Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail Filters that Move Mail From The Server
  •  
jaikudo

Send a private message to this user
We did our full migration to KMS today. Everything is going OK but users are waking up to the requirement to archive their old email from their quotaed storage on the server to their unquotaed local folders.

Some are very keen to have message rules do some of the work for them. A few of them would even like to go back to POP3, although I really want to avoid this. What they want is message rules that read their KMS email and move the appropriate messages into a folder in their local folder hierarchy. Is there any way to give them what they want?

Obviously these message rules would need to run in the local mail clients as KMS does not have access to anybody's local folders. I have tried to get this working without success.

Can anybody tell if this is possible and, if so, how to set this up in:
* Outlook?
* Outlook Express?

Outlook (with KOC) lets you set up rules on the KMS store and it works when you run them manually but it doesn't seem to run them automatically when new messages are received.

Outlook Express doesn't even seem to give you an option to apply a rule to an IMAP folder. Am I missing something here?

Yes, I know that Outlook Express is horrible and that the best solution would be to kill it off, but we have a lot of users with lots of old e-mail in OE so I have to at least try to keep them happy.
  •  
sedell

Sounds like someone needs to read the manual. It's usually a good idea before a full deployment.

Anyhow, if your Outlook rules only work when you manually run them, but not when mail is delivered, you are using the wrong rules. The built-in Outlook rules/filters do not function with KOC or KOFF. You have to use the rules you get through KMS, which are available through KOC or KOFF, as well as webmail. These rules will work with KOC, KOFF, Webmail, and IMAP clients (like Outlook Express), but for IMAP clients they have to be set up through webmail since they don't have a way to connect to create or modify them.

The filtering gets done on the server, so a client does not need to be connected for them to work. Since the mail is filtered on the server, the rules won't work with POP3 client since they can only see the inbox. POP3 client rules would still have to be done through the client's built-in filtering rules, after you disable all of the server side rules.

Scott
  •  
jaikudo

sedell wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 13:14

Anyhow, if your Outlook rules only work when you manually run them, but not when mail is delivered, you are using the wrong rules. The built-in Outlook rules/filters do not function with KOC or KOFF. You have to use the rules you get through KMS, which are available through KOC or KOFF, as well as webmail. These rules will work with KOC, KOFF, Webmail, and IMAP clients (like Outlook Express), but for IMAP clients they have to be set up through webmail since they don't have a way to connect to create or modify them.

Sorry, I am very confused now. Are you saying that the KMS server side filters can put mail into the user's local folders in Outlook? I simply assumed that this was not possible and never even looked into that possibility. I will look into it now.

Any thoughts on Outlook Express? Is that a dead loss?
  •  
sedell

jaikudo wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 09:09

Sorry, I am very confused now. Are you saying that the KMS server side filters can put mail into the user's local folders in Outlook? I simply assumed that this was not possible and never even looked into that possibility. I will look into it now.

If you're using KOC or KOFF, the mail is not local, it's stored on the server.

jaikudo wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 09:09

Any thoughts on Outlook Express? Is that a dead loss?

Just set up the rules in webmail if you're using IMAP.

Scott
  •  
jaikudo

sedell wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 14:12

If you're using KOC or KOFF, the mail is not local, it's stored on the server.

No. Not all of it. I think you are missing the point of what we are trying to achieve.

Each user has mail on the server, with a quota.

Each user also has mail in local folders on their PC, with no quota, in either Outlook or Outlook Express.

Each user has two distinct folder hierarchies in their mail client. They think of them as "old server" and "new server" but really it is local folders and KMS folders.

The users need both types because they can't keep an unlimited quantity of mail on the server and because the local folders contain all their old mail downloaded from our old POP3 server.

What they want is a way to have a message filter which moves some of their mail automatically from the server's folders to the local folders for archiving purposes.

Maybe they are just too lazy to archive stuff manually to their local folders but I would like to accomodate them if it is possible.

I really don't want any of them going back to POP3, as that would pretty much negate all the advantages of using KMS (for that user).

[Updated on: Wed, 09 April 2008 15:39]

Previous Topic: Kerio Webmail required enhancements
Next Topic: Global Email password change
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:18:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00448 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.