Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Important: Issues with updates KB946983 and KB952142 for Outlook 2007 with KOC
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Important notice:

Security update KB946983 for Outlook 2007 released by Microsoft in March may cause various problems with Outlook. Some users reported non-functional public or shared folders in the Kerio Outlook Connector and problems with sending/receiving e-mails in other email providers (IMAP, POP3).

The update KB946983 does seem to have some errors and we don't recommend installation until it will be fixed.

According to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-015. mspx, Outlook 2007 with Service Pack 1 isn't affected by security error which is solved by update KB946983.

Microsoft states that:
Quote:
I use 2007 Microsoft Office System Service Pack 1. Why am I still being offered this update?
2007 Microsoft Office System Service Pack 1 is not impacted by the security vulnerabilities documented in this bulletin. However, users will still be offered this update because the update files for 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 1 are newer (with higher version numbers) than the files that currently on your system. We have thoroughly tested this update, but as with all updates, we recommend that users perform testing appropriate to their environment and configurations of their systems.

Solution:
1. Remove security update KB946983
2. Install Service Pack 1 for Outlook 2007. (Or make sure it is already installed).

[Updated on: Wed, 09 March 2011 22:40]

•  
ptireland

This is information, I would liked to have had before pushing it out. I assumed it had been tested before being released. Now my Office 2007 users are having a hard time.

Also, it would be nice if Kerio let us know when we updated the server, that it would require all of the users to upgrade their outlook connectors.
  •  
sedell

ptireland wrote on Wed, 14 May 2008 11:41

This is information, I would liked to have had before pushing it out. I assumed it had been tested before being released. Now my Office 2007 users are having a hard time.

Normally I would agree about their communication lacking, but on this one I disagree. I've seen lots about issues with this MS patch, and I believe there was something about it in their monthly newsletter as well. At any rate, it's a major glaring problem you can't miss, so if you had tested it out even on one or two computers prior to deploying, you would have caught it.

ptireland wrote on Wed, 14 May 2008 11:41

Also, it would be nice if Kerio let us know when we updated the server, that it would require all of the users to upgrade their outlook connectors.

This one you should have known about. It's all over the documentation. The Outlook connector updates are handled automatically, so it's generally not an issue.

Scott
  •  
ptireland

1) I don't get a monthly newsletter.

2) What documentation? My server said I needed an update so I told it to install. Perhaps the admin console should display such warnings when new updates are released. Am I able to trust Kerio, or do I have to read a book every time Kerio releases a new update?

Lastly, when will they have a patch that will allow the Kerio Outlook connector to work while still having the Microsoft update installed?

[Updated on: Sat, 17 May 2008 01:19]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think I should make ti more clear. Microsoft update was released after KMS 6.5.0 release. I doubt it was tested by Microsoft with KOC.
Anyway, the update is buggy - it was confirmed by Microsoft and they offer a hotfix (you need to ask them). The update broke many things in Outlook (including POP3 and IMAP). It is not specifically related to KOC.

We could not make a patch for it - we are not developing Outlook and there is nothing we can do in KOC.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

And most important is: you don't need that update if you're running SP1 for Outlook 2007.
  •  
germanr

Pavel,
The problematic update name is KB946983. The title of the the post is incorrect (it says KB946938) . However inside of the post it is correctly named.

regards

German Ruiz

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
danoli

Looks like the days are gone where server administrators thoroughly test before applying an update.

ptireland wrote on Sat, 17 May 2008 00:17

2) What documentation? My server said I needed an update so I told it to install. Perhaps the admin console should display such warnings when new updates are released. Am I able to trust Kerio, or do I have to read a book every time Kerio releases a new update?

Lastly, when will they have a patch that will allow the Kerio Outlook connector to work while still having the Microsoft update installed?

•  
sedell

danoli wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 17:38

Looks like the days are gone where server administrators thoroughly test before applying an update.

ptireland wrote on Sat, 17 May 2008 00:17

2) What documentation? My server said I needed an update so I told it to install.

They days are also gone where "administrators" read documentation to know how a system they have to administer works before they start pushing buttons.

Scott
  •  
ptireland

Welcome to the 21st century. Those days ended after NT 4 replaced NT 3.51. Updates are released too frequently, companies don't supply a test lab or enough staff to run them, and people have come to expect a little service for their money so the responsibility of testing updates or patches rests on the shoulders of those who publish them.

This means Kerio is responsible for any problems or incompatibility issues between their product updates and those of the operating systems they claim that products works on.

It seems like some people have forgotten how to answer questions politely like a decent human being without giving a snotty or sarcastic remark or telling someone to R.T.F.M.

The purpose of this website is for people to share information and seek answers to common problems. It's not a place for some users to act better than others just because they've been using the product a bit longer. Why not just call me a newb while you're at it?

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2008 01:40]

•  
danoli

ptireland wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 00:20

Welcome to the 21st century. Those days ended after NT 4 replaced NT 3.51. Updates are released too frequently, companies don't supply a test lab or enough staff to run them, and people have come to expect a little service for their money so the responsibility of testing updates or patches rests on the shoulders of those who publish them.

Maybe on a single PC getting a windows update, but on a Server possibly serving 10, 100 or even 1,000 users? 1st rule, do you even need the update. You need to read the docs to see what the update does to see if it is of use to you. It may be documented that it significantly changes something that could infact break another system you have. The server did not tell you to install it, it told you an update was available.

Quote:

This means Kerio is responsible for any problems or incompatibility issues between their product updates and those of the operating systems they claim that products works on.

