Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving old mails incl. folder structure (Is there a tool/way to archive old EMLs keeping the folder structure?)
  •  
silver.mab

Send a private message to this user
We have KMS 6.5 running on a Linux box. All users are using the server through KOCs or via Web-I/F, so all mails are kept on the server.

We're now looking for a solution to archive old mails of all users (10+ GiB) keeping the mails searchable and also keeping the folder structure. (Attachments should be detached and the mails maybe stored in HTML.)

Looking at the mailserver's files, there already is everything sorted into folders and each mail is an .eml file. But I didn't want to mess around with them as I don't know how the KMS will react to missing files.

So the questions is: Is there any tool or script which works on the KMS and archives old mails the way I described (or similar)?

Thanks in advance.
  •  
rex.withers

Hi there, I have the same issue did you have any luck with this?
  •  
sedell

I haven't had any luck with it either. We wanted to set up Auto Archiving in Outlook to accomplish this, but the Outlook archiving features doesn't work properly with KOC. I posted a support ticket about it some time ago, and was told it wasn't supported. When KOFF came out, I tested archiving with KOFF hoping that would work, but ran into similar issues I had with KOC.

Scott
  •  
rex.withers

OK thanks, I'm going to put in a support ticket and another Forum post because if I cant resolve this issues i'm going to have to abandon Kerio.

Ill let you know if I come up with anything.
  •  
My IT Indy

use rsync to copy the mailstore folder.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
rex.withers

OK, interesting so what you are saying is use a "tool" to move the phisical mail files out of the folders on the server?

I had a play with this on a trial server but created a few problems, some of the files under the users folder are self explanatory (mail) but some appear to be index files of some sort is there documentation of how the storage works (and how I can get the mail back again if need be)

(I'm using windows by the way but that shouldn't make any difference to the concept)
  •  
rex.withers

I found this:

http://aplawrence.com/Kerio/fixing-large-mailboxes.html

...with Kerio, the solution is pretty simple. Stop the mailserver. That's usually done with the Kerio Engine Monitor, though on Linux you can do it with "/etc/init.d/keriomailserver stop". Now rename the oversized directories to something else. You might rename INBOX as "Inbox200805", for example. Do the same for large Deleted Items and Junk mail folders. Restart the server; new mail will cause Kerio to automatically create any folders it needs (INBOX, etc.), but they will now be small and quickly scanned.

It's that easy, and it can really improve performance.

As with anything like this, be sure to have adequate backups before implementing this procedure...

I haven't tested it any comments?
  •  
rex.withers

I think I'm going to go with this product: http://www.mailstore.com/

It does everything required and can connect to Kerio mail server via IMAP independent of the client and archive and delete the old mail from the mailbox. I have tested it with 40,000 message's on one users account which isn't huge amount but it performed well on an old dualcore p4 with 512mb and a single IDE HDD.

The thing is that not all users will hit it for an old message at once so performance should be good.

Also a bonus you can import from PST to the archive directly great for those 1.8gb PST files that I have from before Kerio.
  •  
tek_san

<_a.t_>rex.withers
Does this tool also backup the folderstructure or plain mails??
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
silver.mab

tek_san wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 11:40

Does this tool also backup the folderstructure or plain mails??

Just plain mails, AFAIR.

As Inboxer.com isn't replying to my RFPs I think I'll write a simple copy/compress/grep-tool for our company by myself.
  •  
rex.withers

It does with outlook (see screen shot of my outlook backup http://www.digitalwelcomemat.com/screen.jpg) cant see why it shouldn't with Kerio but you would need to check. However some of the special folders don't back up. You have to set it to ignore these folders.
  •  
silver.mab

rex.withers wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 13:10

It does with outlook (see screen shot of my outlook backup http://www.digitalwelcomemat.com/screen.jpg) cant see why it shouldn't with Kerio but you would need to check. However some of the special folders don't back up. You have to set it to ignore these folders.

Ah, now I remember. For using it with Kerio, you have to set up a mail-forwarding to the MailStore-server. This way, MailStore can't know in which folder to put the received mail - so everything goes into one big folder.

The only way to keep folders would be to manually import everyone's Outlook-PST every few days (weeks?).

There's no way for MailStore to get Kerio's folder structure directly.
  •  
rex.withers

Hmm, the approach that I took was to allow the mail store product to connect directly to Kerio via IMAP and churn away scheduled after hours on each users account digesting the old mail. I assume that in this situation the mail folders are retained and the mailstore guys confirmed this but I haven't tested it yet myself.
  •  
tek_san

I would expect that only by using the exchange connection you would be able to maintain the folder structure.
If I understood the description by using the IMAP connection you would need a mailforwarder (available for free) and by that this solution would not be able to keep the folder structure.
And another thing to worry about: Does it keep your tasks, calendars and addresses?

regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
rex.withers

Somewhat delayed response but Mailstore does keep the folder structure from Kerio.

One last thing bare in mind there isn't a mac version
Previous Topic: Kerio CalDAV
Next Topic: iCal Private entries !
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:52:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00507 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.