Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC 6.5.0 problems
  •  
DionH

Send a private message to this user
Before I start with the issues I have, let me first give a brief outline of the network topology that the mail server resides in.

The network was set up to service the needs of two companies, let’s call them CompA and CompB, that are owned by the same person and reside in the same building. The system uses a Win2003 Domain controller and the domain is set up as CompA.Local. The mail server is part of this domain and acts as a relay server only, fetching mail from an ISP drop box (where the CompA.co.za and CompB.co.za MX records reside) and then distributing the mail to the correct mailboxes for each user. CompA still uses POP3 whilst CompB have moved over to using IMAP, to utilise the shared calendar and tasks facilities that IMAP offers. All outgoing email is sent though the local SAIX (South African Internet Exchange) relay server.

This is a system that has worked well for some time now, and because I have been able to set the Send From field on the client itself, I’ve had no problems with relay permissions, or having the correct email address display on the receiver end, whenever a user sends mail to a client.

Unfortunately this all changed when I upgraded to 6.5.0. My POP3 and Webmail clients all work as per usual, with the client From settings being passed over to the mail server when the email goes out, but with the IMAP clients, using the new 6.5.0 KOC, this is simply not working. On the PC’s that use Office2003, I can see a field for specifying the from address, but the mail server still sends mail out as User<_a.t_>CompA.local and not User<_a.t_>CompB.co.za even though the KOC is set to send as User<_a.t_>CompB.co.za. On PC’s running Office2007, I can’t even find the KOC tab to even change the settings.

Now this is causing two issues. The first and most urgent is that the SAIX relay server refuses to accept any mail for which there are no MX records, and as CompA.local is not a registered domain, none of the IMAP clients can now send any email. The second is that, even if I could get SAIX to accept CompA.local as a relay address, it would still be sending it out as User<_a.t_>CompA.local and not User<_a.t_>CompB.co.za.

When I first noticed the problem, I contacted the local SA support branch of Kerio, who have been very supportive in the past. They suggested that the problem was with the name of the domain ending in .local and not a qualified domain suffix like .com or .co.za. I then contacted the UK branch that suggested that I change the domain name for the mail server to CompA.co.za and then just hook it up to the CompA.local domain. Whilst at first this sounded like a feasible, if somewhat drastic, solution it would still leave me with the problem that I can now only send out mail from one domain whereas I need to send out mail from two domains.

As you can see, this has left me in a bit of a pickle. As things stand I can think of a few solutions, none of which I’m happy to implement as well as a few that are just not practical for us:

1. I can roll back my mail server to version 6.3 or 6.4, and cancel my yearly support contract. Running the old version until something better comes along.

2. I can buy a second mail server so that both companies have their own. Something that the owner is never going to agree too.

3. I can have my IMAP users use Webmail, as they are currently doing, but this creates a host of other problems.

4. Or (which is what I’m hoping for) there is a problem with KOC 6.5.0 that is easy to patch or adjust and I can go back to using my mail system as it was before the upgrade.

If anybody could come up with any suggestions as to how I might resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Regards,

Dion Hamman
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I have couple of questions:
Did you update KADE on domain server?
Did you modify/change user mapping file in KMS?
What are the e-mail domain names in KMS?
  •  
DionH

To answer your question:

I did not update KADE nor did I make any changes to the user mappings file in KMS.
The primary domain in KMS is CompA.local with two aliases. CompA.co.za and CompB.co.za

•  
sedell

You should always update KADE on the domain controllers with the matching version to the KMS server. That's what updates the Active Directory schema with the KMS specific attributes. If there were any changes or updates made to the schema between versions, you could be in for lots of problems.

Scott
  •  
DionH

OK, I will update the KADE on my DC this afternoon as soon as everybody has gone home. Is there anything I should look out for, or do, before I run the new version. Uninstall the old one, for example? Do you think that this will resolve the issue?

I'm still in the dark as to weather this is an error in the KOC or other part of the MS (on my part or Kerio's) or weather it was purposefully done to comply with some or other standard.
  •  
sedell

I install it as an upgrade. I can't confirm this, but I suspect uninstalling it would delete the extended fields that were added to the AD schema for KMS use, and you could end up losing your AD integrated accounts and settings.

I also can't confirm it will fix your specific problem, but I know the KADE has to match the server version, just like KOC and KOFF do. If any of the fields in the schema were changed for whatever reason in 6.5, it could certainly cause problems.

Scott
  •  
DionH

Thanks for the advice. Last night I installed the matching KADE on the DC and then rebooted the DC and the MS. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

While we're on the subject, anybody know where to find the KOC tab in Outlook 2007?
  •  
DionH

How long does Kerio usually take to get back to you with a solution? It's been over a week now and all I've recieved is a notice saying that they've received my ticket.
  •  
sedell

In my experience, recently, it's been taking 4-6 days to get an initial response to a submitted ticket. If you need a faster resolution, you have to call.

Scott
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

After installing KADE 6.5.0 custom From address in KOC setting has to be set again to take effect.
  •  
DionH

I've been playing around with the diffrent connectors and I've found that this problem only occurs in KOC 6.5 with offline caching. When I install the connector without offline caching, the send to field works perfectly.

Unfortunately this doesn't help my laptop users, but the rest of the users can now use Outlook to send and receive mail. The other problem with Outlook 2007, where the Kerio Tab is missing in Tools-->Options is still occuring regardles of connector type.
  •  
sedell

DionH wrote on Tue, 15 April 2008 04:10

The other problem with Outlook 2007, where the Kerio Tab is missing in Tools-->Options is still occuring regardles of connector type.

It could be that the addon got disabled by Outlook (in OL2003 - Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook -> Disabled Items). I don't see how that would happen to everyone though - it's usually a PC here or there after an Outlook crash. Unless it's just an OL2007 issue with the addons.

Scott
  •  
DionH

Has anybody else had this problem. Kerio support mailed me the other day saying that they can replicate the probelm. No solution so far though.
Previous Topic: RAID 5
Next Topic: yum update to clamav?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 22:34:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00564 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.