Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Time Machine as a backup? (Issues or problems)
  •  
NStrickland

Send a private message to this user
I am thinking about migrating a customer from M-SExChange to KMS. They would like to have some redundancies and backups that they don't have to mess with. I was thinking about getting them a "maxed" out Mini with an external drive big enough to do many weeks worth of back-ups and archives (I love that feature) as well as turning on Time Machine and backing up the unit using the point in time functions of that as well. Has anyone tried this, and have they had any problems with it? I would love to know that I could build a machine that could do all that on the fly and for under $2000 for 60 users. Nothing like making all that money they sank into MS's problem child look like a waste Twisted Evil .
  •  
My IT Indy

If you're going to get a mini + FW drive then I would recommend using the FW drive as the boot/mailstore drive and use the internal drive for backups. The FW drive will be a LOT faster than the slow laptop drive in the mini.

Time Machine doesn't do well with databases driven entities, such as Entourage, virtual machines, or any programs/servers that have an open data store. TM will back the files up, but they will more than likely be useless to use to restore.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
NStrickland

That is what I was thinking, but one can always hope that the magic of Jobs could have solved that little issue.

Oh well. I usually "upgrade" the mini with a faster drive than the one that it ships with. I figure that the cost of the mini isn't high enough to worry about the warranty.

I have KMS working on a Mini for a different customer with 7 users, and it is WAY faster than the purpose built and purchased Dell running Exchange. Plus, I don't have those pesky "corrupted database" issues that I was getting from having 3 GB mailboxes.

Thank you again for the input.

Nat
  •  
mdhmi

Or have Kerio backup one day locally each day (to create all the zip files) and then have TimeMachine back those up externally.
Previous Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.5 || Entourage 2004 SP2 || Private Calendar default not syncing
Next Topic: Mailing list approval on blackberry
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 21:23:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00397 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.