Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Windows 2008 support?
  •  
derekrost

Send a private message to this user
I'm building a new server for our office (the current 8-year old one is just begging to fall apart).

I'm thinking of switching to Kerio from Mdeamon, but need to know whether Windows 2008 is supported.

Anyone try it? I don't think there is official support yet, is there?
  •  
willowsv

Just curious but if this is JUST going to be a Kerio Mail server do you need Windows 2008?

Kerio will run quite happily on a copy of XP or Vista. Of course ignore me just curious Smile
  •  
scottwilkins

Kerio server is a very well written and properly coded (to MS specifications) application that should run on any flavor of Windows. So many programs that fail under Vista/2003/2008 were not properly coded to MS specifications. Kerio's good a following those, so you should have no problems.

Mdeamon allows a trial install, do that first to see the differences. You may miss a lot of nice features that Kerio just does better, IMHO. For instance Kerio is much better at mobile phone/pda syncing than Mdeamon. And much easier to admin and easier for the users. Mdeamon's web mail also requires the same plug-in that's used for Outlook to work 100%, where Kerio's web-mail is 100% in I.E. without any special installs. The only plus I found with Mdeamon since Kerio 6.5.0 was they have built in instant messenging, where Kerio doesn't... Anyway, that's what I know about the 2 compared side by side.
  •  
derekrost

Thanks for the feedback.

It was pretty simple to set up, and it seems to be working. I do have a number of issues but they don't affect my basic use of it.

The server is not JUST for mail, but also the central file server, 'domain controller' (without ADS), etc. The old server lasted for 7-8 years so I figured I would create a new machine that would hopefully last just as long.

The issues I have are:
Logon error message for Outlook 2007 clients (this is apparently a MS problem trying to do NTLM authentication even though we are not using it. The user sends/receives fine (without KOFF installed so far) but we just get this extra error message in the log)
WebMail is not working. This is perhaps an installation issue but I haven't had a chance to really work on it. I installed Kerio before IIS (or rather adding the Web Server role to the Windows 2008). Installing the role works, but the I get errors that indicate that port 80 is already bound to another application (Kerio, I guess, but I am not sure). Windows 2008 also has a fairly complicated Firewall setup and I probably don't have that configured correctly. Again, I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

In short, happy camper.
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

IIS and Kerio Mailserver both want to juse port 80.

You can configure the mailserver to use another port.
  •  
samirski

In my case the IIS and Kerio listen on the different IP addresses. If you have a similar situation then look at the following article (the IIS part for that matter):

http://weblogs.asp.net/steveschofield/archive/2007/07/06/iis 7-post-44-iis7-and-apache-on-the-same-machine.aspx
Previous Topic: Why deleting of messages from Inbox folder through web-mail occurs so slowly?
Next Topic: Outlook Performance vs Mailstore size - 6.5 critical performance issues
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 07:06:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00455 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.