Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server based filtering / filtering of outgoing messages
  •  
boblowski

Send a private message to this user
Perhaps I misunderstand something, so I hope somebody can enlighten me Smile

I understand filters added through the webmail interface are executed server side. But they are still executed on a per user base, aren't they? A filter only works for mail for that single user. Is that correct?

So how do I define filters that are executed server side for all incoming mail -- before the mail is delivered to a specific receiver? For example to route messages based on the contents of a certain header. Do I need to edit the 'filter.siv' file for this? And if so, where can I find the documentation?

And another related question: how do I filter outgoing messages? I tried to use the standard webmail filters for a specific user, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks & cheers, Bob
  •  
jmergy

Perhaps an example would be helpful -

The idea of a 'filter' is more of an inbound thing (i.e. something is coming to me and will go in my inbox, but if it has characteristic 'x' then do this).

Are you trying to do something like

When someone sends to a specific address, you want to change the subject or inhibit sending or redirect to someone else?

If so, my feeling would be that it would have to be something one could do via the kerioadmin on the server side. Haven't tested it, but I am pretty sure you can say that if a message arrives at the server (from an email client or another server) and it meets characteristic 'x' then do 'y'.

Again, an example of the kind of thing you are thinking about would be great
  •  
boblowski

Thanks for your reply.

jmergy wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 18:52

If so, my feeling would be that it would have to be something one could do via the kerioadmin on the server side. Haven't tested it, but I am pretty sure you can say that if a message arrives at the server (from an email client or another server) and it meets characteristic 'x' then do 'y'.

That is exactly what I am looking for. But the only filtering/rules kind of functionality I can find in the administration console or that is mentioned in the administration manual, is related to spam and anti-virus filtering. Not server based filtering for general use.

Quote:

Again, an example of the kind of thing you are thinking about would be great

We currently use a competing mail server (not Exchange BTW) where each incoming message with a unique project number in the subject header is automatically copied to a public IMAP folder for that specific project.

In the same way, outgoing messages with this unique project number in the subject header are copied back to the right public IMAP folders as well. This is for us a very easy way to create a complete email history visible for all project members. Everything is done by server based filters. For a new project I only need to add a single rule and the rest is handled automatically.

For a seperate workgroup I would now like the recreate a similar functionality in Kerio. But perhaps I do not understand Kerio's 'way of thinking' yet. Smile

I understand I could ask everybody to CC their messages to a seperate account (say projects<_a.t_>...) and then use the basic Kerio filters for that account to distribute the messages to shared folders, but that is not really what I am looking for. Like I said, I feel that I am overlooking something.

Thanks & cheers, Bob
  •  
winkelman

KMS doesn't have 'system wide' mail filters, only user based (if you don't count the spam filtering). So you would have to create a scheme that involves a user (be it 'projects') that filters the messages for you. The way to get the messages TO that users, is another matter indeed, cause the server itself distributes email solely based on the email address.

And outgoing messages are even harder to catch. There's no designed way to do this. The only way is to misuse the archiving function for this. It's the only means to catch outgoing messages. (Or indeed instruct people to (B)CC the 'projects-user.')
  •  
jledbett

You could use archive to email address and then have rules to sort email to public folders. Now, I have never used the archive to email address(I archive to a folder), but the only problem thast might arise is a circular archiving of messages. It should be pretty easy to test though.

James
  •  
boblowski

winkelman wrote on Thu, 06 March 2008 16:10

KMS doesn't have 'system wide' mail filters, only user based (if you don't count the spam filtering). So you would have to create a scheme that involves a user (be it 'projects') that filters the messages for you. The way to get the messages TO that users, is another matter indeed, cause the server itself distributes email solely based on the email address.

And outgoing messages are even harder to catch. There's no designed way to do this. The only way is to misuse the archiving function for this. It's the only means to catch outgoing messages. (Or indeed instruct people to (B)CC the 'projects-user.')

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Perhaps my error in thinking was that Kerio is more of an advanced webmail/groupware solution than a mailserver (don't flame me, that is not meant to be an insult, I truly like Kerio and what it offers Smile ).

I am now thinking if I can use an simple external mail server/relay to copy all incoming and outgoing messages to one single Kerio user (say 'projects') and use the standard per user filtering from there on.

Only disadvantage, if I also were to use Kerio's mail archiving function, then every message would be archived double, wouldn't it?

Thanks and cheers, Bob
  •  
boblowski

jledbett wrote on Thu, 06 March 2008 17:09

You could use archive to email address and then have rules to sort email to public folders. Now, I have never used the archive to email address(I archive to a folder), but the only problem thast might arise is a circular archiving of messages. It should be pretty easy to test though.

OK, that does sound like a usable solution. Like you said, it probably needs some testing, but I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for your help, Bob
  •  
badams7

this is a badly needed feature...hopefully they will add it soon (even if it is via a text file)

in postfix for example I can filter all mail coming through the server based on any criteria I want, can even BCC inbound/outbound email very easily based on certain criteria
  •  
badams7

I search the forums 6 months later and find my own post, guess that means we still don't have the feature Razz
  •  
sirhc

So, there is still no way to create any kind of "filter-rule" that works on public folders, yes?
It there yet a timeline when this feature will become available in kerio?
Thanks!
  •  
marook

Only option I have seen, is to attach an Alias to a Public folder, so mails to that alias get's delivered to the Public Folder you choose..

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
sirhc

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately that does not solve my problem since AFAIK aliases can only be used if the recipient email-address is different. In this case the recipient is the same for all messages.
Maybe we could use an external script accessing the folder via IMAP as an intermediate solution.

regards,
Christian Keck
Previous Topic: Processing web forms with Kerio Connect
Next Topic: Kerio Error by install
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 05:46:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00514 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.