Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Suitable Server Platform
  •  
pchernoff

Send a private message to this user
We are considering purchasing Kerio Mailserver 6.5 for our office to replace EIMS. We are looking at replacing our mailserver hardware at the same time.

I know that we will be connecting the server to a RAID 5 (either Apple Xserve RAID or a Promise RAID) via Fibre, so this should be a much faster disk system then we have now. This is partly because of a few IMAP users who think nothing of having 1GB inboxes. So the question is, which server hardware.

We have around 130 e-mail accounts, most of them are POP and I try to keep our IMAP users to keep their inboxes down in size.

I can have available either a PowerMac Dual-G5 or a Dual-G4. How important is the processor speed with Kerio. I am used to mail servers needing a fast hard disk system more than a fast processor, but with Kerio Mailserver we would probably see heavy use of web mail from outside of the office and make use of its calendar and address book capabilities. Anti-virus and anti-spam are handled by Postini and our firewall.

So, is 2GHz G5 preferable over a 1GHz G4?

Does Kerio Mailserver take advantage of mulipel CPU's? (This server will be dedicated to Kerio Mailserver).
  •  
My IT Indy

Does Apple even make a Fiber card for a G4?

I would hook up the G5 as the G4 is older than dirt.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
nick dring

We run kms 6.5 with the built in av running on a mac mini g4 1.ghz with 512ram . It works fine. Its also our FTP server. However we only have about 10 pop accounts. It backs up to an external fw drive. With that many accounts I'd go for the g5 config.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 February 2008 14:42]

•  
pchernoff

I will go with the G5 since those are the recommendations. In that case, does it matter if it is a 1 or 2 processor G5. In both cases the processor is running at 2GHz. Are there any recommendations for the amount of RAM? The G5 I am thinking of using has 4GB.
  •  
winkelman

KMS is very CPU and RAM friendly (it hardly uses any of both). So 1 CPU and 1Gb are already more then enough. Adding faster/more, won't help performance.

What you want to focus on is disk subsystem speed. Make that as fast as possible. Preferred is a RAID-10 array of 15000RPM SCSI disks. Too much? Make it RAID-1 or 10000RPM disks. But don't go for RAID-5, as that has a relatively slow write-performance.

Fact is: KMS's speed depends by far on your disk subsystem speed. All the rest doesn't really matter much.
  •  
pchernoff

We have a single G5 that we can dedicate to the mail server.

Quote:

Preferred is a RAID-10 array of 15000RPM SCSI disks. Too much? Make it RAID-1 or 10000RPM disks. But don't go for RAID-5, as that has a relatively slow write-performance.

Buying a RAID-10 is way beyond our budget. We have already blown our computer budget with a new server room air conditioner. Since our policy (pushed by our lawyers) is to never backup e-mail (to protect our sources) a RAID-1 system is out of the question. I need a mail server disk system that can survive the lose of a drive.

I was planning on connecting the Kerio Mailserver to a new Promise RAID running RAID 6. It will be connected by fibre. We plan on having a good number of drives in it (and it will be shared with other servers), which should help on speed. This will be much faster than our current mail server drive.
  •  
elias

pchernoff wrote on Fri, 29 February 2008 07:39

Quote:

Preferred is a RAID-10 array of 15000RPM SCSI disks. Too much? Make it RAID-1 or 10000RPM disks. But don't go for RAID-5, as that has a relatively slow write-performance.

Buying a RAID-10 is way beyond our budget.
<SNIP>
I was planning on connecting the Kerio Mailserver to a new Promise RAID running RAID 6. It will be connected by fibre.

I have to echo Winkelman, you're going in the wrong direction. If you can afford a Promise array running RAID 6 on fibre, then the cost to use RAID 10 is zero. You might need to buy a few extra drives to get the capacity you need, but that cost is relatively negligible.

KMS performance is defined by the speed of your disks, so stick with a single processor and 1 GB of RAM and spend that money on a few extra drives in a RAID 10 array.

Elias

Previous Topic: Cannot create mailbox folders
Next Topic: DNS failure
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:47:08 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00436 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.