Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » 6.4.2 to 6.5 Upgrade in OS X
  •  
jlevesque

Send a private message to this user
I just spent an hour with Gary on the Phone (THX Gary) And we disable delayed ACKs on the server side and rebooted the server.

We'll see how it goes for the rest of the day.

FYI, disk read/write access is fine when doing a finder copy but is slows down considerably the read/write process is being driven by synchronizations. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

i.e. 1.12 MB/sec during idle-background synchronization
16.77 MB/sec during finder copy/write
15.19 MB/sec during finder copy/read

(quick and dirty test done using the Apple activity monitor)
  •  
winkelman

Well, SATA drives are not very fast and RAID-5 isn't either. Not to say that is your problem per se, but your disk subsystem is not very fast.

Copying a file may be fine, but having hundreds of simultaneous file operations is quite another thing. Something SCSI/SAS drives are much better at. Or 15000 RPM drives. Or RAID-10. Or best: all together.

Even so: you would have had performance problems earlier if it was the lack of disk speed. Clients didn't change (or the way the connect to KMS)? Simply updating KMS alone got you into trouble?
  •  
jlevesque

Clients didn't change (or the way the connect to KMS)? Simply updating KMS alone got you into trouble?

Well...I also had not rebooted the machine in ages. The problem might have been latent just waiting for a restart to appear...the upgrade itself might be completely irrelevant to the problem at hand, but I doubt it.
  •  
jlevesque

To CGilbert

Do you use the Open Directory architecture to create your user accounts or do you create them locally? Actually this question can be asked of all the above posters.

Presently, the slowness experienced on my server since the upgrade is due to Open Directory issues. Users created locally have no latency problems when synchronizing and logging onto the server, only those created through Open Directory.

I had no problems before I updated and Kerio engineers are aware of the problem.

I'd like to hear if the folks who upgraded without a hitch are using the Open Directory extension and if so did you install the new 6.5 Kerio Open Directory extension when you upgraded?

Thanks

James
  •  
hello

First,

Thank you all so much for the response to this post...it has been VERY helpful.

Second,

After reading thru your responses and doing a little more research, I did the upgrade for ONE of our 10 clients from v6.4.2 to v6.5. There were almost no issues to speak of and I am now testing the calDAV features. This customer has 12 email accounts and none of the users are connected to the Open Directory, they are all local. A few of my other customers ARE bound to the Open Directory but I have not upgraded them yet so I am unable to tell you if it will affect speeds or not. The speed for the aforementioned customer has not been affected by the upgrade.

I will keep you posted as to how the others go when I do the upgrades for them.

Thanks again for all the response.

Chris

•  
jlevesque

Thanks for keeping us posted as your installs happen, Chris.

As you can guess I am particularly interested in your clients using Open Directory Very Happy

Good luck on the remainder of your installs.

James
  •  
fleecy

Our Kerio 6.5 upgrade from 6.3.1 went well, and speed has been good for about 2 weeks.

Our server became very slow two days ago, and we rebooted the server at that time; since then, we've been experiencing speed issues re: Open Directory authentication.

Internal users are nice and quick, but our 20 or so OD users have to wait maybe 5-10 seconds before getting access to webmail or seeing Entourage or Outlook connect.

XServe G5, 2 GB RAM, XServe RAID storage, OS X 10.4.10, latest OD Connector for Kerio

[Updated on: Thu, 13 March 2008 16:46]

•  
jlevesque

Yep, same here Fleecy.

I have a production server that is also my OD master. My mail server refers to it. I had not installed the latest Kerio OD connector since I was still seeing all my information correctly and Kerio support told me it wasn't necessary. I guess from your experience, it is also not the cause of the problem.

I'm hoping for a solution from the Kerio developpers soon, otherwise I will have to migrate my 100 users locally.
  •  
rscurran

Are you using Open Directory Kerberos or PasswordServer authentication? We had many issues in the past prior to switching to Kerberos authentication.

Rob
  •  
jlevesque

I have always used Kerberos.
  •  
fleecy

We're on Kerberos here.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Delays in Kerberos authentication on Mac OS X are caused by wrong Kerberos configuration on the server and OD. The delay is due to DNS lookups for the hostname. This happens when the server hostname is not properly configured in DNS and added to OD domain.

KMS 6.5.0 use more secure options in Kerberos authentication than 6.3.x.
  •  
jlevesque

Well

I completely repaired my Open Directory structure yesterday. Upgraded the OpenDirectory Master to 10.4.11, applied the 6.5.0 Patch 1 OD Extension to it. DNS and rDNS lookup are responding correctly...but the problem remains!
Previous Topic: reset ical permissions?
Next Topic: Acces to webmail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 23:19:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00501 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.