Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOFF Automatic Update
  •  
jtoussaint

Send a private message to this user
Does KOFF automatically update itself like KOC does when a KMS update is loaded?
  •  
evsmetal

Yes and no. Shocked

I must start by saying I've done 3 in-place KMS upgrades so far, and the connector auto-update worked great each time.

However, last night I upgraded my KMS to 6.5.1, and my KOFF auto-updated when starting Outlook 2003. So, I went home and thought all was well, until I got phone calls to my cell phone this morning that users couldn't get into their mailbox via Outlook. (Saying YES to the auto-update prompt, the 'download' portion never started, even after 15 minutes to 1 hour.)

So for most of the rest of my users, the auto-update failed this time out. I had to go to each machine and manually run the connector install of either KOC or KOFF. (I'm only running 2 KOFF installs, the rest are all still using KOC.)

I looked at both the server logs and KMS logs, but nothing indicated why the client auto-update failed. To complicate matters worse, I had one other PC that did auto-update correctly. The users told me they even tried rebooting and doing the update with no other tasks running.

So, in the future, it would be nice if Kerio logged failed upgraded attempts somewhere. (And if it already does, can someone please point it out to me!) Rolling Eyes

Server: Win2003, Clients: Outlook 2003
  •  
sedell

KMS won't log any errors. The update is a function of the client, so the client handles that. If there is a problem, KMS might not even get contacted, so there's no way for it to really know an update is failing.

Check in the install directory. There's an updater.log file. Hopefully that'll point out what's preventing the update from running.

Scott
  •  
na_tech

I have identical problems with our 40-some Outlook clients. Even after confirming the update and waiting a fair bit of time, KOFF auto update will always fail from 3-5 users every time I patch the server.

Just to be sure, all of my XP clients are P4, Pentium D or Core 2 Duo machines at the latest patch level (WSUS takes care of this for me on a weekly basis) and my mail server is a dual Xeon Xserve beast. Since we are almost entirely a Mac shop (private school), and most of my clients are on Entourage or just use Webmail, this isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to know exactly what's going on here.

My only other thought was traffic congestion. Our current network backbone is a lowly 200mbit aggregated link with some ancient switches. I'm looking to flip the switch on our new Layer 3 ProCurve switches with a 1gbit fiber backbone this Thursday. I'll se if it helps.

Incidentally, I noticed your name was evsmetal and your location is NJ. Would this be EVS Metal in Riverdale, NJ? I used to live in Pompton Lakes (now in Kinnelon) and pass by your location when I'm driving down Riverdale Road on a daily basis. Small world Smile

•  
neilwr

I have just update my mail server from kerio 6.5.0 to kerio mail server 6.5.1 and all went well with server upgrade.

But all my desktops did not auto update the KOC from 6.5.0 to 6.5.1.

I got a error saying you have out connector 6.5.0 and you requrie 6.5.1.

I have to manually go around all my desktops and install the 6.5.1 over the top of the 6.5.0 connector for outlook 2007 sp1 to work.

Any body know why the auto update did not happen?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I've upgraded KMS, but the Outlook Connector was not upgraded on client computers: http://support.kerio.com/kb/226

I would also add one possible reason: Webmail is running on non-standard port and this port for HTTP is not setup in KOC account settings.
  •  
neilwr

Thanks Mate.

I now understand.
  •  
evsmetal

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Tue, 27 May 2008 17:30

I've upgraded KMS, but the Outlook Connector was not upgraded on client computers: http://support.kerio.com/kb/226

Quote:

Webmail is not accessible from the client.

By default, updates are performed using HTTP (TCP port 80). If this port is not accessible from the client computer, the Kerio Outlook Connector will not be able to check for updates. As long as the Kerio Webmail is accessible from the client computer, then the Kerio Outlook Connector will be able to download updates.

I would also add one possible reason: Webmail is running on non-standard port and this port for HTTP is not setup in KOC account settings.

No joy for me. My KMS install uses the standard ports, and when the auto-update failed, they used web mail temporarily (port 80) until I could get to their machine to manually install the new connector version.

I haven't had time to see what the upgrade log says on the client PC.. maybe that'll shed some light on it..

But it seems that I'm not the only one with the issue, so it does look like a KMS issue (somehow..)
  •  
evsmetal

sedell wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 07:23

KMS won't log any errors. The update is a function of the client, so the client handles that. If there is a problem, KMS might not even get contacted, so there's no way for it to really know an update is failing.

Check in the install directory. There's an updater.log file. Hopefully that'll point out what's preventing the update from running.

Isn't KMS using Apache? Wouldn't there be server-side Apache logs somewhere? Mightn't it tell me if/why the HTTP(S) connection failed?
  •  
sedell

You can enable HTTP logging in the debug log. In the past, mass KOC update failures were because the clients weren't contacting the server - non-standard HTTP port and client isn't set to match, webmail turned off, firewall blocking the connection, etc. The HTTP log might tell you something, if the clients are connecting. If they're not connecting, you can confirm that at least.

Scott
  •  
rigo

so how is KOFF updated, guess it checks server and KOFF knows that it needs to be updated--so how does it know where to download the new version of KOFF, is it on a server directory when the server was updated--or does it go to Kerio.com

just wondering, thanks.
Previous Topic: Using Kerio and Outlook with several E-mails
Next Topic: iPhone and KMS Version
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 22:51:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.