Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New to Kerio - love it but two features we need are missing
  •  
Linux4Life

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I just installed Kerio and have migrated our users over from an Exchange2k server. I am impressed with the feature set and webmail, but there are two missing features that are hurting us:

1) We need an ability to remove read access for certain users for certain public folders. I am correct that is not currently possible?

In our case, we have extra sensitive information that we only want the partners to have access to instead of every employee.

Is there a work around? Can we create another public folder, or a create a private folder that can be shared? We really need a solution to this...

2) Including the POP downloader inside Kerio is greatly appreciated. It would be even more helpful if there were the "keep messages on server / delete after x days" options that other POP downloaders have.

In our case, we keep our Kerio behind a firewall and do not want to open any ports - so we use our ISP's webmail to read email when away from the office or to download at home. As a workaround, I have to instead at our ISP create additional POP accounts for each user solely for Kerio's use and alias the main accounts to copy emails there.

Anyway, we are going to purchase Kerio and love it so far, just thought I'd give some feedback on two features that would make our lives much easier, and I would think others as well. The public folder read permission thing is especially a problem for us.

Thanks
John
  •  
Linux4Life

Ah, I guess I'm an idiot as it is possible to remove user read access from folders after all.

I tried and failed to do this in Outlook or webmail until I did this: edited the users I wanted to remove and unchecked "has administrative access to public folders".

When they have administrative access, webmail pretends to let you delete them but they come right back.

I can live with the POP downloader limitation. I am definitely a Kerio convert now...
  •  
tqlAdmin

Be interested to hear how you blocked the "read access" of specific users. At the moment the only options I see are "Administrator", "Editor" and "Reader" ... no "None" option?

[Updated on: Wed, 19 March 2008 15:27]

•  
Linux4Life

Sure. I'll explicitly state each step in case a new kerio user stumbles upon this thread.

1) Open Administrator Console
2) Go to Domain Settings -> Users
3) Edit a user you want to be able to remove read access
4) Click the "Rights" tab
5) Uncheck "the user has administrator rights to public folders"
6) Click OK, and don't forget to click "apply" at the bottom right (That has gotten me 10 times already)

Now you can remove the user's permission to view a folder with either Outlook or the webmail. Go to the Folder Sharing / Access Rights screen for that public folder, and select the user and remove them.

Kerio could have done a better job here - why is this not mentioned in chapter 23 "public folders" of the Administrator guide? Why is no error given when trying to remove a user's permissions from a folder in webmail if they have administrator rights (so can't be deleted and instead pop right back after deleting)? Maybe this is default behavior for exchange, but I didn't know that...
  •  
tqlAdmin

Bugger was hoping you weren't going to say that Sad

I suspect the above only works if you explicitly identify each individual user in the folders permissions. We have several of ours with an "All users from <domain>.XXX" which is our default and I need to explicitly exclude particular users - this unfortunately does not seem possible. System currently only allows overriding of permissions by actually assigning a privilege, not an exclusion.

Apologies for the waffle there ...
  •  
tqlAdmin

*sigh* brain engaged

Fixed it via simple implementation of "groups" rather than "by domain".

Apologies for time wasting Embarassed
  •  
Linux4Life

No problem, glad I could help. Looks like an updated thread on this was needed as the only one I could find was from two years ago and didn't work on the new version.

Yeah I will switch to using groups for folder permissions if we grow past our five employees. Even with only 5 users, we somehow manage to have 40 GB of emails!

[Updated on: Wed, 19 March 2008 17:55]

•  
scottwilkins

I wonder if using quotas might help with the storage question for POP users with save on server options? If it uses a FIFO method of quota management, that seems like it would be a very good option. But I'm afriad it might just stop reception of e-mail instead. Might be worth trying out to see what happens.
  •  
ptireland

Here's a feature I would like to see installed. We've switched from one domain to another. Specifically we went from a .net domain to a .com domain.

I've setup a Kerio server and added both domains. I only created users on the .com domain and I created an alias for each user on the .net domain that forwards to the new email address.

What I want is when someone email's an old address and it is forwarded to the new one via the alias, they sender should get an autoresponse from the server telling them the new email address.

