Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » 6.5 and Blackberry sync
  •  
rinzwind

Send a private message to this user
No, ain't possible. I already posted this very same question. Looks like the Blackberry tool doesn't use the API's. It looks like it tries to access PST's directly. Local ActiveSync works so ActiveSync is using the Outlook API's... But dump those blackberries and go for Windows Mobile or Nokia (Nokia Mail for Exchange) over the air (or inet over usb).
  •  
scottwilkins

The Samsung Blackjack II, a Windows Mobile device, is currently Consumer Reports highest rated Smartphone... Smile

At my employer, we have a couple Blackberry only types. So we had to use Notify's service. It's expensive! You could buy a couple Samsung Blackjack 2s a year for the cost of this service for one user. And if you wanted to use their service in-house, it's even more expensive than Kerio's KMS system per user on initial costs and yearly costs. Blackberries are extreme proprietary systems that are just too expensive to own. Stay away, IHMO.

I've put a handful of sales folks here on Blackjack 2's in the past couple of months. There was a little bit of growing pains for those who'd used Blackberries in the past. But the functionality of the WM platform quickly outweighed any learning curve they had to overcome. With the latest WM6, and very nice phones like the Blackjack 2 (which has an incredible battery life! 9.5 hours talk! Wow!) the WM platform is starting to out perform and out do most other smartphones.

If the WM platform is too complex for some folks (yeah, we got a few of those too...) then I'd suggest the Palm devices like the Treo 755 or Centro. Much more simple interface, and should sync fine with Kerio OTA just like WM smartphones. Only negative to these is battery life.

I personally use an AT&T Tilt (also known as HTC TyTN 2) I have a love/hate relationship with this phone. For syncing and PDA functions, it's hard to beat. Geeky as all get out too, so that turns me on. But I dislike the slide out keyboard as it's too mushy and harder to type on that it should be. And dialing is still troublesome with the touch screen dial pad. What I'm trying to get across is that make sure your users fully consider their needs in a smartphone. WM has 2 "types", a full PDA style like my Tilt, or a more phone centric type like the AT&T Blackjack 2, Verison Samsung Ace, or Dash from T-Mobile. Our company's owner tried a phone like mine, similar in the more PDA centric phone and hated it, now he's back to Blackberry and won't ever change again. If he'd tried something more like the Blackjack, then he'd probably be still on the WM platform, and my support for his phone would be cheaper and easier.

You can tell the difference in WM phones, in if it has a touch screen or not. If your user needs a phone more than a PDA, get a WM phone without a touch screen. If they prefer a PDA over a phone, look at the slide style (some slides don't have touch screen tough.)

Hope that helps...

[Updated on: Mon, 10 March 2008 14:13]

•  
sjourney

On the hosted Notify solution that you use, can they (Notify) just come in on the port you already have open for active sync? Or do they require different access?? I have a few users that really want to use Blackberry's. I have been fighting then for a while, but if they want to pay the 200 bucks a year to use one....

I would love to tell you how many phone users we have and all their different types of phones, but the simple truth is i have no idea. We have 632 licenses in use now on our server. There is no simple way for me to go in on the management console (besides clicking on every user) to find out if they have a phone or not. And there is no way to limit users on having phones or not. KERIO how about a ActiveSync Enabled column on the users tab??? Would this not be easy?? And how about a flag somewhere where admins could enable or disable the users ability to active sync???

•  
scottwilkins

I didn't have to change any special ports for Notify to work. I believe they actually come in via port 80, but they'll let you know if they can or can't connect. Setup was easy. They worked with Kerio to make this super easy for everyone.

They do push their support, and they are rather good which I guess helps to swallow the high costs. My Blackberry users call them for problems, not me. Which has it's good and bad. If they call me, I can't help them at all. But Notify's help is quick and easy to work with, so they usually don't mind calling them.

I agree on the Admin side improvements. There could be a LOT of improvements in Kerio's admin tools. I've seen better, and worse too. I used the mail system from Merak called IceWarp for a while, and LOVED their admin tool. Much more informative and more able to change the system in how it works, and much better rules system than Kerio. I miss that. But the collaboration side was unusable, so for the sake of my users we went with Kerio. Overall it was a good switch.
  •  
rinzwind

What are the prices of NotifyLink? The site isn't clear about this. I'm right that you have to order at their site? Never understood why Blackberries are popular. It's expensive and a Nokia (Symbian) or other (Windows Mobile) phone will do the job at much lower costs. May in the past when mobile internet wasn't readely available at affordable prices Blackberry was a nice option, but now?
  •  
ashish318

I tried to sign up for Notify link but didn't get any response to my mails and the form that I sent directly to Notify.

The stopgap solution that I am using at the moment for my BB is that I have split my domain; ie. I have temporarily deleted my user account and am forwarding any mail that comes to that specific account to a hosted BES and exchange account that i have taken on themessagecenter.com

It seems to be working pretty well for me at the moment. YMMV
  •  
scottwilkins

rinzwind wrote on Tue, 11 March 2008 09:35

What are the prices of NotifyLink? The site isn't clear about this. I'm right that you have to order at their site? Never understood why Blackberries are popular. It's expensive and a Nokia (Symbian) or other (Windows Mobile) phone will do the job at much lower costs. May in the past when mobile internet wasn't readely available at affordable prices Blackberry was a nice option, but now?

There's 2 costs for BB, that's what bugs me. First the cost of the data from your cell phone provider. This cost is usually identical no matter what platform you use. For instance, for AT&T in the U.S. I pay $40/month for unlimited data.

