Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mac OS X Server upgrade - how to move Kerio settings
  •  
silver02suby

Send a private message to this user
We are running a Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 currently and are going to move to 10.5.x Leopard Server. I want to move all my settings for Kerio 6.5.0. I presume all I need are the files located in /usr/local/kerio/mailserver ? Back them up, install the new OS, re-install the Kerio 6.5.0 package fresh, then drop the backed-up files in place?

My mail storage is all on a hardware RAID-5 which wont be touched, nor will paths change, so my process should be simple, yeah?

Thanks guys Smile

- Bill

•  
My IT Indy

You should be good. I did need to re-install the base license and make sure DNS matched before KMS was happy once I migrated.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
silver02suby

That's fine. Should I skip the license file then, just re-enter by hand then drop the settings files in? Or install, drop the files in, then launch? I hate getting things out of order Smile
  •  
ahoutzer

I have a very similar situation, except just using MacOS X client OS. For our small organization, we are running a MacMini with the latest version of KMS. The store for KMS is on an external RAID drive that should not be affected by any OS upgrade. The MacMini is running MacOS X 10.4.11 and I want to upgrade to MacOS X 10.5.2 .

Question: Can I just run the upgrade in place (not reformatting, not doing an Archive-and-install) without needing to back up KMS and re-install it and restore anything?

Yes, of course, back-ups are good and are done regularly, but I'm concerned about whether it is a known issue that the KMS installation must be reinstalled after the OS upgrade and/or some KMS configuration files must be restored, or can I expect it to just work?

Thanks.
  •  
silver02suby

I wouldn't expect an upgrade to work, nor would I want to try. Anytime Apple makes a commercial release of Mac OS X (10.4, 10.5, etc) - it's always recommended to perform an archive/install, preserving users and settings. Patching Unix OS files versus laying down brand new ones....

I just wiped our server's OS drive after backing up the one folder of KMS files... reinstalled on a clean drive, "installed" KMS from the download, then dropped the folder of settings back in, and immediately restarted. KMS came right up, all settings, files, users, reg keys, just worked. YMMV - but I was thrilled with the experience.

I would archive and install, run all Mac OS X updates, install KMS, drop those files back in place of the new ones, restart, and move on. Smile

/usr/local/kerio/mailserver (the magic folder in question)

Just my thoughts.

- BIll

•  
sonofcolin

I would not upgrade a server running 10.4.11 to 10.5.2 (mac mini).
10.4.11 is rock solid with KMS. If it isn't broke.........
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

KMS is using different startup scripts on Leopard (LaunchDaemon instead of SystemStarter) therefore it is necessary to remove old scripts used by Tiger (Panther) and re-install KMS after server upgrade. This is done automatically by KMS 6.5.0 installer on Leopard.
Also, when upgrading Open Directory server, re-installation of OD Extension is required as Leopard use quite different OD configuration.

I did an upgrade to Leopard on testing server and I found several problems. The main problem was that Mac lost binding to Active Directory domain after upgrade and Kerberos authentication stopped working. It was necessary to re-bind it again in Directory Services.
Previous Topic: stats.dat Not Updating
Next Topic: Howto install Kerio mailserver on Ubuntu/Debian
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 11:59:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00469 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.