Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » VPN DHCP issue
  •  
mct62

Send a private message to this user
I hve noticed an issue running VPN client (latest version) on Vista SP1. According to Vista event log, the PC is renewing it's DHCP lease every five seconds. Without VPN connection established, it ends up with a default "local" Ip address. With connection established it gets a valid address, but still seems to keep renewing it anyway.

I changed the PC to use that IP address on the Kerio adapter statically. This probably isn't desirable, but it still seems to work OK and makes the dhcp renewal thing stop happening.

I'm prepared to bet that the same thing happens under XP...visible side effect being that the URL line in the Explorer keeps overwriting what you type in if you aren't quick enough. I believe this is somehow related to dhcp renewal.

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,
mct
  •  
winkelman

Quote:

visible side effect being that the URL line in the Explorer keeps overwriting what you type in if you aren't quick enough.

You are fully correct. And this does also happen in XP.

Kerio is aware of this problem, but won't fix it. They say their way of VPN implementing needs the 5 second renewal. (My way of saying it.)

The solution is to assign a static IP address to the VPN user (in the user's configuration) and also manually configure the clients VPN adapter to static IP using the same IP.

It is obviously important that the IP assigned to the user and the IP assigned to the VPN adapter are the same.

To me this is a big bug in Kerio, but it's been like this for as long as I'm using KWF (couple of years). There have been long discussions about this awhile back on this forum.
  •  
mct62

Thanks for the confirmation of what I'm seeing. Of course, on Vista this particularly annoying because the event log just fills up with dhcp renewal informational messages. (Doesn't happen on XP).

I will go for the static method.

Kerio: I think you should revisit this, because apart from it just being "strange behaviour", it also has a performance implication when running vpn over a slow link (isdn).

Cheers...
Previous Topic: Https Authentication
Next Topic: can't login to certain websites
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:56:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00345 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.