Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iPhone 2.0 compatibility
  •  
jjprusk

Send a private message to this user
Will Kerio be compatible with iPhone v2.0 software for OTA sync? I assume that the ActiveSync support being built into the iPhone will work with Kerio's OTA synchronization support? Also, its not clear from the announcement if the iPhone will also support CalDav - I assume that it will, but it wasn't clear - and if so, this is another item that should be supported as well.
  •  
My IT Indy

I would assume you should use Activesync over local syncing to a machine.

There was no mention of OTA caldav support, although if you have activesync with remote-wipe and tasks/contacts as well as calendar why would you want to use caldav which is calendar only?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
jjprusk

I haven't used ActiveSync in a while, but at that time it was quite limited in that it could only sync. a single calendar - which is very limiting. Does ActiveSync now support multiple calendars and calendar groups? We use iCal with a number of public and private calendars and would like the ability to sync. a subset of those with an iPhone (don't need them all, but clearly more than 1 would be needed). I was hoping that the iPhone calendar app would be upgraded to support multiple calendars to be compatible with iCal (which is one of the better, if not best calendar I have used). Does ActiveSync support multiple mailboxes ala a tree like IMAP? Again, I haven't used ActiveSync in a while so please excuse my ignorance on what's transpired in the last couple of years.
  •  
scottwilkins

Apple's recent announcement for the iPhone is that it will sync all information OTA with any exchange server (Which Kerio is functionally an Exchange server to a phone.) Just like current Windows Mobile and Palm devices sync OTA. So all mail, contacts, calendar and tasks will be transportable between the Kerio server and your iPhone. And, just like the limitations of all PDA's and Smartphones, you can only sync the User's main contacts folder and calendar folder. No public folders can be synced.

Yep, it's a limitation that we all suffer from. I keep waiting for 3rd party software to fill this void, but that hasn't happened that I've seen yet either.
  •  
jjprusk

Well hopefully with the iPhone SDK and application distribution via iTunes, this will entire some developer to come up with a caldav-based, multi-calendar iPhone calendar application with robust functionality. It seems a shame to build such a great infrastructure and then use a brain-dead, proprietary protocol to connect it together...
  •  
gregcaulder

I wish Kerio would just give us a straight answer. Instead of beating us around the bush with this non-since.

I mean, how hard is it really to have them register to get the beta of the new firmware being released, and developer a sort-of Off line Connector to it with email Push (or combination of email-push, and offlince connector, or something)? Fow all we know they could have done this and are just waiting. But I don't see anyone else not telling the world their apps wont be ready when the app store launches.

I even contacted Kerio, but they told me they cant tell me anything.

Thanks for giving me hopes in the reliability/longevity in their product.

G
  •  
stevvot

I asked about this before we purchased Kerio a few weeks ago, and was told by someone in Technical Sales that they would easily have Activesync support for iPhone either at the 2.0 firmware launch or within 30 days of it's release. I assume they have already tested the beta 2.0 versions, but haven't been told that.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

gregcaulder wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 04:46

I wish Kerio would just give us a straight answer. Instead of beating us around the bush with this non-since.

I'm pretty sure the new iphone firmwares are under NDA. Therefore we cannot post any comment on this.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I mean, how hard is it really to have them register to get the beta of the new firmware being released, and developer a sort-of Off line Connector to it with email Push (or combination of email-push, and offlince connector, or something)? Fow all we know they could have done this and are just waiting. But I don't see anyone else not telling the world their apps wont be ready when the app store launches.

G

There is no reason to build another "connector" or similar application. KMS already supports ActiveSync which is used in 2.0 firmware.

We do have a 2.0 beta for a while and don't worry KMS will support all sync capabilities of new iPhone 2.0 firmware.
  •  
My IT Indy

jjprusk wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 09:04

Well hopefully with the iPhone SDK and application distribution via iTunes, this will entire some developer to come up with a caldav-based, multi-calendar iPhone calendar application with robust functionality. It seems a shame to build such a great infrastructure and then use a brain-dead, proprietary protocol to connect it together...

Unfortunately at this time it's "brain-dead" or nothing.

Check this out however for what's coming:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/snowleopard/

-
My IT Indy
  •  
gregcaulder

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 11:07

G

There is no reason to build another "connector" or similar application. KMS already supports ActiveSync which is used in 2.0 firmware.

We do have a 2.0 beta for a while and don't worry KMS will support all sync capabilities of new iPhone 2.0 firmware.

This is good to hear that KMS will support all sync capabilities of the new firmware. Thanks for giving me the scoop. I jsut wish that my company got approved to get the beta of the firmware to test for our infrastructure.
  •  
jshaw541

Misc notes and comments:

1.) Kerio can't legally comment on iPhone 2.0 functionality or how KMS will interface with it in the future, as they are bound by a non-disclosure agreement with Apple. To my knowledge, they are bound by this NDA until the day the 2.0 software is released.

2.) I'm not bound by the NDA and have done testing with the 2.0 firmware and KMS 6.5.1 and it works fantastically. Be aware that since the iPhone has no tasks functionality, that tasks will not be synced to/from the iPhone. However, your (multiple, color-coded) calendars, contacts, and email will sync.

3.) The Exchange Activesync protocol may be proprietary, but it's far from brain dead. Despite it coming from Microsoft, its implementations have worked really well, and it seems pretty dang solid.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
My IT Indy

Wait, there's no Tasks on the iPhone? What kind of crazy crap is that?

-
My IT Indy
  •  
shahn

Do we expect Kerio's ActiveSync to be able to remote wipe an iPhone?

I must confess I've never used the ActiveSync feature in Kerio so I don't know if it can even remote wipe an actual Windows Mobile device.
rinzwind

You can wipe Windows Mobile devices (right click on user->status/mobile devices). Don't know if the iPhone implements this feature.

BTW a NDA doesn't restrict you from telling whether or not you're supporting the device.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 June 2008 09:42]

Previous Topic: Mail Merge Contacts into Word?
Next Topic: KMS only runs as root ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 14:09:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00537 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.