The second cost for BB is Notify's. Their costs are not set in stone. Though I've had trouble negotiating with them. Their service should be around $300/year for a single device. But you can negotiate down, especially if you service more devices with them.

What I'm upset about is the in-house setup for Notify. RIM offers an in-house server package for as little as $500 for 10 users (if I remember correctly). Notify wants $1000 server license up front, then a per-user up front, then yearly support for in-house server. That's got me really upset. For my hand-full of BB users, it's cost me $3500 (server cost included) to start and then $1000 a year for required support and licensing fees. BAD! I paid/pay less for Kerio for all my 85 users! There's something just flat out wrong with that.

Go Windows Mobile, or any other device that talks Active-Sync OTA, like Palm or a few others (soon iPhone) and there are no additional costs other than the monthly cell phone company data costs. Some providers have costs as little as $15/month for data. Much cheaper and easier solution IMHO.

Scott

[Updated on: Tue, 11 March 2008 14:56]

•  
scottwilkins

ashish318,

My contact for Notify:

Joe Quinata
Enterprise Sales Manager
Notify Technology
Direct: 4087777919
Fax: 4089967405
email: jquinata<_a.t_>notifycorp.com
www.notifycorp.com

•  
jledbett

Perhaps Kerio could create a client software for the blackberry to sync with their server. Much the the funambol or syncje clients for Blackberry. I am having to downgrade some users from KOFF to pop3 so they can sync their blackberry to Outlook. No way I am going to may more for the Notify service just to sync ota when all I am looking is to sync to Outlook. Blackberry's Internet mail service works just fine for push-email.

James
  •  
scottwilkins

jledbett wrote on Wed, 19 March 2008 17:47

Perhaps Kerio could create a client software for the blackberry to sync with their server. Much the the funambol or syncje clients for Blackberry. I am having to downgrade some users from KOFF to pop3 so they can sync their blackberry to Outlook. No way I am going to may more for the Notify service just to sync ota when all I am looking is to sync to Outlook. Blackberry's Internet mail service works just fine for push-email.

James

I tried that approach. It turns out that RIM is an EXTREMELY closed platform type of company. The only reason Notify can do what they do is a grandfather clause contract sort of thing. RIM doesn't want anyone into their Blackberries no matter what. You'd think that RIM would go the way Apple is with the iPhone and just put Activesync on the phone. But instead they want you to pay them to use the phone so they have additional income. (Notify pays RIM to do what they do...)

The Blackberry is an extremely closed system. If it were not for that, I'd recommend their phones because they are quite simple to use and work well. They used to be tough phones too, but the latest models are as fragile if not more so than any other phone on the market.

If your users don't like the complexity of Windows Mobile, suggest a Palm based phone, with the Palm OS, not WM OS. Palm also is a nice simple interface, but is open and does activesync so you win both ways.
  •  
scottwilkins

Hi guys,

After I posted my last message I started to think to myself "is the Blackberry really THAT closed of a system." Then it hit me to do a little searching. I found this:

http://www.handango.com/blackberry/PlatformProductDetail.jsp ?siteId=1181&osId=812&jid=85C572DC567374D172X3B42D66 F741C9&platformId=5&productType=2&productId=1879 89&sectionId=6515&catalog=40&topSectionId=6511

Through its Personal Information Manager (PIM), eWorks allows you to perform any MSŪ Outlook task on your handheld device. The four basic OutlookŪ functions - Calendar, Contacts, Memos and To Do's - are available here at your fingertips and can be synchronized seamlessly with MSŪ Outlook and MSŪ Exchange.

$80 US dollars...

Any takers? I'm going to e-mail the maker and get their input on OTA Exchange sync.

Scott
  •  
scottwilkins

Oops, they have a trail version. Now I just got to find a Blackberry to try it on. Unless someone else has the ability...

http://www.handango.com/blackberry/PlatformTrialDownload.jsp ?siteId=1181&osId=812&jid=85C572DC567374D172X3B42D66 F741C9&productId=187989&platformId=5
  •  
scottwilkins

OK, I was able to find a Blackberry that we could try this on, and I was not able to figure out how to make it work. I've e-mailed the company for eWorks and waiting for a reply. But, I'm not holding my breath.

I think the real solution is to push Kerio to support SyncML protocols. There are cheap SyncML clients for Blackberry that will sync all information. Plus this would make Kerio compatible with Symbian devices where SyncML is the standard. This would bring a lot of Sony/Ericsson and Nokia phones into full sync bliss with Kerio.

I'll start by submitting a feature request. If you think this is a good idea, be sure to submit one too.
  •  
pafilippi

Hello,

In our company, we are using blackberry and KOFF6.5, but we had to do some developement.

We make a software for synchronizing which:

Create a local pst
Copy everything from kerio store to the pst
Synchronize blackberry on this pst
Copy back everything from the pst to kerio store
close the pst

It s possible because with OLE command you can access to kerio store, which is not possible for the blackberry dekstop manager.

Bye
jledbett

But doesnt the Kerio Sync Client use SyncML? From the manual....

Kerio Synchronization Plug-in uses the SyncML protocol. SyncML is a versatile protocol used to synchronize data acquired at various types of devices, in any network and in any store.

Is it not standards based? Did Kerio do something to customize it for their sync plugin? I think this would be an acceptable solution for a lot mobile email users, there are a good number of free or inexpensive syncML clients for phones that don't have them built in.

James
Previous Topic: Problems with Outlook Message Reminders
Next Topic: secretary lost the right to edit public calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 18:03:48 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00563 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.