Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » What extractor to unzip Kerio backup?
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
7-Zip (4.57 and earlier) cannot even open (some of the) files: "Can not open file <zip-file> as archive". Built-in Windows XP zip-support just chokes (it is obviously not designed to handle very large zips). WinRar (tried 3.71 and 3.61) is able to open the files and list the contents, but when trying to extract nothing happens.

Only WinZip (tried 11.1) is able to extract my Kerio backup zip-files. So WinZip it is, no problem, you'd think. But I don't like to pay for an unzipper Twisted Evil.

What programs do you use to successfully extract (parts of the) backup zips?

(I've set KMS to create 2Gb zip-files.)
  •  
sedell

Maybe it's a shortcoming/problem with 7-zip. I've used a few programs (not 7-zip though), and never had a problem extracting from a backup - the only exception is the horrid zip support that's built into Windows XP. It chokes on anything larger than a few MB, which is most of the files I need to extract from. Plus, it's so much harder to find files when they're all displayed as folders. I usually disable the built in zip support - it's much less hassle that way.

Anyhow... I'd try another unzip utility. If others can unzip it without issues, it might just be 7-zip.

Scott
  •  
sedell

Forgot to mention, I've never tried it with WinRAR either. Most other programs I've used can extract from rar files, so I've been covered there.

Scott
  •  
winkelman

sedell wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 17:27

I've used a few programs (not 7-zip though), and never had a problem extracting from a backup

One of them freeware? Can you name one?

I think there's something peculiar with the Kerio backup zip-files. Maybe it's just their size, but I think there's more to it. Maybe Kerio creates valid zip-files, but uses a 'uncommen' zip-flag not supported in several programs (such as 7-Zip and WinRar). Or maybe Kerio actually generates 'corrupt' zip-files that programs such as WinZip can still successfully decode, because they're just more robustly programmed.
  •  
sedell

Except for Winzip and PowerArchiver, the rest of the bunch were free. It's hard to remember names as I don't have the software on hand - it was usually whatever was available at the time before we standardized and started deploying our software. One was ZipCentral, another was FreeZip - no gui on this one, just explorer context menus.

They all got the job done. Aside from insuring it's clean software (no viruses, spyware, etc.), just watch out for the ones that only have context menus controlling them. Several I've seen only extract archives as a whole.

Scott
  •  
bjoer751

I'm normally using the built-in archiver in Total Commander.

But, just tested with 7-zip 4.57 on my backups. They are about 1.8GB and I can open, test and expand without problems.
  •  
winkelman

bjoer751 wrote on Tue, 11 March 2008 13:53

But, just tested with 7-zip 4.57 on my backups. They are about 1.8GB and I can open, test and expand without problems.

Thank you for trying. Does your backup consist of multiple zip-files? If so: did you try opening all of them? Or does it all fit in that single 1.8Gb zip?

For me, a backup of a single day consists of 8 zip-files (all slightly under 2Gb, except the last file, of course). Some of those 8 I can open with 7-Zip 4.57, others give me an error message upon opening.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2008 14:54]

•  
bjoer751

My backup is only one file so far.

But, are the ZIP files Kerio makes as backup really separate archives - or are they split ZIP files? I don't know if 7-zip supports split ZIP files yet. If they are split ZIP files, you are only supposed to open the first file - you can then access the contents of the other ZIP files through the first.
Just a thought.
  •  
bjoer751

So, I tried to split my backup as 0.5GB files - and opened the resulting 4 ZIP files with:
WinRAR 3.71
7-zip 4.57
Total Commander 7.01

They seem to be totally separate ZIP files, not split ZIP files as such.
I had no problems whatsoever opening, testing and extracting them - in either tool.

Have you checked the memory and disks on your server?
  •  
winkelman

Thanks for checking/testing further!

I'm sure it's not a disk or memory problem that's affecting me. It could be that 7-Zip is having other sorts of problems with (some of the) zip-files due to their size though.

I'll set KMS to make smaller zip's and test with that. (I doesn't matter if I have, say, 20 smaller zip's instead of 8 large ones.)

I'll report back here with my findings.
  •  
scottwilkins

Keep in mind Windows XP and Vista both have built in ZIP file openers. They work fine with Kerio's backups from my experience. WinRAR does have a 30 day eval if you need to try something else quickly. WinRAR used to be my favorite, but 7-zip does look quite good. They update often, so it's possible you may have run into a temp bug problem in 7-zip.
  •  
winkelman

scottwilkins wrote on Tue, 18 March 2008 14:54

Keep in mind Windows XP and Vista both have built in ZIP file openers. They work fine with Kerio's backups from my experience.

When using the built-in zip-support, Windows (at least XP, don't know about Vista) will extract the contents to the temporary files. So opening a 2Gb zip-file is not handled very, eh, efficient this way... In my experience, XP just chokes.
  •  
scottwilkins

winkelman wrote on Thu, 20 March 2008 11:40

scottwilkins wrote on Tue, 18 March 2008 14:54

Keep in mind Windows XP and Vista both have built in ZIP file openers. They work fine with Kerio's backups from my experience.

When using the built-in zip-support, Windows (at least XP, don't know about Vista) will extract the contents to the temporary files. So opening a 2Gb zip-file is not handled very, eh, efficient this way... In my experience, XP just chokes.

Not sure how you used it, but it should ask for a target directory when you unzip from the Windows built-in handler. Both in XP and in Vista. And it defaults to a directory named like the zip file in the directory where the zip is contained. It's odd you saw it go to the temp directory. Unless you unzipped from an e-mail attachment or web downloaded file, which of course starts in the temp directory before it goes anywhere else due to it's origin. That action takes a lot of folks by surprise. Vista and Office 2007 fixes that by always asking without assuming when something is first considered "temp".
  •  
winkelman

scottwilkins wrote on Thu, 20 March 2008 13:25

Not sure how you used it, but it should ask for a target directory when you unzip from the Windows built-in handler.

Ah, I see.

(By default) here Windows (tries) to just makes zip-files look like and behave like ordinary folders. Meaning you can just go into them by double-clicking and the zip file then behaves as if it were a normal folder, without explicitly having to unzip anything. Obviously this is just a facade, somewhere the files have to be unzipped. XP does that in the background to the temp location. You may see why this will not work very smoothly for very large zip-files. (I think you can force this behaviour by right-clicking a zip-file, 'Open With', 'Compressed (Zipped) folder'.

However, I could indeed just right-click the zip-file and explicitly ask for extraction using the built-in unzipper. Then it will happen as you descibe. That could go a lot better indeed, I will surely test this.
sedell

I think the problem is the built-in zip support treats archives as folders. There's a significant amount of processing required to "open" one and view it's contents. It's also significantly slower than third party archive utilities, requires much more CPU time/processing, and is prone to lockup or terminate during large archive operations. There's a reason why so many people disable the built-in zip support and continue to buy third party products to handle this.

Scott
Previous Topic: KMS 6.5.0 - Roadsync 3.003 Nokia E61i
Next Topic: Kerio Mailserver6.5 and PGP Universal
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:37:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00512 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.