Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio 6.5.0 (offline caching is here), Results?
  •  
RPC_Admin

Send a private message to this user
So who has installed this, how did it go? What do we watch out for?

Maybe we should include platform info
Users:
Version/s of Outlook:

I will install a test server today.
  •  
My IT Indy

Maybe we should include platform info
Users:5
Version/s of Outlook:2007

It works great, especially considering these users are on my hosted server and not on a lan. I use Outlook 2007 as well at home and it's fine for my server. I have none of the speed issues I had with 6.4.2 and the KOC.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
bigmountain

I just want to make sure that I understood the upgrade recommendations that Kerio published. From my understanding, the upgrade will take place just as previous upgrades have and the KOC will (should) automatically apply the updates once the client restarts Outlook. However, this just updates KOC to the 6.5 version and then we need to manually install the KOFF and install over the updated KOC 6.5 version? I have about 100 users using Outlook and I have to be careful on the process. Please advise or let me know if KOFF automatically installed itself or if you had to do this manually. Thanks!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
winkelman

bigmountain wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 21:21

From my understanding, the upgrade will take place just as previous upgrades have

Indeed. I read in another thread that KOC 6.4.x will simply auto-update to KOC 6.5.0. So not to KOFF 6.5.0. Nothing much changed there.

Migrating towards the KOFF is essentially a separate thing and can be done user by user afterward.

AFAIK.
  •  
willowsv

All clients upgrade to KOC 5.0 not KOFF. KOC 5.0 is basically a shell it offers nothing new that 5.42 offered.

To be honest I was quite dissapointed with KOFF. There is no way of caching only certain folders and keeping the ones that dont need to be cached on the server. If you disable syncronisation you simply cant see the contents of the folder and you dont get new mail delivered into it.

It would appear you need to keep a complete copy of your mail store and public folders locally on every machine which in our case is simply unviable.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

There is an option to synchronize only email headers in the folder. So email body is not downloaded from server ("cached" in Outlook).
  •  
willowsv

Well yes but when your talking about a calender say with over 65000 archived jobs ( not to mention thousands of e-mails in the public folder ) thats a lot of information to cache when it rearlly doesent need to.

The only option is to disable caching completly rendering the data unreadable Sad Most of the machines dont need caching at all as if there offline there is a problem with the server and/or network and theres more serious problems than their mail access. Unfortunatly the non caching version doesen't contain features such as grouping.
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

By default, KOFF synchronizes messages in the Inbox folder fully (headers and bodies) and partially in the rest of the email folders, which also includes public folders. In case of partial messages only the message headers and flags are synchronized. Users can change the synchronization mode on a per folder basis via: right-click on a folder -> Properties -> Folder Synchronization.
Contacts and Calendar data are synchronized fully.

The main reason why (at least) the message headers need to be synchronized is the speed of user operations such as scrolling, sorting, grouping and searching. The Outlook's MAPI interface is quite query intensive and doing these operations via a server would severely affect the user experience (i.e. why KOC was slow). Therefore KOFF does them only on the locally stored data. We believed having scrolling, searching, sorting and grouping available and very fast regardless of the connection status (online or offline) and regardless of the synchronization settings (full or partial) is important and will result in a pleasing user experience. That seemed like a small price to pay given storage is plentiful nowadays and the message headers are not increasing the size of the cache dramatically.

But the request not to sync large folder hierarchies while still having access to them is understandable. This could possibly be solved by adding an option not to sync messages that are older more than X days or a similar limiting condition. This could significantly reduce the number of message that would be synced. Would that be satisfactory or would you still prefer a non-caching online mode?
  •  
willowsv

Well I'm not saying caching is a bad idea and in certain situations it will benefit quite a few people in our office particularly those with laptops. There are however simply some things in the office that need to be kept in real-time. Our office isn't tech savvy and I can pinpoint at least 2 or 3 of our managers who wont know what offline mode is neither will they care Smile outlook either works or it doesn't and if it doesn't they phone me.

I can foresee managers sitting on trains or meetings forgetting to plug their data cards in ( its been known ) firing up outlook and assuming because they can see mail it is working. After they have added about 10 jobs to our diary and reassigned labor they get back to the office and everyone is completely oblivious to them and they then kick off. That comes back to me Smile I can foresee the same situation where one manager books engineer x to go somewhere another books engineer Y somewhere else another updates engineer z somewhere else and having a good old sync nightmare. that comes back to me Smile

Quite a lot of people in our office myself inc are extremely used to the "instant" feel of using Kerio under Outlook and this disappeared this morning when it took outlook 30s or so to update my inbox. People will get used to having their e-mails take slightly longer when they first open outlook but any more than a few seconds while its busy grinding away checking anything else and there going to be phoning me up saying "I cant get my mail" I'm not the happiest of person in the mornings and I will find saying "has the arrow disappeared from task-bar icon yet?" a tad annoying particularly when some suers are using Push E-Mail devices and KNOW there should be e-mail there.

Last night I installed KOFF and told it to only synchronize my inbox nothing else, no sub-folders, no publics. After about 30 Min's of grinding away it threw up nearly 150 errors for e-mails that are not even anywhere near my inbox. Similar to the below.

An error occurred while synchronizing the 'Diary/0000183d' message from the server.
Kerio Outlook Connector wasn't able to deliver this message to your Outlook account.

Please contact your system administrator. You can use Kerio WebMail to access the message.

Details:

Error: 8004011b.
Message: [SID = #public/7d2de259-820f-4acc-9dd8-8cc9c785786b/0000183d,
   ID={7C389592-9A16-4D09-80EA-F1CE5804E0F1},
   Folder: Diary ]

I must admit at 1am I just did a select all > delete because I wasn't in the mood but there is a possibility that it may have been trying to sync mapped folders ( no longer down in outlook unless you tell KOFF specifically to show them (a good thing) it could simply be something thats been missed in the "apply to all sub-folders" but when I find time later Ill do some more experiments as this may be a bug.

That aside if these errors appear people are again going to come to me. One thing ive noticed in my 2 years of working with Kerio is that with every update I usually have to re-index something. Usually its just one user complaining their missing x amounts of e-mails or outlook crashes on a certain folder.

These sync errors are probably just indexing errors but there appears to be no way (from what I can see) of forcing KMS to re-index everything ( short of searching for all index.fld files and deleting them en mass ) before deploying caching on anything other than my machine I would like to know everything on the server is indexed correctly so there are few errors as possible even if it means pulling the plug for a few minutes while it does it.
  •  
Nixs

I'm getting similar errors on some e-mail. So far, we are using KOC on 99% of our PC's. While there were some issues, it's been the smoothest upgrade so far. The server service crashed once but restarting it and we are good.

I like KOFF so far. We here just have to get past the learning curve. I use Thunderbird for the most part, so I can access my e-mails that KOFF errors out on. I can't see rolling out KOFF to the users until the issue of unable to sync a message is fixed.
  •  
88fingerslukee

KOFF has been awesome.

It's eliminated the speed issues that were present with the KOC 6.4.2 and earlier. We can finally roll out the server to our outside salesmen (as opposed to only the people on the LAN).

The upgrade was extremely smooth.

Previous Topic: Public Folder Names and Aliases
Next Topic: fail2ban fighting spam attacks
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:22:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00445 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.