Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Setup mailserver to receive external email (Need help setting up server to receive external email)
  •  
aidenous

Send a private message to this user
I have setup Kerio Mailserver and can email myself and send email to other domains and they receive it fine. I cannot receive email from external or other domains. What am I missing here? This is a new domain that is hosted but I don't want to push the pop3 mail to this server as I feel it would be better to receive the email directly is this correct? If so what have I not done correctly?

We have a static IP address lets say of 65.2.192.32 and I am assuming this address needs to be set in dns somewhere but I don't know where. The company where the domain is hosted currently has a MX record and name servers and pointing to their servers. There is also a decicated ip address there as well. Lets say they are ip 76.164.42.110 and names servers as ns7.ixwebhosting.com -> 72.28.255.99

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I never did find on the Kerio Mailserver anywhere to setup our own IP address. Thanks
  •  
BudDurland

For e-mail from outside your domain to be delivered to your Kerio server, you have to have an 'A' record that defines yur mail server's name, and an 'MX' record defined for your domain.

If your domain is 'example.com', and the IP address of your mail server is 12.34.56.78, you need:

*) an 'A' record that defines 'mail.example.com' as 12.34.56.78

*) an 'MX' record that points incoming mail for 'example.com' to 'mail.example.com'

The kerio server should be configured to use the host name used in the first bullet

If you have a firewall or router between your mail server and the internet (good practice!), you need to use the external IP address of the firewall, and you need to configure the firewall to allow incoming SMTP traffic.

Hope this helps

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
aidenous

I setup the A record and MX to point to our domain and ip address. After 24 hours I am still not receiving external email. I know it takes 24-48 hours but when using an online test to check my mx records they are correct. Not sure what else I need to do.
  •  
Lyle M

Use the host (*nix, osx) command or nslookup (all) to query the DNS.

eg. host x.x.x.x (lookup x.x.x.x using the default DNS of the current system)
or
host x.x.x.x y.y.y.y (lookup x.x.x.x using the DNS at y.y.y.y)

If the DNS looks ok, you should be able to telnet to the smtp port on your server using the domain:

telnet mail.example.com 25

It wouldn't hurt to check if your server is receiving smtp at all:

telnet x.x.x.x 25

If that doesn't work, check your firewall to ensure it is allowing port 25 traffic. The Kerio server should also have the smtp service running and accessible for the correct port - see "services" in the admin console.

It's been several days since your question, so I'm guessing you've likely already figured most of this out.

Good luck,
Lyle
Previous Topic: Bi-directional synchronization with Sync Connector Tiger (10.4)
Next Topic: "Sent Items" folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 14:20:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00373 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.