I suspect they do take responsibility, i.e., a fault is reported, they test and fix. It is still YOUR responsibility to ensure that the product you purchase and install does NOT interfere with other application/hardware that Kerio are unaware you are running.

Quote:

It seems like some people have forgotten how to answer questions politely like a decent human being without giving a snotty or sarcastic remark or telling someone to R.T.F.M.

Check your initial post, our answers are in the same tone you used. At the end of the day, if an answer is published in a manual, then why the hell should WE read the manual and re-write the answer for you.

Quote:

The purpose of this website is for people to share information and seek answers to common problems. It's not a place for some users to act better than others just because they've been using the product a bit longer. Why not just call me a newb while you're at it?

Ther is nothing wrong with being a newb, but if there is a manual produced for a product, then it is there for a reason. TO READ. You have basically informed us all that you are managing a product and havent read the F manual (as you put it)

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2008 02:07]

•  
ptireland

danoli wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 17:02

Maybe on a single PC getting a windows update, but on a Server possibly serving 10, 100 or even 1,000 users? 1st rule, do you even need the update. You need to read the docs to see what the update does to see if it is of use to you. It may be documented that it significantly changes something that could infact break another system you have. The server did not tell you to install it, it told you an update was available.

The rule is all updates are intended to fix something and all updates are supposed to be tested by the people making them before they are released to the public. This doesn't change whether it's a single computer or a million. Being available, means being needed.

I suspect they do take responsibility, i.e., a fault is reported, they test and fix. It is still YOUR responsibility to ensure that the product you purchase and install does NOT interfere with other application/hardware that Kerio are unaware you are running.

The only thing running on the server is the server and Kerio. Kerio says their product works with the server. This means when Kerio releases an update or a patch, it has been tested by Kerio to work with the OS it was intended for and all of the updates created for it.

Check your initial post, our answers are in the same tone you used. At the end of the day, if an answer is published in a manual, then why the hell should WE read the manual and re-write the answer for you.

Nobody is forcing you to answer something that may or may not be in the manual. Some of us are far too busy to read the whole manual every time we have a problem. It's much easier to just ask people who may know the answer. In the future, if you don't want to provide a polite and concise solution to a problem, try remaining silent rather than making a snide remark. As they say, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Anything I've said about the product or the company not testing has nothing to do with the users of this forum so if the tone sounded unpleasant it's in reaction to an unpleasant experience I've had with the product. I don't think it's too much to ask that all updates and/or patches are thoroughly tested with Microsoft, Apple OSX, various Linux distros, etc. and with various clients to ensure that there are no problems. The responsibility of testing updates belongs to the company who produces them, not on the people who install them.

Ther is nothing wrong with being a newb, but if there is a manual produced for a product, then it is there for a reason. TO READ. You have basically informed us all that you are managing a product and havent read the F manual (as you put it)

The manual isn't very user friendly or well organized, and I don't believe it covers everything. For instance, the manual doesn't mention that when the server is updated, all users will be sent a message to update their connector. It's much easier to simply ask the friendly people in a forum who are willing to offer suggestions or help.

I have no ax to grind with any of the user's here, but I resent being told RTFM by people when the manual doesn't cover everything, and the purpose of this forum is to be able to ask questions without having to scour through the damn manual. I should be able to simply ask people, and if someone knows the answer and is inclined to share it, they share.

Haven't you ever used a knowledge base before?
  •  
sonofcolin

Quote:

Nobody is forcing you to answer something that may or may not be in the manual. Some of us are far too busy to read the whole manual every time we have a problem. It's much easier to just ask people who may know the answer. In the future, if you don't want to provide a polite and concise solution to a problem, try remaining silent rather than making a snide remark. As they say, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

It is also a good idea to search the forum first as well as the manual (it's a .pdf and searching works very well). No need to read whole manual or forum. From your post, it sounds like you're too lazy to find the answer yourself even when the answer is in the manual and has been answered here repeatedly. Some of us (like me) receive all posts by email. Yours was not really necessary and a waste of bandwidth. Good day sir.
  •  
danoli

The phrase 'Fighting a losing battle' springs to mind. Rolling Eyes
AndreasL

Hello Everyone,

I have to make my first post because I run in real trouble with this patch.

Environment: Win2003R2 Terminalserver in a domain, Office 2007 SBS

I get the crash, go to system/software and find the patch. I deinstall it. OL2007 runs fine. Then I go to MS update and do a new search. I get some updates of the last days and the problem patch too. I remove the check (I be sure!) and say dont install this again. I get the response that I have unchecked patch.

So I let install the rest of it, reboot the server, start OL2007 and get the crash again Shocked

I review installed software, no sign of the patch!? I got to windows updates, let scan the server and I dont get the offer to install the patch and my exclude is gone!

To verify I download the patch by hand, set the server to installation mode and try to install it. The installer say: allready installed but absolut no sighn of it in installed software.

Now I sit here and have no clue what to do next and how to remove it from this server. I do a registry scan and found some entrys about the patch number.

Can anyone tell me how to remove it?

/update:
I try to remove it with: msiexec /package {my office guid} /uninstall "path to patch.msp" /qb
patch.msp is the extracted 946983 patch. The guid I found while searching the 946983 in the registry. It was only one place. The command runs smooth but recheck in windows update and try to install the patch again bring: patch is allready installed. I cant uninstall it.

Should I wait for a KOFF who runs with this patch installed?

Regards
Andreas

PS: please ingore my spelling mistakes, english is not my first language.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 July 2008 01:10]

Previous Topic: Office 12.1.9 - safe to install?
Next Topic: Number of displayed messages in Webmail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 06:00:07 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00580 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.