great if the synchronization setup of "Mail box of .." is applied to all the folders even the folders that could be created later?

Keep in mind you are only speaking of the time when the users is actually off-line. Many scenarios will happen in that case (they are offline):

1. They create a new folder, it's local and offline, nothing lost.
2. They are not going to get new e-mail their anyway.
3. If a message comes in, it defaults to the inbox which is 100% synced anyway.

Then, once on-line,

1. The "new" folder is synced anyway. Because it's new to the server.
2. If the users visits that folder while on-line, it's synced.
3. The "new" folder was local before it was e-mail side, so copies are located both on the client and the e-mail server (basically 100% synced)

In the end, all changes are transparent and proper. The likelyhood of a problem occuring is so small, and and changes that could occur no matter what the setting will be synced once the user is online.

The only possibility a problem could occur while the user is on-line is if a change to a non-standard folder occurs on the server and sync is not set for that folder, they may not be able to access while off-line. Server side rules may affect this, but those type of rules are rare. Because if a change occured on the client side while on-line, that change is synced by default no matter what the setting. Any change has got to be done in the client database, and stored, before it can be communicated to the server.

Also keep in mind, this is identical to the way Exchange works.

I'm just trying to say, it's a problem no matter what you use, and it's normally an accepted problem due to extreme low probability. I tested this to many different ends, and was never surprized by a bad outcome.

For already exsisting folders, I'd recommend that you right click on the "Mailbox of..." at the top of the folder list, and sync all folders by using the "apply settings to all folders..." while the user is online next. But only for laptop or known very mobile users. That way you start from a known point, and the above scenarios will not cause any undo or unexpected harm. Doing it for every client is a bit of a waste, IMHO.

If your highly mobile users are not used to Exchange or any other off-line e-mail other than POP3 type accounts, some training may be in order to help them understand what their possibilities are.
  •  
willowsv

My understanding from Kerio on this is that folders that are not synchronized initially by default (inbox, etc) will be synced upon access with current data. Full messages will be synced fully once accessed. From that point that message will remain in the off-line database on your machine. Only folders that are marked as synchronized and whole message will be synced without user intervention. This helps keep server traffic reasonable under normal load.

Well this would probably be OK however it doesn't quite work this way ( not here anyway )

If I disable syncing of a folder and then login to web mail and merrily add mail to it mark messages read/unread delete messages the folder simply remains in the last state it was when it was synced. If this sync has never taken place then the messages just sit there.

It never gets synced on access or restart of outlook meaning its now effectively a dud. The folder should automatically sync on access to it or default to "online mode"

Previous Topic: KOC Offline Ed error 0x80040154 Class not Reg
Next Topic: Kerio with Novell eDirectory
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 00:34:24 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00556 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.