Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Explain CalDAV? (Curious about 6.5's CalDAV feature for Outlook and Entourage)
  •  
ag4apple

Send a private message to this user
I understand what the new CalDAV feature brings to Mac users who use iCal, but can somebody explain to me what it provides for Outlook and Entourage users? Is there something different about calendaring in general for all clients using 6.5 versus 6.4? Any things to watch out for? Any great new features or capabilities?

Thanks.
  •  
My IT Indy

Caldav works great for iCal and Leopard. With Leopards iCal you can directly connect to the server and edit your calendar, or you can edit a delegated calendar if you're permissions are set. The changes are instantaneous. I can add an event in ical and watch the event appear on my windows mobile phone within seconds. No more waiting for iSync to get its lazy butt in gear to sync.

Entourage doesn't use Caldav so nothing will change with that.

Outlook and the KOFF uses webdav if I'm not mistaken so no changes with that either.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

CalDAV is a new calendaring protocol intended to provide an industry standard for universal access and exchange of calendaring data. Sort of like what IMAP is to the email world. So far the best client implementation has the new iCal 3.0.

However, most current systems (client apps and servers) use various proprietary ways for calendar data access (due to lack of a standard prior to CalDAV) and for exchanging calendar events they use specially formatted email messages (per iMip standard).

What Kerio did uniquely is to connect both worlds - old/proprietary and CalDAV. With Kerio MailServer it does not matter what calendaring client/protocol you use, be it Outlook, Entourage, iCal, Webmail or Windows Mobile w/Active Sync. You can access the same calendar account using any of these applications. Moreover, a user using Outlook can delegate his or her calendar to a user on iCal and vice versa. The same goes for meeting invitations and scheduling using the free/busy information.

Leopard server has a nice but pure CalDAV implementation. It means that all users have to use iCal 3.0. There is no way to share a calendar with an Outlook user or even send out a meeting invitation to a non-iCal user.
  •  
ag4apple

Thanks to both of you for the info . . . good stuff to know. I'm excited about seeing it in action.
Previous Topic: MAPI cannot load KOC.DLL using KOFF after 6.5 upgrade
Next Topic: Chaining/Referring OD to Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 11:24:25 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.