This way we can kill the old domain all together in 6 months. Also, for pop users, I too would like a method of clearing off the server of old messages, and of automatically pruning accounts that have not been used for a certain amount of time.
  •  
scottwilkins

ptireland wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 06:26

Here's a feature I would like to see installed. We've switched from one domain to another. Specifically we went from a .net domain to a .com domain.

I've setup a Kerio server and added both domains. I only created users on the .com domain and I created an alias for each user on the .net domain that forwards to the new email address.

What I want is when someone email's an old address and it is forwarded to the new one via the alias, they sender should get an autoresponse from the server telling them the new email address.

This way we can kill the old domain all together in 6 months. Also, for pop users, I too would like a method of clearing off the server of old messages, and of automatically pruning accounts that have not been used for a certain amount of time.

Rules in general are lacking in Kerio. So I too hope they do some more on the server side for global rules, other than just spam or virus stuff. Some folks use a front end e-mail tool, but that seems overkill to me. You might be able to accomplish this in the end-user rules on Outlook at least.
  •  
sedell

ptireland wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 00:26

You may be able to accomplish this, but it might put you over your licensed user count if you don't have enough to spare. Instead of creating an alias on the old domain, create an account. Set it up to forward mail to the new address, and deliver to the local mailbox. Log into the old account, and set up a rule to send an auto reply, then delete the message.

Another option instead of two domains is to add domain.net as an alias to domain.com in the domain settings screen. It won't send an auto response, but it'll save the time of creating aliases. Users will get mail addressed to user<_a.t_>domain.net at user<_a.t_>domain.com, but all outgoing mail will be from the .com domain.

Scott
  •  
ptireland

sedell wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 05:37

ptireland wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 00:26

You may be able to accomplish this, but it might put you over your licensed user count if you don't have enough to spare. Instead of creating an alias on the old domain, create an account. Set it up to forward mail to the new address, and deliver to the local mailbox. Log into the old account, and set up a rule to send an auto reply, then delete the message.

Another option instead of two domains is to add domain.net as an alias to domain.com in the domain settings screen. It won't send an auto response, but it'll save the time of creating aliases. Users will get mail addressed to user<_a.t_>domain.net at user<_a.t_>domain.com, but all outgoing mail will be from the .com domain.

I don't want to have to use double the number of licenses to accomplish this. I already created all of the aliases for the old accounts because the new accounts have a new naming convention. The old admin had people using <firstname><first letter of the last name>. I'm doing the same thing as most other businesses my size and using <first letter of the first name><full last name>. Since the account names don't line up, I can't do a normal domain alias. I had to use user aliases.

I wish I could put the aliases in a group and say anyone who sends to an address in this group will get an auto-reply. I shouldn't have to waste licenses for something like that.

•  
sedell

I agree you shouldn't have to use licenses, but it's a workaround for an issue you have now.

I just had another thought - have all the aliases on the .net domain delivered to one mailbox that just does auto-replies. It's still a license, but only one. You could set up a series of rules to handle it all. One per user I would think.

if recipient = testu<_a.t_>domain.net
forward to tuser<_a.t_>domain.com
send an automated reply

Don't use a 'stop processing more rules' action. Let it fall all the way through the list of filters, in case a message is addressed to more than one user it should fall into more than one filter. Then at the end of the list you could have a 'for all messages discard' rule, or just let the mail drop into the mailbox so you could check on it later.

You might need something to send out a canned message to mail without a valid e-mail in the To or CC line for things like BCC mail. Not sure how that would work though. You might have to edit the sieve script directly to get to some more advanced features to handle that.

Scott
  •  
ptireland

I wouldn't mind using only 1 license to do the job, but if I have all of the aliases deliver to 1 user account, how can I get them to also go to the new account...hmmm

Also, I've never setup server rules on a Kerio before. Is that the exact verbage one would use to accomplish sending it to the new account?
sedell

There's a rules wizard in webmail and through KOC that would handle most of it - creating the rules for each e-mail address, anyhow. You can also edit the sieve script directly to do more complex things, but that's a bit beyond my knowledge at the moment.

Scott
Previous Topic: How to Install latest 0.92 Clamav on KMS on fedore core 6?
Next Topic: Script to setup email profile
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:26:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00520 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.