Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Virtualizing the KMS
  •  
jslh

Send a private message to this user
Hi

I understand that has a pre-built "Kerio MailServer VMware Virtual Appliance".

Has anyone really used it on production? If you do, where does the mail storage reside? Within the VM itself or the host machine?

If it is within the VM, does it affect the overall KMS performance?

Coz we are thinking of moving the KMS into VMware Server v1.05 but not sure the mail storage should be within the VM machine or out of the VM machine as KMS does not support any path which is not local!

Thanks.
  •  
Nixs

While we have an ESX cluster, we do not run Kerio on that. It has it's own dedicated server as it predates the cluster.

However, one option is to have the VMWare host map drives via iSCSI (or Fibre Channel/InfiniBand et al) to an external SAN. Within the VMWare guest (where Kerio is virtualized) it would appear to be a local drive, and you'd have the performance of of a high speed SAN.

So VMWare server has local hard drive space to boot, but then all guests are on the SAN.

That's how our ESX cluster is configured. One thing which is nice with this setup is we can move most guests from one physical server to another without the users noticing. I'd imaging Kerio would handle that well. Zenworks 6.5 is the only thing we have that doesn't. We've added processors and RAM to physical servers during the day with this setup, no downtime for the servers.

•  
jslh

Hi Nixs,

Thank you for sharing. What about the VMWare Server v1.05 and running off the RAID 1 within the local machine with Windows Server 2003? Coz, this would be the setup environment would be!

We intend to setup the KMS within the VMware Server v1.05 running Windows Server Web Edition / XP Pro as a guest. While placing the data over the VMware Share folder and map it as a "D:" drive.

Btw, we're talking about < 50 users. 95% on Webmail and probably 1 or 2 on KOC / KOFF.

Thought the initial testing seems to be running except in the long run, we don't know!

Hopefully could get more sharing from everyone!

Regards
  •  
Nixs

So you are going with the free VMWare server and you are going to run Kerio side by side in the host? Outside of VMWare? What is the XP guest for?

Or did you mean to say that you will have Kerio installed in the XP Guest?

The real question is how many e-mails (quantity/store size) do you have? One e-mail account with 500GB and a million e-mails would still hit your server hard. KOFF takes some of the load off the server as the e-mail is cached locally. KOC adds overhead. Webmail has limited features (No body searching) so the overhead is less than KOC.

As everyone always says, make sure you put your money in the Hard drive subsystem. Get the fastest drives you can. 15000k RPM, RAID 1 or better (not RAID5), lots of RAM on the controller -- those things are where you will see the performance gains.

If you have 50 users with 100 e-mails each, you would likely not see performance issues.
  •  
scottwilkins

If it were me, I'd never run any e-mail server on anything but dedicated hardware. Virtual servers are great for small server apps that just don't need the full machine to run. E-mail ,which includes major engines for virus scanning and spam filtering, requiring lots of power, is not one of those types of applications, IMHO.

That is unless you have an installation of maybe only a dozen users, then it might be worth it.
  •  
winkelman

Well, it's another debate, but virutlization is not taking up so much overhead to become a problem. In short: take into consideration the virtulization overhead and then buy the server hardware able to run it all. No problem at all, just a little bit more expensive. But that extra cost cought be well spent if the robustness and utilisation of your server farm goes up and maintenance cost goes down. You may end up with a better platform for less overall cost...

[Updated on: Fri, 04 April 2008 19:13]

•  
rusbyr

I have A dell 2650 with A raid 5 configuration acting as the Host and Hosting a Windows 2003 Guest mail KMS server. So far I have had no issues and the Store is in the VM. Replication takes care of the mailbackup off of the VM. Other than that I have seen no performance issue that I can think off.
Previous Topic: Microsoft Exchange --> Kerio on Open Directory Migration
Next Topic: How to publish global address lists stored in OpenLDAP to Kerio contacts
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 11:28:01 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00760 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.