Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Search in Webmail other than subject
  •  
rblock

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

if I call the search by clicking at the magnifier I'm just able to search in the subject field. Is this a configuration problem of my server or works it as designed? If it works as designed I would be interested in the reason. Smile

And is there any posibility to search inside the whole folder if it has more than one sites. At me it only searches the displayed messages. Sad

Asking greetings

Reiner
--
Reiner Block
  •  
winkelman

You can specify where you want the search to search. You can ask it to search in all of your folders, or some.

What you cannot do is search for words the message body. Only for words in the subject, or messages of a certain date, size, from or to a certain person, etc.
  •  
rblock

And that's the problem, why it is not possible to search in the message body? Because the search script is, of course, running on the server and normally U should have an object model of a message. This object model should have a method to return if a given field holds or contains a given value.

But's just my two pennies worth of about twenty years experience in software development. Wink

Experienced greetings

Reiner
--
Reiner Block
  •  
winkelman

'Body-searching': a much requested feature.

Kerio states (at least that's what you can read between the lines if you've been on this forum long enough) they don't offer this functionality because it would place too much (uncontrolable) load on the server.

Kerio doesn't use a database for storing all messages, but simply keeps them as seperate files in the server's filesystem. This certainly has benefits, but a downside is that implementing things like searching is a lot more problematic.

The specifics are obviously only known to Kerio and its developers, but this is the way it is now.
  •  
rblock

OK, but should this not to be a decision of the Administrator to en- or disable such a feature if there is such a feature?

For small business like mine it would be no problem or if your server is a high end machine, isn't it?

Suggesting greetings

Reiner
--
Reiner Block
  •  
winkelman

rblock wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 19:11

OK, but should this not to be a decision of the Administrator to en- or disable such a feature if there is such a feature?

For small business like mine it would be no problem or if your server is a high end machine, isn't it?

Suggesting greetings

Well, perhaps you're right. But as long as Kerio doesn't agree, it will get you nowhere Twisted Evil Smile

I think at the moment they cannot give you the choice, because they haven't even implemented the feature. I guess they feel it would bring them into trouble.

Give people the option and they will turn it on and they will complain with Kerio for not making the search faster/more efficient/less load on the server/better/etc. No amount of "use at you own discretion" messages etc. will change that. It's my guess that that's why it's not implemented. Kerio will not implement it until they are sure it will run without any problems on the vast majority of they customer's servers.
  •  
rblock

Hi,

do U know it there is any possibility to implement it by myself? Cool

Searching greetings

Reiner
--
Reiner Block
  •  
Nixs

Drop Google Desktop search onto the box, which runs on a local loopback address -- then use stunnel to get to that remotely..

Someone who did something very similar;
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3939

Of course, anyone then can search anyone else's e-mails.

Seems to me that Kerio could have a background process which runs at low priority and has idle capabilities if disk utilization is too high (Microsoft provides these stats if you enable them.) The process would keep updated indexes of e-mail available for searching via webmail/KOC. New/changed/deleted e-mails would be appended to a file from which this process would then scan from.

You would require at least double the disk space, but that'd be worth it to me.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 April 2008 16:29]

Previous Topic: Calendar Sharing Questions
Next Topic: Can't view message headers with KOFF
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 04:59:40 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00466 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.