Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » [Help!] Running my own mail server for multiple websites [and phpbb] ([Help!] Running my own mail server for multiple websites [and phpbb])
  •  
link470

Send a private message to this user
Hello!

I've recently aquired a copy of Kerio Mail Server 6. I run a few websites here at home, and I'd like them to have a mail server. For example, I run a phpbb forum on the main website. That phpbb forum needs an SMTP server and I'd like to use Kerio if I can since I have it for sending out mass emails to members and activation emails to new members.

Now, I buy my domain name through GoDaddy, would it be best to run a local DNS server and configure MX records here? I've heard that's the best way to go.

What I'd also like to do, is use the domain names I've got, and have email addresses at them and host the mail boxes here. I personally have no idea how to do this or if it's possible.

If I could get some help as a first time user on this that would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for reading in advance, and if you'd like more information on my setup simply reply to the thread and I'll add it. Thanks again!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2008 11:45]

•  
link470

Anyone? I'd like to get the server running as soon as I can.

Thanks!
  •  
My IT Indy

You will need global MX records if you want people to respond to your emails. Set up the MX records at GoDaddy.

You can use this as your primary email server AND host extra domains if you want to.

Does that answer your questions?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
link470

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just using the built in DNS Total Control module from GoDaddy right now and created MX records for mail.nintendoconnection.net [the site I'm trying to make work]. mail.nintendoconnection.net is what they recommended I use even though it points to <_a.t_> [host] and the A record <_a.t_> points to my home IP address so it's really going to the exact same IP cause I'm doing all of this off one IP address.

Anyway what I have as of now, is a record that says the mail server is at my place. The exact record is MX Host goes to mail.nintendoconnection.net, and then I have a cname for mail that points to <_a.t_>, and an A record that of course makes <_a.t_> point to my IP. Also, I've set the Host Name in Kerio to mail.nintendoconnection.net, and the company domain to nintendoconnection.net. In the end, when I telnet mail.nintendoconnection.net on port 25, I get a lovely reply from Kerio saying it's ready. So that's all good.

Only problem I'm having, is I tried using the built in mass email function within phpbb on the forums to send a mass email [although just to myself to my Gmail account for testing], using mail.nintendoconnection.net as the SMTP address, username and password [which helped me know it was the correct one because I entered a wrong one on purpose and it said login failed for SMTP authentication, I entered the correct one and it said message sent]. I then check the "Message Queue" on the Kerio mail server interface itself, and I see the message in the queue. Did I ever receive the test email? Yes, but 4 hours later. The logs said that it kept having error 4.4.1 Cannot connect to remote host. At first I thought maybe the remote host doesn't like this server and isn't accepting any mail for it. So I double checked my SPF mail security records in GoDaddy, sure enough I had one.

v=spf1 a mx mx:mail.nintendoconnection.net ~all <<< was the text value I saw.

As far as I know, everything LOOKS right. Is there something obvious I forgot to do? The message eventually did send, I received it to my gmail address, but again, it took 4 hours. I tried sending 3 other test emails, and none have gone yet, they're still in the queue. [Been about 9 hours]. However if I use ANY other email, I can send an email to any Kerio email addresss <_a.t_>nintendoconnection.net perfectly and the server receives it instantly and puts it in the correct box. Sending just seems to be the issue. 4.4.1 Cannot connect to remote host. Thanks!
  •  
My IT Indy

If you're a residential address sending massive amounts of emails out you might get this error. You might consider relaying through your ISP's smtp server or getting a MX relay account from dyndns.com.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
link470

Thanks for your reply.

I ended up phoning my ISP and found out that indeed they did add a port 25 block recently.

From what you know, is there another easy way to make my mail server send to a different port that has no relay restrictions? I know port 587 is out there, but I'm unsure how to configure it.

Port 25 works fine inbound to my mailserver, but my mail server can't send to other recipients such as anyone on google, yahoo, hotmail etc. but it receives the request and gets added to the queue no matter where you are sending a request to MY mail server. For example, a friend of mine, who has an email address on my server <_a.t_> my domain, sent an email through the Kerio webbased console and through his mail client, both sent to the mail server and got added to the queue, and he can receive mail perfectly to his new <_a.t_> domain account. The message just never gets sent from the queue.

I tried just going to "Services" within the administration console where you can start/stop/restart/change port numbers of each service and I changed the port number of the SMTP server to 587. So of course in this situation I'd need to change my clients to use port 587, not a problem, that gets the mail to the mail server to be sent, but does that mean the SMTP server within Kerio uses port 587 to send out to the world to, therefore bypassing any ISP block on 25? If so, do the receiving mail servers like yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc. understand the request?

Thanks for helping me understand. Your replies have been much appreciated.
  •  
My IT Indy

I think I understand what you want. If you go into the SMTP Server->SMTP delivery options on your server you can specify a host to relay through, you can also change the port # there as well.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: BCC outgoing mail not in archive folders
Next Topic: Kerio Webmail required enhancements
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 09:40:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00539 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.